snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Police Blotter (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Wisconsin Mother Charged After Strapping 9-Year-Old Son To Pool On Roof Of Car (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96160)

DawnStorm 02 November 2017 12:41 PM

Wisconsin Mother Charged After Strapping 9-Year-Old Son To Pool On Roof Of Car

Article here.

She says that her father did that to her when she was a kid, so it's OK; besides, it was only 20-30 seconds.:rolleyes:

Lady, did you know that there is a way you can tie things down to your car? Yes! Something called a bungee cord. They're not that hard to get either.

GenYus234 02 November 2017 03:35 PM

And we know she had some sort of fastener as she used it to tie the kid.

What happened to the good old days of putting it on the roof and using your left hand to hold it down?

Lainie 02 November 2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1963110)
She says that her father did that to her when she was a kid, so it's OK; besides, it was only 20-30 seconds.:rolleyes:

If her father really did that 20 years ago (she's only 28), he was lucky not to get arrested.

Sue 02 November 2017 07:44 PM

That reminds me of all these memes etc that I see on FB being posted by people who are the same age range as my kids (late 20s) who are all "when I was a kid we played outdoors all day" etc. Yeah. Just no. You may not have been in front of your phones all day but you were in front of your computers and your nintendo at least as much, if not more, than you were playing outside. And people of my generation who are saying "when I was a kid we played outdoors all day" etc are conveniently forgetting that we were parked in front of a TV as often as we could get away with it.

Lainie 02 November 2017 07:46 PM

When we were outside, it was often because our parents turned off the TV and ordered us out. :lol:

Sue 02 November 2017 07:49 PM

Yep. Or because our mothers ripped the book we were reading out of our hands and ordered us to get some fresh air :lol:. I won't really argue that "kids today" are probably playing outdoors less than kids from my generation were (whether we wanted to be outside or not) but to be honest I don't see much difference between kids today and kids 20 years ago -- I suspect the woman in the OP thinks 20 years ago was a lot longer ago than I do!

Lainie 02 November 2017 08:06 PM

I see memes and comments on social media to the affect that kids never play outside anymore, but I see also see actual kids playing outside on a regular basis. Maybe the meme-sharers should step away from the computer and go outside themselves. ;)

Sue 03 November 2017 01:20 AM

Continuing the hijack what I love are people posting pictures of parents using their phones "when they should be watching their kids". I guess that could be a fair criticism if it's being posted by bystanders without children of their own in tow but usually it isn't. So, essentially it's ok to use your phone when your kids are around but it's not ok for anyone else to use their phone when their kids are around. Good to know.