snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First world problems (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=86479)

Not_Done_Living 26 October 2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chillas (Post 1778143)
I've been getting irritated lately when I see someone advertising their "mobile app" or "smartphone app," when what they really mean is their iPhone exclusive app. It's not the exclusivity that bothers me, but rather the vague language. If you're only available on one platform, be specific. If you use a general term like that, I'm going to assume you're available for the major platforms, not just one, and certainly not just the second place one in terms of market share.

To take this a step further -- i hate it when Android apps are available but then flagged as "does not work with this device" and then it turns out it really only works on ONE Brand of Android device regardless of OS version for no other reason. (aka when you can find and download the apk directly to find it works perfectly on your NOT a Samsung device)

queen of the caramels 27 October 2013 06:31 AM

The king and I went to see Zappa Plays Zappa and my ears hurt...It's been far too long since I took in a concert and I'm not used to the noise level any more.

Little Pink Pill 27 October 2013 07:43 AM

I actually carry a set of earplugs in my purse for occasions like that. I've used them at everything from movies to concerts to the Jungle Boat Cruise at Disneyland. I get the flesh colored ones in the hopes that people won't notice what a geek I am, but hey, I'm comfortable. ;)

Errata 27 October 2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chillas (Post 1778143)
If you use a general term like that, I'm going to assume you're available for the major platforms, not just one, and certainly not just the second place one in terms of market share.

Android has more phones and more downloads, but have less revenue from selling apps. Market share isn't worth as much if your market is full of freeloaders who expect apps to be free, so they're the second class citizens of the app world.

It doesn't matter how many people use Linux, Linux users don't buy stuff, so companies don't make stuff to run on Linux, or if they do it's an afterthought. Android is Linux and is no exception to this.

ganzfeld 27 October 2013 08:08 AM

Sure because if you've already paid too much for the platform then the chances good you're willing to spend too much for the software as well. No surprise there.

Errata 27 October 2013 08:42 AM

If your idea of the right price for an app is $0, then don't complain when something advertised as a "smartphone app" really means "iphone app".

ganzfeld 27 October 2013 09:33 AM

Nice non-sequitur.

Pinecone 27 October 2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1778058)
I wasn't suggesting there's a direct relationship, I'm just surprised people are willing to pay for the DVDs when the reruns are constantly on the air.

Maybe that's why the DVDs are in stores rather than in people's houses. ;)

kitap 27 October 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1778058)
I wasn't suggesting there's a direct relationship, I'm just surprised people are willing to pay for the DVDs when the reruns are constantly on the air.

I like BluRays of my favorite series. They often have exclusive footage-cut scenes, bloopers and commentary. Also there is no guarantee the show will still be n syndication 2 years from now.

Sue 27 October 2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitap (Post 1778254)
I like BluRays of my favorite series. They often have exclusive footage-cut scenes, bloopers and commentary. Also there is no guarantee the show will still be n syndication 2 years from now.

Also, especially for sitcoms, the episodes can be pretty butchered when aired in eternal rerun land. If I particularly like a show I can find this incredibly annoying. I want to see the whole show, not watch and find that scenes have been deleted to make room for more adverts.

Errata 27 October 2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganzfeld (Post 1778249)
Nice non-sequitur.

A typical price for an iPhone app is $0.99. A typical price for an Android app is $0. If you've seen the price of common iPhone apps and your complaint is that people are willing to "willing to spend too much for the software", then you're arguing that free is the only valid price. Don't expect reliable service for that price.

ganzfeld 27 October 2013 03:35 PM

I still don't see what your straw man has to do with chillas's comment. It doesn't have anything to do with whether an app that's exclusively for one platform should be advertised as a "smartphone app".

chillas 27 October 2013 04:57 PM

Yup, ganfield is right, there's no relevance to my comment. Worth noting, as well, the times I see this the most are for free iPhones apps.

Also worth nothing that the $0 versus $0.99 is also factually incorrect. It's more like $0.06 versus $0.19. Link.

ETA: Though that fact still remains irrelevant.

Errata 27 October 2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganzfeld (Post 1778260)
It doesn't have anything to do with whether an app that's exclusively for one platform should be advertised as a "smartphone app".

He called iPhone the second in market share. Which is not an accurate summary of the market for app developers who are looking to sell apps rather than give them away for free. iPhone is still the first smartphone that people care about when developing an app that isn't meant to be charity, and that's why developers may not concern themselves with minor details like having an Android version when marketing a smartphone app.

Gibbie 27 October 2013 08:04 PM

Actually I think it's less about making money on the apps and the fact that there are multiple Android platforms. Apple controls everything about the iPhone where as every Droid manufacturer is able to tweak the platform to their standards. Thus it's more difficult to develop and test for every handset that runs Droid. That also leads to the "is not compatible on your device" warning that may or may not be accurate. It might run but it might not run exactly as designed.

chillas 27 October 2013 08:09 PM

Android has over half the market share. The lowest number is around 55%, the highest nearly 80%, depending on how you count it. That's a majority. It remains a majority no matter what irrelevant and unrelated opinions you state as fact.

Errata 27 October 2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chillas (Post 1778281)
Android has over half the market share.

Those figures are the device market, but you were trying to introduce them into a discussion about app sales. The Android is not half the app market. It's a minority of the app market.

ganzfeld 27 October 2013 08:33 PM

There are so many leaps in your argument that I don't even know which one to begin with. But I guess the most obvious one is the one I already asked: What the heck does the profit share have to do with truth in advertising? Why should the consumer have to give a flying fleap in a rolling donut what apps cost on other platforms when trying to parse ads for apps?

Lainie 27 October 2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill (Post 1778242)
I actually carry a set of earplugs in my purse for occasions like that. I've used them at everything from movies to concerts to the Jungle Boat Cruise at Disneyland. I get the flesh colored ones in the hopes that people won't notice what a geek I am, but hey, I'm comfortable. ;)

I wish I'd had a pair last night. Not for the concert we went to -- that was great and not unpleasantly loud. But after the concert we went to this Holiday Inn bar (not my idea) and they had a cover band that was both terrible and terribly loud.

Sue 27 October 2013 09:11 PM

We went out for brunch today and the restaurant we were in (family style mom and pop type place) had the music so loud and booming it was almost impossible to have a conversation. I can understand (but not like) that a bar would have the music loud, but I just don't get why restaurants do it. Is the goal to get people moving in and out as quickly as possible so they maximize the # of customers they serve in a day?


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.