snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First world problems (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=86479)

quink 03 June 2014 08:30 PM

I was recently staying in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, and having cash-only vending machines (and no cash) saved my butt. I was having boredom cravings for three nights straight, but didn't want to go to the effort of actually driving somewhere for snacks. If those machines had taken cards, I'm pretty sure I would have ended up having a junk food picnic or three.

RobDBlackwolf 03 June 2014 08:51 PM

While I have a working joystick I wanted to upgrade to a HOTAS system. After waffling about whether to buy the cheaper X52 (Which is available) or the more expensive X55 which has more functions but is not quite available, I finally decided on the X52. Partially because I hate waiting for things to arrive by UPS or FedEx and would rather pick it up at the store on my leisure.
So yesterday I looked up the cost, was planning to use my rechargable prepaid card and figured out how much I have to put on it. Which I did, came home and found out that the store sneakily increased the price of the joystick by a few bucks overnight and now I have to put even more money on the prepaid card before I can order it. :mad:

Right now I'm in the mood to just wait until the X55 is out and available and just get it for my birthday in September. And from a different store.

TallGeekyGirl 03 June 2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quink (Post 1825339)
(I've always wondered why I don't bruise visibly. I have very pale skin and something like a scratch or scrape will be visible for months/years. No bruises, though.)

Hmm... you must be somehow resistant to bruise fairy magic.

Dropbear 03 June 2014 10:11 PM

I'm concerned that because the post count is above 1000 in this thread not many people will see this comment.

Dropbear

TallGeekyGirl 03 June 2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl (Post 1825313)
Our A/C died yesterday, and we're waiting for the service tech to come see what happened and how much it'll be.

Fortunately, it isn't a particularly hot day today.

A/C is fixed. And now... the bill... :(

WildaBeast 03 June 2014 11:13 PM

Last week I booked some flights for my vacation this summer. Today, just out of curiosity, I searched for flights on a different site and found the exact same flights for significantly cheaper. Well, the airline is just listed as "Major Airline", but they depart at exactly the same times to the same destinations as the ones I booked, so they're obviously the same flights.

jimmy101_again 04 June 2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1825399)
Last week I booked some flights for my vacation this summer. Today, just out of curiosity, I searched for flights on a different site and found the exact same flights for significantly cheaper. Well, the airline is just listed as "Major Airline", but they depart at exactly the same times to the same destinations as the ones I booked, so they're obviously the same flights.

I wonder if the cheaper one doesn't include things like baggage or airport fees. Or, the cheaper one doesn't include a "reservation" or "ticket printing" charge. Or the charge to actually reserve a seat (which really is a charge some airlines have).

WildaBeast 04 June 2014 01:33 AM

The one I booked already has a charge to reserve a seat, which is apparently this airline's policy for all economy class passengers regardless of fare booked. I'm going to Europe (Scandinavia, specifically), and no one charges baggage fees (within the weight limits) on overseas flights.

compass 04 June 2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1825399)

Did you check they really existed? I've noticed some of the 3rd party bookers list prices that the airlines no longer offer, and they increase if one tries to actually book.

Mosherette 04 June 2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl (Post 1825385)
Hmm... you must be somehow resistant to bruise fairy magic.

Maybe she IS the bruise fairy!

TallGeekyGirl 04 June 2014 05:24 PM

Hmm... could be...

Or maybe the bruise fairy just gave her a Corsican bruise! Someone else gets the mark but she feels it!

WildaBeast 04 June 2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker (Post 1825346)
FWP: the vending machine now takes debit cards, darn it. First it was $5/$10/$20 bills, now cards. Now there is nothing to help prevent a failure of will power.

Seaboe

You think that's hard, your brother keeps a bowl of candy outside his cubicle. I cannot resist free candy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by compass (Post 1825456)
Did you check they really existed? I've noticed some of the 3rd party bookers list prices that the airlines no longer offer, and they increase if one tries to actually book.

That's a possibility -- see my complaint about that in the Little Things That Annoy You thread. But I think it's also likely that this is one of those unpublished discount fares that don't show up on normal booking sites.

A Turtle Named Mack 04 June 2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1825578)
You think that's hard, your brother keeps a bowl of candy outside his cubicle. I cannot resist free candy.

Come-on-a my house. I'm gonna give you candy. I have a bowl of Mexican candy whose flavors are sugar, watermelon, salt (lots) and very hot chili peppers. Weirdest danged candy I have ever tried. I out the bowl out for people to try - without letting them know what it is - but I still get no takers.

(How many people recognized the cultural reference there - that's going back a few years)

smittykins 05 June 2014 01:00 AM

The Yankees are playing at 1 pm tomorrow. And I have to work.

Richard W 05 June 2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 1825579)
Weirdest danged candy I have ever tried.

A friend of mine came back from Finland with some salted liquorice (something I'd managed to miss while I was there). It was strong liquorice that was completely coated in salt.

The odd thing was that the salt wasn't sodium chloride - it was ammonium chloride. It tasted like bitter liquorice with salty ammoniac bleach. I didn't even know ammonium chloride was edible. If somebody gave you this stuff without explaining it, you'd seriously think they were trying to poison you.

Apparently it's a delicacy in Finland. It beats marmite and kimchi by miles for foodstuffs that are inexplicable to anybody outside the country.

kitap 05 June 2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard W (Post 1825631)
A friend of mine came back from Finland with some salted liquorice (something I'd managed to miss while I was there). It was strong liquorice that was completely coated in salt.

The odd thing was that the salt wasn't sodium chloride - it was ammonium chloride. It tasted like bitter liquorice with salty ammoniac bleach. I didn't even know ammonium chloride was edible. If somebody gave you this stuff without explaining it, you'd seriously think they were trying to poison you.

It's salmiakki! I love salmiakki. We used to get it sent from my mom's friends in Finland every Christmas.

Seaboe Muffinchucker 05 June 2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1825578)

Tell him to put out something you don't like, such as ATNM's chili pepper candy, or salted licorice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard W (Post 1825631)

It's not just Finnish. The Swedes eat it, too (my sister likes it a lot) and because of that, you can buy it in the U.S. In Poulsbo, for example.

The same store sells Lakerol candies, which I like (the herb-menthol and eucalyptus in particular).

Seaboe