snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First world problems (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=86479)

Alarm 01 August 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardM (Post 1756743)
Oh deer (sic) are you going to run for political office then? ;)

I'm confused, not addled!

:p

Lainie 01 August 2013 07:02 PM

My new work laptop's battery life is so long that I almost never have to plug it in, and so when I do I can never remember where the power port is.

DawnStorm 02 August 2013 10:53 PM

I had to use another elevator at work today because the main elevator in a client's apartment had been reserved for a move! At least I didn't have to use the stairs though.

Richard W 02 August 2013 11:19 PM

My new washer-dryer has absurdly long wash cycles. I noticed in the shop that it quoted nearly 4 hours for one cycle, but I said to the assistant that it seemed a very long time and she said that this was the longest cycle with all the extras, and that generally it would be a lot less.

I did one clothes wash without drying, and made it "semi-quick" and it took a reasonable time - still an hour and a half or so - and I hung the clothes on the rack to dry.

Then I thought I'd do some towels, with a pre-wash because they were a bit stained. And I wanted them to be dry, so set it to "store cupboard dry" - the middle option, between "iron dry" and "extra dry". The standard cycle to do that, for that fabric type and temperature is 7 hours and 24 minutes... I could make it shorter by pushing some "quick" buttons, but I could easily make it longer by pushing other buttons as well. This is for two large towels and one small towel.

I set it up to run overnight to see what will happen. This is meant to be a low-energy washer (category A), but really, if the cycles are that long, the power requirement would need to be less than a third of the power of my old one before there's any saving. You can't just cut the power and then make it run for much longer to make up for that, and still claim it's using less energy...

I don't know if this is a first-world problem or just a moan. At least this one has a timer, so that once I've got through my washing backlog I can set it up to run on the cheap rate once a week or so.

(eta) It's been going for over an hour now, and it hasn't even finished its pre-wash. I bloody well hope these towels come out clean...!

(eta again) Actually, by my watch it's only been going about half an hour. But the "time left" indicator on the machine has gone from 7 hours plus (I thought 7h 24m but may have been wrong) to 6h 19m. Odd.

WildaBeast 02 August 2013 11:55 PM

Due to the events I discussed in another thread, I had to actually drive my car to work today. Besides the fact that I just prefer to drive as little as possible, since I drove alone I didn't earn any credits to use towards entering the Sacramento Region Commuter Club's monthly raffle.

DawnStorm 06 August 2013 05:42 AM

Lets all pull out our violins for my poor DH who had to drive another route yesterday in addition to his own.

Little Pink Pill 06 August 2013 05:59 AM

I saw something crazy happen in front of me and couldn't rewind. Then I couldn't google to find out my grandma's favorite flower. :(

jimmy101_again 06 August 2013 07:41 PM

When having a problem installing a new wireless modem you can't do a Google search to get help.

Aud 1 07 August 2013 03:03 PM

I've gained enough weight that my wedding ring fits again. It feels weird to wear a wider band and I keep getting the stone caught on everything.

WildaBeast 09 August 2013 05:40 AM

I wasn't able to watch last night episode of Futurama when it aired because it was a long day and I had to get up early again today, so I just wanted to go to bed. I hoped I would be able to watch it on Comcast On Demand or Hulu or Comedy Central's web site, but no, Comedy Central only has "episode highlights" and it's not available anywhere else. I don't have a DVR, so I feel like I've gone back to the says before VCRs, when if you missed a show you just missed it and at best had to hope you'd catch a rerun of that episode someday. I guess I have to wait for it to be available on Netflix or catch a rerun.

Little Pink Pill 09 August 2013 06:16 AM

In keeping with that, I hate it when I watch a whole first season of something on Netflix, like it, but the third season starts on TV before season two is available.

Arriah 09 August 2013 06:49 AM

There was a fundraising book sale going on right on the counter that I wanted to sit at during lunch to read my book. I didn't dare even look over the books they had because I had my own book and I was afraid they'd think I stole it.

Alarm 09 August 2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aud 1 (Post 1758376)
I've gained enough weight that my wedding ring fits again. It feels weird to wear a wider band and I keep getting the stone caught on everything.

I've lost enough weight that my pants keep falling... despite wearing my belt in the first hole.

Oh no! time for a new, smaller belt!
:(

Alarm 09 August 2013 06:23 PM

I was actually considering switching to suspenders instead.

WildaBeast 09 August 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill (Post 1758980)
In keeping with that, I hate it when I watch a whole first season of something on Netflix, like it, but the third season starts on TV before season two is available.

I'm in that situation with Dr. Who. I've watched all the episodes available on Netflix, but I'm not caught up enough on the story arch to watch the episodes currently on TV.

A Turtle Named Mack 09 August 2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarm (Post 1759101)
I was actually considering switching to suspenders instead.

I have considered that, but for the opposite reason. :-o :lol:

WildaBeast 09 August 2013 08:02 PM

Another TV related one: Mythbusters is doing a episode next week entirely testing stuff from Breaking Bad. I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I've only watched the first two episodes so far (I'll probably watch more this weekend, though). I want to watch the Mythbusters episode, but I'm afraid it will contain spoilers for Breaking Bad.

Lainie 09 August 2013 08:09 PM

Crap. Me too.

Simply Madeline 09 August 2013 08:20 PM

My new earbuds don't have a volume control, so I have to adjust the volume on whichever device (iPad, laptop, mp3 player) I'm using. Woe is me.

Richard W 09 August 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1759155)
Crap. Me too.

Is this in response to ATNM's comments about the suspenders?

(We call those things "braces" in the UK. I had quite a different picture in mind until I remembered...)