snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Humor (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Danger: These signs may cause excessive laughter (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=20686)

snopes 23 November 2007 05:23 PM

Danger: These signs may cause excessive laughter

We're not sure what makes linguistic gaffes so funny. They just are. From the well-intentioned but mangled message to intentional roadside levity, a simple sign can elicit unexpected laughs.

Now, a second published compilation, Signspotting 2: More Absurd & Amusing Signs From Around the World is in stores.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...ky-signs_N.htm

LyndaD 23 November 2007 05:55 PM

My favorites are the marquee at a KFC that read:

Drive-thru
Buffet
Open

and, at an open-air market near Ensenada, Mexico:

We cheat less here!

Then I remembered this one, posted at the Monterey Bay Aquarium:

Please do not flash the octipus.

(I keep thinking, okay, the other fish are okay with nudity, but apparently octipus are prudes?)

Nonny Mouse 23 November 2007 07:49 PM

I guess his would be aas good a place as any to mention that I'm giving a sermon at my church in January the theme of which is based on a "mangled English" sign someone posted on here a while back: "Beware of Safety".

Nonny "UU-UL fan" Mouse

RivkahChaya 23 November 2007 08:10 PM

Around here, there are lots of cemeteries that started out as private family burial places, and became public cemeteries, but are named for the original family, eg, "The Smith Cemetery."

I am not making this up: about 10 miles from my house, there's a cemetery called "The Gross Cemetery."

ButterscotchCat 24 November 2007 02:14 AM

O.K. the best I saw was a sign for daycare. The sign - exclaimed love, hugs,educational games and snakes

Towknie 24 November 2007 02:22 AM

I'm sure it's been posted on Snopes before, but when looking for funny signs, let us not forget the ever hilarious engrish.

Pseudo_Croat 24 November 2007 03:22 AM

I've seen a lot of funny signs in my lifetime:

On the door of a sushi restaurant: "Closed Today - Gone Fishing."

At a Christian Science nursing home: "Thou Shalt Not Trespass."

A sign at the entrance to the aviary at my workplace: "Do not look directly up with your mouth open."

- Pseudo "sign of the times" Croat

ButterscotchCat 24 November 2007 03:30 AM

When visting Estes Park Colorado a sign on a gift shop "Summer Hours from around 10:00 to about 5:00; Winter hours, totally unpredicatable"

LyndaD 24 November 2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RivkahChaya (Post 412545)
Around here, there are lots of cemeteries that started out as private family burial places, and became public cemeteries, but are named for the original family, eg, "The Smith Cemetery."

I am not making this up: about 10 miles from my house, there's a cemetery called "The Gross Cemetery."

I have no problem believing this. The local cemetery is Smith Mountain Cemetery (the mountain being named after a family), and I know a family whos last name is Gross.

Brad from Georgia 24 November 2007 10:10 AM

Macheath and I were driving to the ranger station at the Okefenokee Swamp Park in south Georgia when we passed a sign that warned "Blind Bus Drivers Turn Here."

ButterscotchCat 24 November 2007 05:05 PM

When I lived in Newport RI, there were 2 large cemeteries at the cross roads of Pergitory Way and Salvation Road. :fish:

AniMajor 26 November 2007 01:26 AM

I remember going past a sign that said "Resurrection Cemetery" on my way to school everyday.

Agent 99 29 November 2007 05:39 PM

In San Diego, we got a kick out of a sign on the freeway that said, "Cruise Ships Exit Here."

Mr. Furious 29 November 2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RivkahChaya (Post 412545)

Proving that alternative lifestyles are A-OK in NE PA, there is (or at least was) a company called "Gay Monument Works." And it was right next to "Gay Auto Sales," so you could buy a homosexual vehicle to drive your homosexual monument home!

Doug4.7 29 November 2007 05:47 PM

One of my favorites was the church sign that advertised "Live Crucifixions". We made sure we stayed away from that church, just in case they took "volunteers".....

vanilla 29 November 2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Furious (Post 419205)
Proving that alternative lifestyles are A-OK in NE PA, there is (or at least was) a company called "Gay Monument Works." And it was right next to "Gay Auto Sales," so you could buy a homosexual vehicle to drive your homosexual monument home!

At least that gay monument actually works - everytime I bring home one of those straight ones, they just plop down on the sofa, turn on the tv and start bellowing for beer and chips.

E. Q. Taft 17 January 2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudo_Croat (Post 412775)
At a Christian Science nursing home: "Thou Shalt Not Trespass."

Just recently, in the parking lot of a Presbyterian church, I saw one that read: "We forgive those who trespass upon us -- but you will still be towed."

Jay Temple 17 January 2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndaD (Post 412496)
Then I remembered this one, posted at the Monterey Bay Aquarium:

Please do not flash the octipus.

(I keep thinking, okay, the other fish are okay with nudity, but apparently octipus are prudes?)

Maybe they're just looking out for the safety of male patrons. I hate to think what might happen ...

mizzie 20 January 2008 05:56 PM

This one is in my home town. Sorry it's a little dark, I took this pic at night and across a road. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gnsAllowed.jpg

And where I went to college, there was a "Cease Funural Home." :lol:

Mr. Furious 20 January 2008 06:04 PM

I took this at at a Popeyes near US-17 and I-95 in Virginia:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...mp/popeyes.jpg

Yep, once you taste Popeyes flava, you'll never buy 11, get 11 free!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzie (Post 479675)
And where I went to college, there was a "Cease Funural Home." :lol:

One of my best friends from high school is a funeral director, and his last name is Cease. There aren't any colleges around his funeral home, though... the closest ones are 20-ish miles away, and they're small. It's #7 on this page.

ETA: Is it this outfit? They're in Minnesota.