snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Woman Accuses Alabama Senate Candidate Of Sexual Contact When She Was 14 (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96186)

E. Q. Taft 09 November 2017 08:48 PM

Woman Accuses Alabama Senate Candidate Of Sexual Contact When She Was 14
 
Roy Moore, the Republican nominee for the open Senate seat in Alabama, is facing an accusation from a woman who says that he initiated sexual contact when she was 14 years old and Moore was a 32-year-old assistant district attorney.

The Washington Post published a story Thursday documenting the accusations by Leigh Corfman, who spoke on the record to the paper along with her mother, as well as three other women who say Moore pursued romantic involvement when they were between the ages of 16 and 18 and he was in his early 30s. The age of consent in Alabama is 16.

Moore, now 70, denied the allegations in a statement to the Post.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/56308...when-she-was-1

Michael Cole 10 November 2017 02:54 AM

Minor point, but from the article,
Quote:

(Christians believe that Jesus was immaculately conceived and is the child of God)
Umm, no. (Some) Christians believe that Mary, the mother of Christ was immaculately conceived (and the Jesus was born from a virgin, that virgin being immaculately concieved).

erwins 10 November 2017 04:31 AM

I think some Christians do believe the quoted statement, despite it not being the actual doctrine/correct use of that phrase. People believe lots of things that are not accurate statements of the official doctrine of their church.

Also, as to the OP, I heard an interview with one of the reporters who broke the story, and when she was asked whether it could be political that these women were coming forward now, she explained that she had been covering a different story when she essentially heard rumours about this. She then tracked these women down. They were not bringing it up themselves.

ganzfeld 10 November 2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cole (Post 1963892)
Umm, no. (Some) Christians believe that Mary, the mother of Christ was immaculately conceived (and the Jesus was born from a virgin, that virgin being immaculately concieved).

Um. No. Immaculate conception is being conceived without original sin. That Jesus was born without sin is part of practically every Christian catechism. Christians (generally - that is the vast majority) teach that Jesus was immaculately conceived.

The Feast of the Immaculate Conception (or just Immaculate Conception with capital letters) refers to the immaculate conception of Mary. It doesn't mean that only she was immaculately conceived. Some Christian churches teach and some celebrate the Immaculate Conception (of the Blessed Virgin Mary).

Don Enrico 10 November 2017 06:49 AM

What's with the biblical references anyway? Is he implying that when Roy Moore sexually assaulted a minor, he was trying to father a new Messiah?

And hasn't the fact that Mohammed married a minor often been used to condem Islam? But when biblical figures do it, it's okay?

And finally:
Quote:

"Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist"
but

Quote:

Luke 1:5-7 King James Version (KJV)

5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.

6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

7 And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years.
What gives?

dfresh 10 November 2017 01:18 PM

Don, you don't have to know what the Bible says, or try to live it, or really care what it says. You just have to be able to use it to beat down people you disagree with!

Sue 10 November 2017 01:48 PM

double post

Sue 10 November 2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganzfeld (Post 1963902)
Um. No. Immaculate conception is being conceived without original sin. That Jesus was born without sin is part of practically every Christian catechism. Christians (generally - that is the vast majority) teach that Jesus was immaculately conceived.

The Feast of the Immaculate Conception (or just Immaculate Conception with capital letters) refers to the immaculate conception of Mary. It doesn't mean that only she was immaculately conceived. Some Christian churches teach and some celebrate the Immaculate Conception (of the Blessed Virgin Mary).

I don't know about any other Christian religion but for Catholics the Immaculate Conception is all about Mary but is often confused and assumed to be about the birth of Jesus so "Umm, No" is not an accurate response when someone points this out.

Alarm 10 November 2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfresh (Post 1963912)
Don, you don't have to know what the Bible says, or try to live it, or really care what it says. You just have to be able to use it to beat down people you disagree with!

It's the origin of the saying "Throw the [Good] book at them", right?

:fish:

jimmy101_again 10 November 2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erwins (Post 1963897)
I think some Christians do believe the quoted statement, despite it not being the actual doctrine/correct use of that phrase. People believe lots of things that are not accurate statements of the official doctrine of their church.

