Comment: I've recently heard a rumor going around that a group of people
visiting a Japanese restaurant in Boulder Colorado died from eating
blowfish that was improperly prepared. The number of people who died
varies depending on who tells it( six to a dozen), but they all claim
there's one survivor out of the group. I know fuga fish can be poisonous
if it is filleted the wrong way but I haven't been able to find such a
story involving a large group of people in the US let alone Colorado.
Different sources site the number of fuga deaths from a dozen a year to
upwards of a hundred.
A Google search turned up this topic as the first reply, and nothing very helpful after that. A search of the Boulder Daily Camera found nothing back to the beginning of 2007 when searched under "puffer fish," "fugu," "japanese," "restaurant death," "sushi," "blow fish," or "blowfish." I did find articles about people in Thailand and Cambodia dying after eating puffer fish that was incorrectly labeled, in August and September 2007 respectively.
There are only 17 restaurants in the US that have chefs that are licensed to serve fugu. 12 are in New York. I found one (Wasabi Sushi Bar) in Denver whose chef is apparently licensed to prepare fugu (it's not on the menu), although it is not listed on this NPR page showing all the United States restaurants that serve fugu.
Fugu me, "The Simpsons" was right all along...
|All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.