snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Inboxer Rebellion (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   10 Illegal Alien Facts (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=25132)

Ariadne 31 January 2008 09:19 PM

10 Illegal Alien Facts

Saw this on MySpace...it was a graphic on someone's comment space, so I have retyped it here for your, um...pleasure? Imagine these typed in white on dark blue background with flashing streaks of lightning.

10 Illegal Alien Facts

1. More than 43% of all Food Stamps are given to illegals.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles for illegals.

3. Less than 2% of illegals are picking crops, but 41% are on welfare.

4. More than 66% of all births in California are to illegals on Medi-Cal, paid by the US TAXPAYER.

5. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties in U.S. are illegals.

6. More than 39% of California students grades 1-12 are illegals.

7. 75% of L.A.'s Most Wanted are illegals.

8. More than half of all gang members are illegals.

9. US companies using illegals in 2005 profited over 2.36 TRILLION dollars.

10. US Tax payers are footing the bill for ALL illegals.

Now I don't see how most (if not all) of these can possibly be true, or even how reliable statistics would be possible for most of these. For example, on number 9, how exactly would one determine which US companies employ illegal immigrants? Would just one illegal immigrant be enough to put a business in this category, or is there a certain number or percentage of such workers that would have to be met? I am so confused!

Buckle Up 31 January 2008 09:38 PM

1. cite, please?
2. cite, please?
3. cite, please?
4. cite, please?
5. cite, please?
6. cite, please?
7. cite, please?
8. cite, please?
9. cite, please?
10. cite, please?

:)

Canuckistan 31 January 2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariadne (Post 493197)
Would just one illegal immigrant be enough to put a business in this category

My guess: Not even.

Tarquin Farquart 31 January 2008 09:42 PM

Illegal is not a noun.

KKHB 31 January 2008 09:43 PM

Isn't the more politically correct term for illegal aliens, "undocumented workers"?
And to accurately compile these statistics, wouldn't there need to be some sort of documentation? So clearly this is BS because the numbers are unknowable.

Yeah I know there are all kinds of holes in that theory, but it sounded better than just saying it sounds like BS to me.

Buckle Up 31 January 2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

3. Less than 2% of illegals are picking crops

Duh...it's January!

Chloe 31 January 2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Illegal is not a noun.
Tell that to the Daily Mail.

Which seems to me an excellent reason to object to the usage.

BringTheNoise 31 January 2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckistan (Post 493224)
My guess: Not even.

I imagine employing one Latino person would be enough to "qualify" to the author of this drivel.

Tarquin Farquart 31 January 2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe (Post 493232)
Tell that to the Daily Mail.

I've tried, but they moderate their comments.

Avril 31 January 2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKHB (Post 493230)
Isn't the more politically correct term for illegal aliens, "undocumented workers"?

Only if they're working. What would they be if they were on government assistance?

Illegal immigrants works fine for me. Better than "illegals," which is vague. What crime? Also, it makes it seem as though their mere existence is illegal, rather than their specific act of immigrating illegally. If "illegals" are people who break the law, well, then, duh, of course murderers and gang members are illegals! :fish:

Avril

Tarquin Farquart 31 January 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

9. US companies using illegals in 2005 profited over 2.36 TRILLION dollars.

Aren't profits a good thing? Why does this person hate capitalism?

Chloe 31 January 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 493245)
Illegal immigrants works fine for me. Better than "illegals," which is vague. What crime? Also, it makes it seem as though their mere existence is illegal, rather than their specific act of immigrating illegally.

Yes, I agree that is the point of using the term. I hate hate hate that sort of rhetorical chicanery. :mad: If you're on the side of right, you shouldn't need it.

Mad Jay 31 January 2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Saw this on MySpace...it was a graphic on someone's comment space, so I have retyped it here for your, um...pleasure? Imagine these typed in white on dark blue background with flashing streaks of lightning.

10 Illegal Alien Facts

1. More than 43% of all Food Stamps are given to illegals.

Whatchu talking about?
I thought illegal immigrants are not eligible for food stamps

Quote:

Which categories of aliens are ineligible for food stamps?