You need to look no further for an example then the oft quoting from the old testament, Leviticus in particular. Many "Christians" seem to think that the OT is christian law where it is in fact Jewish and not Christian law.

ganzfeld 10 November 2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1963918)
I don't know about any other Christian religion but for Catholics the Immaculate Conception is all about Mary but is often confused and assumed to be about the birth of Jesus so "Umm, No" is not an accurate response when someone points this out.

Again, that's Immaculate Conception with capital letters. It's true that it's often confused (and therefore perhaps shouldn't be used in the case of Jesus) but it doesn't change the fact that most Christian churches (including the Catholic church) teach that Jesus was immaculately conceived (sans caps) - that is, conceived without inherited sin. So you can nitpick the use of the phrase as possibly misleading to people who use it to mean something else but it's an accurate statement; it's not wrong at all.

E. Q. Taft 10 November 2017 07:25 PM

What's a little bit frightening about the "Adam and Eve" excuse (or whatever we're calling it) is that it is in fact almost a perfect illustration of what there is to fear about Roy Moore: he has stated repeatedly that he puts God's law over Man's law. Hence his refusal to sanction same-sex marriages even when the Supreme Court ordered it.

There's nothing wrong with considering some code to be higher than law, and choosing civil disobedience when the two conflict -- if you are not a public official who has sworn to uphold the Constitution and the law. In the latter case, the public has a right to expect that you will keep to that oath; that's what we're paying you for.

If Moore, or his followers, truly think Biblical guidelines should take precedence over age of consent laws -- that's pretty NFBSKing scary.

(AFAIK, Moore has not attempted to use that excuse, sticking to denying the incident took place and calling it all a plot by the "National Democrat Party" (asshole) and the Washington Post to sway the election.)

I am certainly not considering that accusation = guilt (though there's enough corroboration here that I tend to believe it), but of course I despise Moore irrespective of whether it's true or not. Truth would merely add to the reasons and make it more personal as opposed to political.

E. Q. Taft 11 November 2017 12:22 AM

Alabama State Rep Ed Henry has an....interesting view on the subject:

Quote:

"If anybody knows of a crime that there's a predator out there and you sit back and wait for 40 years to say anything about it and let those kinds of things happen, then you should be as guilty as they are for allowing that to occur," Henry said. "With things like the Bill Cosby incident where they paid people to be quiet, those people who were paid, to me, are as guilty as he was and should be prosecuted. And if these women truly believe that Roy Moore is a sexual predator, then they are equally as guilty for allowing a sexual predator to be out there for 40 years."
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...y_moore_i.html

Lainie 11 November 2017 12:23 AM

Pretty sure there's no duty to report a crime of which you are the victim.

Sue 11 November 2017 12:29 AM

I can see wondering whether if someone knows someone is hurting children and does nothing about it does that make them, at the very least, morally culpable. Where this fails for me is expecting the victims themselves to step forward and if they don't charge them with a crime. Just no.

Steve 11 November 2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy101_again (Post 1963967)
You need to look no further for an example then the oft quoting from the old testament, Leviticus in particular. Many "Christians" seem to think that the OT is christian law where it is in fact Jewish and not Christian law.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven " Matthew 5:17-20

crocoduck_hunter 11 November 2017 01:40 AM

Wow, even the grabber-in-chief is calling out Moore. Talk about irony.

Psihala 11 November 2017 02:08 AM

Roy Moore's brother to correspondent: He's being persecuted like Jesus
 
Roy Moore's younger brother said the Alabama GOP Senate candidate is being persecuted like Jesus, and the women accusing him will have to answer to God for what he called false accusations, a TV correspondent who spoke with Jerry Moore told CNN on Friday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roy-moo...ed-like-jesus/

dfresh 11 November 2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft (Post 1964014)
Alabama State Rep Ed Henry has an....interesting view on the subject:



http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...y_moore_i.html

Those darn victims, they are the ones that are really at fault here!

We have to elect Moore to put in Christian fundamentalism or the Muslims will implement Sharia law!

thorny locust 11 November 2017 01:48 PM

If you didn't report the crime immediately, you must never report it later on, or you're liable to also be arrested for it!

-- well, that would really encourage reporting, wouldn't it? /end sarcasm


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.