snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Glurge Gallery (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Filtered Water (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=66651)

snopes 22 October 2010 03:47 AM

Filtered Water

Our main source of water is from a ninety-five-foot drilled well. When the water enters through a pipe into our house, it first goes through a filter. This process eliminates impurities that would otherwise enter our tap water and, of course, our drinking water. We have to change this filter once a year to keep the water free from contaminants and to prevent us from becoming sick.

It was time to change the filter. We had changed the filter once, before we bought the house, and never encountered a problem. This time, when we re-connected the cartridge that holds the new filter and opened up the main water valve, the water came shooting out everywhere. We finally found out what the problem was: the O-ring that sits on the top was stretched and therefore did not seal properly. This incident happened on Friday evening, and trying to get a plumber or a new O-ring was impossible. We had to return to the basics: getting water containers and filling them from our daughter's water source.

It is at times like these that I realized how dependent I am on water flowing from a tap so easily. Daily rituals like brushing my teeth became a real ordeal, besides other things that require the water to flow freely from a tap.

When Monday came, a visit to our local plumbing store resulted in a new cartridge and filter being installed. We are back to taking showers, running the dishwasher, filling our glasses with water, and brushing our teeth as usual.

Reflecting on this experience and the importance of a filter properly installed made me think of how Jesus promised to send a Helper, the Holy Spirit, to help us filter out the bad from the good.

Dropbear 22 October 2010 03:58 AM

Does the holy spirit also need o-ring replacement?

Ooo - the O-ring is like our halo. If we neglect it - it won't fit and sin will burst out gushing all over us and not filtered by the spirit so be sure to get that ring on tight or there might be .... spurting?

:eek:

Okay that analogy went a little wrong somehow.

Dropbear

tsuga 22 October 2010 11:09 AM

Reflecting upon this glurge, I realize I need to get a new filter for my Brita. Better check on my supply for the Jura as well...

Squirt 22 October 2010 11:55 AM

Once you have a stretched o-ring ( temptation ) then you stand a good chance of a slow leak of water ( sin ) soaking through your floorboards, and causing mould ( satan ), mildew ( hell ) and even,. in the worse case, rotten joists and structural damage ( significant and expensive repair work ).

FullMetal 22 October 2010 03:16 PM

I actually thought it was going to be a serious point about how billions of people all over the world don't have access to fresh, clean water on a daily basis and how thankful we should be to have access to it so readily.

DawnStorm 22 October 2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 1333149)
This incident happened on Friday evening, and trying to get a plumber or a new O-ring was impossible....

When Monday came, a visit to our local plumbing store resulted in a new cartridge and filter being installed. .

You mean there's some podunk town out there whose businesses are not open at least on Saturday? :eek: I get the plumber part--but then again, there's Roto-Rooter et al--but all your stores are closed on Saturday and Sunday?!

crocoduck_hunter 22 October 2010 10:51 PM

No, FullMetal, that would make too much sense for a glurge.

Ferdinand 10 November 2010 12:53 AM

In the name of the father, the son, and the holy spigot....

Swordmaster 08 December 2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullMetal (Post 1333391)
I actually thought it was going to be a serious point about how billions of people all over the world don't have access to fresh, clean water on a daily basis and how thankful we should be to have access to it so readily.

You mean those Godless brown people? Maybe they would have access to fresh, clean water if they just accepted Jesus into their hearts. Maybe that's something to think about.

Gutter Monkey 15 December 2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Reflecting on this experience and the importance of a filter properly installed made me think of how Jesus promised to send a Helper, the Holy Spirit, to help us filter out the bad from the good.
Wouldn't a Jesus Filter change unclean water into wine, not clean water?

Arts Myth 23 December 2010 10:00 PM

Reading about wells and filters reminds me of this:
Quote:

In the well
That our father built her
Grandma fell.
We must buy a filter.

Skeptic 27 December 2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordmaster (Post 1363448)
You mean those Godless brown people? Maybe they would have access to fresh, clean water if they just accepted Jesus into their hearts. Maybe that's something to think about.

Sadly, it's not hard to find people with that attitude. Pat Robinson springs to mind. (No pun intended).

The Game 27 December 2010 10:43 AM

For a few years as a kid we had to get out drinking water from the city in containers. We were back to basics. Garden hose at our grandparents house. I don't recall when the well was up and we were able to drink the water that actually came through the tap. I don't even remember why this was. I don't believe a filter was involved though.

Once the water heater went down, it took a couple days before it could be repaired. You'd be surprised at how little hot water all your pots, a regular coffee pot and one of those giant 40 cup coffee pots actually make.

Never once did Jesus cross our minds. All that did was, "This is a minor inconvenience and kind of sucks".

Gutter Monkey 27 December 2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Game (Post 1376256)
Never once did Jesus cross our minds. All that did was, "This is a minor inconvenience and kind of sucks".

Jesus couldn't have helped anyway. He was a carpenter, not a plumber.

zman977 28 December 2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1333790)
You mean there's some podunk town out there whose businesses are not open at least on Saturday? :eek: I get the plumber part--but then again, there's Roto-Rooter et al--but all your stores are closed on Saturday and Sunday?!

And even if that is true you'd think most podunk towns are near some bigger town with a hardware store open on a Saturday. Heck the podunk town my parents live in is only twenty minutes away from a wal mart and their podunk town has a hardware sotre open on Saturday from nine til noon. But then again who expects glurge to include reality.

Imminent Penguin 28 December 2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferdinand (Post 1345423)
In the name of the father, the son, and the holy spigot....

Ferdinand FTW!!

bill790 30 December 2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic (Post 1376122)
Sadly, it's not hard to find people with that attitude. Pat Robinson springs to mind. (No pun intended).

Sure you don't mean Pat Robertson?

TrishDaDish 19 February 2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey (Post 1368901)
Wouldn't a Jesus Filter change unclean water into wine, not clean water?

Jesus Filter! Now available in Limited Edition Keanu Reeves model!

High Eight 04 April 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 1333149)
Our main source of water is from a ninety-five-foot drilled well. When the water enters through a pipe into our house, it first goes through a filter. This process eliminates impurities that would otherwise enter our tap water and, of course, our drinking water. We have to change this filter once a year to keep the water free from contaminants and to prevent us from becoming sick.

I don't know why, but this reminds me of the Terry Pratchett quote: - "People have believed for centuries that having a newt-infested well means fresh water, and NEVER ONCE stopped to consider whether the newts get out to go to the toilet" :lol:

Auburn Red 04 April 2011 10:15 PM

So now Jesus is the hunky guy who delivers water to offices and houses? I have heard of odd metaphors before, but I think this one is the worst. It reminds me more of an advertisement than a religious pitch. (For sparkling water call 1800-JESUS!!!! (sings) For the very best for you and us call 1800-JESUS!")