snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First world problems (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=86479)

Lainie 09 August 2013 09:19 PM

:lol: No, Wildabeat's post about Breaking Bad and Mythbusters.

Here, braces are orthodontic devices. ETA: Suspenders in the UK means garters, doesn't it?

Richard W 09 August 2013 09:31 PM

Yes. I couldn't remember the US term off-hand... thanks for reminding me!

(eta) Apologies for accidentally attributing A Turtle Named Mack's comments to Beachlife in my previous post. I don't know quite why I confused the two of you. I have corrected it.

Spud Sabre 09 August 2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1759153)
Another TV related one: Mythbusters is doing a episode next week entirely testing stuff from Breaking Bad. I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I've only watched the first two episodes so far (I'll probably watch more this weekend, though). I want to watch the Mythbusters episode, but I'm afraid it will contain spoilers for Breaking Bad.

I'll confirm that for you. I haven't seen that episode of Mythbusters, but I read an article about it and they do (or at least they planned to) test myths that will contain spoilers.

Moku 09 August 2013 10:08 PM

Richard, I think some machines monitor the clarity of the outgoing water (or something similar) and adjust the wash time accordingly. So if all the much comes out of your towels quickly it will trim the time down.
I have also read that newer machines tend to have longer cycles, but 7 hours is mindblowing!

Cervus 10 August 2013 01:47 AM

I apparently had a deprived childhood, because I'd never heard of "Oregon Trail" until maybe a year or two ago. Now I get the impression that I'm the only child of the 80's/90's who never played it. But then, there was a lot of stuff I missed out on: I wasn't allowed to have Nintendo or any type of gaming system, I wasn't allowed to watch "shows for black people" (like Family Matters or Cosby), and I wouldn't have been allowed any trendy or fad toy even if I'd wanted one. I wasn't even allowed to chew gum, though other types of candy were ok. To this day I've only seen a handful of iconic 80's movies. The Truffle Shuffle and "wax on, wax off" mean nothing to me beyond the fact that I've gleaned that they are references to movies other people grew up watching but I've never seen.

Errata 10 August 2013 02:36 AM

I don't think Oregon Trail was a game that most people owned at home. Its claim to fame was that it was a game that schools let kids play sometimes, because it was "educational". There were plenty of kids who didn't have computers at home in the '80s, so that made a big impression.

Spud Sabre 10 August 2013 03:39 AM

I remember playing Oregon Trail once. I was terrible at it and I lost interest fast.

WildaBeast 10 August 2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Errata (Post 1759254)
I don't think Oregon Trail was a game that most people owned at home.

I actually had it at home, but that was because I asked for it for Christmas after playing it at school. Of course part of the fun of playing it at school was coming across grave sites left by other kids who had played previously. You didn't get that at home since my friends and I were the only ones who played there. There was still hunting for food, though.

RobDBlackwolf 10 August 2013 04:37 AM

We actually still have it on a CD, though it's a DOS game. I never played it myself. While I (or rather my brother) got the first computer in 86, OT was never made for that system (Amstrad CPC). When we switched to DOS a few years later, I never noticed a release of OT. Not sure if it ever came to the European market to be honest.

Tabbyclaw 10 August 2013 05:39 AM

I had a great idea for a bizarre fanfiction crossover, but I just found out someone has written it already and their take on the idea was close enough to mine that I'm no longer really wanting to write it.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Lainie 10 August 2013 03:52 PM

I bought Oregon Trail for my daughter to play at home, and played it with her. We made the mistake of naming the characters in our party after ourselves and our pets. That this was a mistake become obvious the first time we got an onscreen message that a character had died.

Richard W 10 August 2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1759181)
ETA: Suspenders in the UK means garters, doesn't it?

Actually, having spent some time thinking about this, 'suspenders = garters' is a bit simplistic or perhaps even wrong. We also have garters, which are just a band of elastic at the top of a stocking. Suspenders are the things that hold up stockings from a suspender belt. I'm not sure if garters are involved in that system too, although I think a suspender belt is called a garter belt sometimes. I need to think about this some more... maybe looking for some pictures would help...

We call the things on teeth braces as well, but it's usually obvious which sort of braces are meant from the context.

JoeBentley 10 August 2013 04:23 PM

The base closes 2 of it's 3 gates on the weekends and the only gate that's open is the one farthest from both my house and my command.

So I drive up the road from my house to the first gate, at which point I can literally see my command on the other side of the fenceline, but had drive most of the length of the base, past another closed gate, to the gate on the far side of the base, then drive the entire length of the base back to my command, effectively more then doubling my commute.

Lainie 10 August 2013 04:27 PM

What you call a suspender belt we call a garter belt. There's also the sort of garter that's used in a (horrid, IMO) wedding tradition called the garter toss. That link doesn't include a part of the tradition I've seen at some weddings, where the man who caught the garter places it on the leg of the woman who caught the bouquet, while bystanders encourage him to place it as high as possible on her thigh, every inch above the knee supposedly representing a year of happiness for the newly married couple.

One of my first exposures to this tradition was at a wedding where one of the groom's drunk friends caught the garter, and his 16YO sister caught the bouquet. I cannot adequately describe how creepy it was. The girl was clearly uncomfortable, but not assertive enough to put a stop to it. Why someone else -- her brother, the groom, maybe? -- didn't put a stop to it I don't know.

mags 10 August 2013 05:23 PM

I could have sworn I've also seen a "tradition" that the garter is removed from the bride by the best man (as opposed to the groom as in that link), using his teeth. As if a creepy tradition couldn't be creepier.

I'm bothered enough by the tradition of the "happy couple" violently shoving cake in each other's faces. There is no way I'd do the garter toss.

Aimee Evilpixie 10 August 2013 05:29 PM

We threw socks at our wedding reception. A pair of unicorn socks and a pair of dinosaur socks. And we ate our cake with a fork, like civilized beings.

quink 10 August 2013 10:45 PM

The weekend guy at the local Egyptian cafe makes really sloppy mummy wraps. The weekday staff does a much better job of wrapping them, but I'm trying not to dine out at all on weekdays. Now I have a wrap that somehow looks like it exploded in my hands (still delicious, though).

Wolf333 10 August 2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1759153)
Another TV related one: Mythbusters is doing a episode next week entirely testing stuff from Breaking Bad. I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I've only watched the first two episodes so far (I'll probably watch more this weekend, though). I want to watch the Mythbusters episode, but I'm afraid it will contain spoilers for Breaking Bad.

The two Myths tested are season 1, episodes 2 and 6. Just do a 4 episode marathon, and you're in the clear.

Wolf333 10 August 2013 11:25 PM

My local Kroger doesn't carry sourdough bread.

Cervus 11 August 2013 02:07 AM

Twitter's "turn off retweets" feature doesn't work.