Individuals are prohibited from receiving food stamps under any circumstances if they
are:
lawfully residing in the United States in a non-qualified status and are not exempt
from the immigrant restrictions (such as students or qualified aliens who have not
been in status for five years); or
undocumented immigrants (such as individuals who entered the country as
temporary residents and overstayed their visas or who entered without a visa).

Maybe 47% of food stamps go to aliens, which includes refugees and asylees. I didn't find a cite. I'm just guessing

Deepfrydegg 31 January 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Illegal immigrants works fine for me. Better than "illegals," which is vague. What crime? Also, it makes it seem as though their mere existence is illegal, rather than their specific act of immigrating illegally. If "illegals" are people who break the law, well, then, duh, of course murderers and gang members are illegals! :fish:

I had that same argument with a co-worker who insisted that "those people deserve to be put into prison because they are breaking the law!"

My response was something to the effect of, "yes, they are breaking immigration law and possibly Tax law, but jail time is usually reserved for more serious offenses like 'criminal' law-breakers"

Many, many illegal imigrants have been made into "legal citizens." (no, I have no cite for the numbers :( )

I agree with others, the dreck posted is fake (or at least baseless). It is akin to the internet "fact" of "people eat 6 spiders a year, on average." :fish:

KKHB 31 January 2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Only if they're working. What would they be if they were on government assistance?

Which is only the most obvious of the glaring holes in that theory:) There are a ton of others, but the BS of the list in the OP remains.

Ariadne 31 January 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckle Up (Post 493222)
1. cite, please?
2. cite, please?
3. cite, please?
4. cite, please?
5. cite, please?
6. cite, please?
7. cite, please?
8. cite, please?
9. cite, please?
10. cite, please?

:)

That was pretty much my feeling when I saw this. Well, this was my first feeling: :mad: and then :rolleyes:.

snopes 31 January 2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

US companies using illegals in 2005 profited over 2.36 TRILLION dollars.

Isn't that a good thing? If we send all the illegals back, then those companies will have to move their operations there, and we'll lose trillions of dollars from our economy!

- snopes

surfcitydogdad 31 January 2008 11:09 PM

Yes, all these statistics are vague and subject to interpretation, and many are from dubious sources, as explained in the Snopes articles responding to these claims.

I have a friend who sends me all kinds of "inboxer" and "glurge" crap. Sometimes I respond with a Snopes link, other times I don't dignify with a response (sometimes I'm just not up to being riled up).

What gets me is sometimes I write back and ask - to a couple of people who forward me these things - you do realize I married an "illegal alien," don't you? Yet, I'm on their e-mail lists, so I get the anti-immigrant propaganda anyway. Of course, my wife will be officialized soon enough, but I obviously don't care who is in the US legally or not, as long as they aren't criminals, communists, or terrorists. If my DW hadn't overstayed her visa, I wouldn't have met her! I care about human rights, I care about love, but I clearly don't give a shit about government rules, immigration regulations, or other laws that infringe upon individual liberties.

I'm not too offended, or going to filter out these one or two people; it just shows me they just like to forward almost every piece of dubious political or "health" crap they receive, and just send it to everyone on their e-mail list. Jeez, when I forward a joke or something, I go thru my address book and individually choose which people l think would appreciate it.

Squirt 01 February 2008 10:21 AM

I read this as "10 Illegal Allen Facts". I was hoping to read a long rant against some guy named Allen. I was sadly disappointed.

nancyfancypants 01 February 2008 10:53 AM

I am so sick of hearing people moan about immigrants. The ones I hear moaning the loudest are children/grandchildren/etc. of immigrants. Have they all forgotten that? What's the difference between someone who leaves Mexico and comes to the U.S. in this century and all those who left there and other countries in the last century?

My paternal grandparents came here from Poland. My maternal great-grandparents came here from Yugoslavia and Ireland. If they hadn't, obviously I wouldn't exist. I'd love to add a comment to this person's MySpace that says, "Yeah? And where are your ancestors from?"