snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Questionable Quotes (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Neil Armstrong on aliens (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=90651)

urbanlegendfanatic 30 October 2014 10:16 AM

Neil Armstrong on aliens

This is all over Pinterest along with a picture of Neil Armstrong and I'd like to know if he really said anything like this and what the context was. It occurs to me he may have been talking about Russia rather than space aliens as the context implies.

Neil Armstrong: "I can't go into details, except to say that their ships were far superior to ours both in size and technology - Boy, were they big! No, there is no question of a space station."

snopes 30 October 2014 04:40 PM

It's just a made-up goof that some tinfoil hat types have taken too seriously:

Quote:

A certain professor, who wished to remain anonymous, was engaged in a discussion with Neil Armstrong during a NASA symposium.

Professor: What REALLY happened out there with Apollo 11?

Armstrong: It was incredible, of course we had always known there was a possibility, the fact is, we were warned off! (by the Aliens). There was never any question then of a space station or a moon city.

Professor: How do you mean "warned off"?

Armstrong: I can't go into details, except to say that their ships were far superior to ours both in size and technology. Boy, were they big! ... and menacing! No, there is no question of a space station.

Professor: But NASA had other missions after Apollo 11?

Armstrong: Naturally, NASA was committed at that time and couldn't risk panic on Earth. But it really was a quick scoop and back again.

Armstrong confirmed that the story was true but refused to go into further detail, beyond admitting that the CIA was behind the cover-up.

snopes 30 October 2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

I can't go into details, except to say that their ships were far superior to ours both in size and technology.
"I can blab this entire top secret story about technologically superior aliens hiding on the moon to a total stranger, but give you details about the alien ships ... no way!"

Alarm 30 October 2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Armstrong: I can't go into details, except to say that their ships were far superior to ours both in size and technology. Boy, were they big! ... and menacing! No, there is no question of a space station.
Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 1847884)
"I can blab this entire top secret story about technologically superior aliens hiding on the moon to a total stranger, but give you details about the alien ships ... no way!"

What he meant to say was "That's no moon! It's a space station"
Where do you think Lucas got his inspiration? He's in on the consipiracy.
:fish:

Dasla 31 October 2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarm (Post 1847905)

Of course, him and Spielberg.

popkulture 31 October 2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarm (Post 1847905)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasla (Post 1847985)
Of course, him and Spielberg.

Well, they were both ripping off Kubrick, right?