snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Horrors (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Doll-induced nightmares (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=89899)

snopes 08 July 2014 06:00 PM

Doll-induced nightmares

Comment: Urban legend about Cookie Monster dolls. According to this
legend, in the 1980's many children began experiencing nightmares brought
on by sleeping w/the doll. What bothered the parents was that not only
were their children having nightmares, all the children reporting
nightmares reported having the SAME nightmare. They would wake up in
their beds in the dark and see a man in the shadows staring at them. Over
the years, this happened less and less, however, children with Elmo dolls
are experiencing the same nightmares.

Elkhound 08 July 2014 07:06 PM

Dolls are kind of creepy anyway.

Alarm 08 July 2014 07:22 PM

I blame ergot of some kind.

Probably used in the cookies the doll ate.

:fish:

quink 08 July 2014 07:46 PM

For all the creepy dolls I had as a child, the thing that scared me the most was this little red electric organ my grandmother gave me. Maybe it's because there was something really off about the sound, but I used to have recurring nightmares where I was being chased up and down the stairs by a wheezing little miniature piano (for added effect, I remember very clearly that it also oozed slime between its keys). For years I refused to be in the same room with the thing, but telling my parents that a kiddy musical instrument was really a slime spewing monster wasn't enough of an excuse to throw out a toy from grandma.

hoitoider 09 July 2014 02:51 PM

The common nightmare sounds more like sleep paralysis.

mags 09 July 2014 06:22 PM

I could swear I've seen this written up as a creepypasta story.

Hero_Mike 09 July 2014 07:26 PM

My friends had to throw out the talking Big Bird given to their infant by a relative - it was a battery-operated toy and would say things based on "interaction". One of the interactions was covering the eyes and the toy would play "Peek-a-Boo" - removing your hands would have it say "I see you!". Well, this would get triggered at twilight or dawn, and there'd be this toy randomly blurting out "I see you!" without any interaction. They first took out the batteries, but the relative who gave the gift was disappointed that they couldn't use it to play with the infant. They threw it out and claimed it was broken.

bob80 09 July 2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkhound (Post 1831607)

indeed, they are...

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 18 August 2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags (Post 1831859)
I could swear I've seen this written up as a creepypasta story.

I could swear it was a sequel to Candle Cove with Sesame Street characters subbed in.

(and yes, someone has written a story following on from Candle Cove which features a doll)

she-geek 18 August 2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

My mother has this 2-foot-tall animatronic figurine of a Victorian caroler that she used to haul out every Christmas season for years. It held a "candle" that looked more like a spear, and brandished the thing in a threatening manner, in dead silence. Gave me the willies.

Alarm 18 August 2014 06:13 PM

One of my friend had a toy which when touched would start to rattle aand shake and utter some nonsense cry. once the batteries started running low, it would start doing this at random, with not interaction required.

He told me he removed the batteries, because it would suddenly activate in the middle of the night and startle the children (and any adults present in the room).

Tootsie Plunkette 18 August 2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarm (Post 1838217)
One of my friend had a toy which when touched would start to rattle aand shake and utter some nonsense cry. once the batteries started running low, it would start doing this at random, with not interaction required.

Did it go "Zip" when it moved, and "Pop" when it stopped, and "Whirrr" when it stood still?

Alarm 19 August 2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette (Post 1838292)
Did it go "Zip" when it moved, and "Pop" when it stopped, and "Whirrr" when it stood still?

No, it's just would yell something like "aboochikaboo!" and then the music would start and it would rock from side to side (trying to move forward, but not enough juice left)

GenYus234 19 August 2014 04:05 PM

Tootsie, I think we have a Philistine in our midst. :)

Marvelous Toy

As an almost complete hijack, we took my Dad to see Peter and Paul in concert for his birthday. It was fun, but super sad as they had the crowd sing Mary's part in her songs.

Alarm 19 August 2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1838391)

Marvelous Toy

As an almost complete hijack, we took my Dad to see Peter and Paul in concert for his birthday. It was fun, but super sad as they had the crowd sing Mary's part in her songs.

No, I've never been to the Phillipines...
:fish:

she-geek 19 August 2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Marvelous Toy

And by Peter, Paul, and Mary, surely you meant the Irish Rovers? :p

GenYus234 19 August 2014 08:23 PM

I do not as they are not a proper Irish group. Proper Irish groups only sing songs that involve tragic death of young people.

Tootsie Plunkette 19 August 2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Marvelous Toy

Quote:

Originally Posted by she-geek (Post 1838438)
And by Peter, Paul, and Mary, surely you meant the Irish Rovers? :p

And by Irish Rovers I believe you meant Tom Paxton.

Horse Chestnut 26 August 2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

(Sigh) When did toys become creepy? Is this some kind of internet thang? If Peter, Paul and Mary were starting out today, would they be singing about receiving a creeya** toy? < geezer > I liked my toys, even the dolls. < /geezer >

FullMetal 26 August 2014 08:04 PM

My uncle brought us a toy from an overseas trip... one of those cymbal playing monkeys... it would play for a while, then stop, then bear its teeth and scream while turning its head with its eyes bulging out, and then keep playing... it scared the bajeezus out of us as kids... and gave nightmares... This was late 70s... The same kind of monkey from Toy Story 3... I still get creeped out by that damn monkey