snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   The Bad Gastronomer (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   American food in Sweden (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=90469)

Avril 06 October 2014 01:12 AM

American food in Sweden

Quick backstory: I'm sending a package of American foodstuffs to a new Swedish friend. She asked for salt water taffy and snap pea crisps, which I have ready to send, but I wanted to add a few things to the package. I know there are a lot of things available there now, so I don't want to send something she has readily available. Right now I plan to send some candy corn/pumpkins (since it's Halloween), some small packets of ranch dressing/dip mix, taco seasoning, and individual-sized pouches of Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams and almond butter (regular, vanilla, and maple).

I turn now to you. I am pondering chili mix and corn muffin mix, grits, taco shells, and tortillas. What's a good, American-but-not-exported-to-Sweden, portable sort of thing to ship?

Sue 06 October 2014 01:36 AM

Girl Scout cookies? I only suggest this because I was trapped by a bevy of Brownies when I was shopping yesterday and ended up with 4 boxes.

Beachlife! 06 October 2014 01:54 AM

I wouldn't send Peanut butter or American chocolate to anyone who hasn't tried and liked it before. America excels at snack foods and candy so I think you are on the right track. I would send fudge if there is somewhere nearby where you can get some. The latest and greatest candy technology. Something pumpkin flavored and something cranberry flavored would be good too.

Avril 06 October 2014 02:58 AM

What about Craisins? Are those common in Europe?

Horse Chestnut 06 October 2014 03:09 AM

Mmmmm, snap pea crisps. How about pine nuts. Old Bay seafood seasoning, or maybe some Zataran's. Constant Comment tea, if she drinks tea, that is. Bisquick. Red Velvet cake mix. Lime Jell-O! ETA - Can they get maple syrup in Sweden?

Sue 06 October 2014 03:12 AM

I've never heard of snap pea crisps before. Off to google ;).

crocoduck_hunter 06 October 2014 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1844550)
Girl Scout cookies?

Only if they're made with real Girl Scouts. :D

Nick Theodorakis 06 October 2014 02:07 PM

Huh. I was about to suggest Swedish Fish as a joke but it turns out they actually are Swedish.

Nick

thorny locust 06 October 2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1844561)
I've never heard of snap pea crisps before. Off to google

Ditto.

I suspect this is a new thing -- maybe somebody looked at the success of doctored-up dried kale and decided to expand on it? (Although my posting this may well cause somebody to post that their great-grandmother ate them as a child . . . )

kitap 06 October 2014 02:20 PM

Packets of sloppy Joe seasoning. I can't say they loved it but they were happy to make and try it. I sent someone in New Zealand packets of French Onion dip. That went over well. Also the horchata and Hawaiian Punch packets went over well.

Die Capacitrix 06 October 2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1844557)
What about Craisins? Are those common in Europe?

Don't know about elsewhere, but we can easily find dried cranberries. Just not Ocean Spray brand. Raw cranberries are difficult to find and the season is very short.

Cranberry sauce (pre-made) is only available at American food stores. Lingonberry sauce is similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1844548)
... taco shells, and tortillas. What's a good, American-but-not-exported-to-Sweden, portable sort of thing to ship?

Old El Paso products are in many countries, including Sweden.

overyonder 06 October 2014 05:57 PM

Might be interesting/helpful to crosscheck your idea with the popular local supermarket chains? Here's a list.

OY

A Turtle Named Mack 06 October 2014 06:49 PM

Margarita mix? canned chop suey? Those are uniquely American.

Avril 06 October 2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix (Post 1844606)
Don't know about elsewhere, but we can easily find dried cranberries. Just not Ocean Spray brand.

Craisins aren't straight dried cranberries, though. To be on the safe side, maybe I'll get the yogurt-covered ones.

Quote:

That's good to know. Since you're in Sweden yourself, what would you want to try, if this were you?

Plurabelle 07 October 2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1844583)
Ditto.

I suspect this is a new thing -- maybe somebody looked at the success of doctored-up dried kale and decided to expand on it? (Although my posting this may well cause somebody to post that their great-grandmother ate them as a child . . . )

I first had snap pea crisps circa 2003 via a friend's mother who could always be counted on to have an eclectic mix of food. They were impossible for me to find -- Trader Joe's started carrying them in my area a while later, and now they seem to be in most supermarkets.

I never noticed dried kale chips until recently but then again kale and I are not buddies so could have been a mental filter.

A Turtle Named Mack 07 October 2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix (Post 1844606)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1844662)
That's good to know. Since you're in Sweden yourself, what would you want to try, if this were you?

Sweden /= Switzerland

crocoduck_hunter 07 October 2014 02:14 AM

I never thought I'd get a chance to link to this comic in a discussion about food.

ganzfeld 07 October 2014 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 1844687)
Sweden /= Switzerland

So it turns out the people in Sweden want more Sweden!

Avril 07 October 2014 03:22 AM

I totally did goof there. But yes, obviously, Switzerland and Sweden aren't the same place. Which snopester is from Sweden? I seem to remember someone was. Trondon? I'm pretty sure I haven't spelled that right, either.

A Turtle Named Mack 07 October 2014 03:28 AM

Troberg (and waffles)