snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Things you shouldn't have to tell people (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=95015)

Keket 26 November 2016 05:14 PM

Things you shouldn't have to tell people

Old thread closed, so hopefully I'm okay to start a new one.

TYSHTTP: It defeats the purpose of weight control pet food to free feed as much as the pet wants.

24k Kate 26 November 2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keket (Post 1935081)
Old thread closed, so hopefully I'm okay to start a new one.

TYSHTTP: It defeats the purpose of weight control pet food to free feed as much as the pet wants.

My vet often recommends a small amount Cheerios a day as a replacement treat for overweight dogs. One of our clients took this advice to heart- she proudly brought us a picture of her dog with it's whole head inside a cereal box, chowing down. :rolleyes:

Dasla 27 November 2016 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24k Kate (Post 1935084)
My vet often recommends a small amount Cheerios a day as a replacement treat for overweight dogs. One of our clients took this advice to heart- she proudly brought us a picture of her dog with it's whole head inside a cereal box, chowing down. :rolleyes:

For a second or two I forgot what Cheerios are in the US. In Australia they are cocktail sausages, popular at children's parties. I was wondering why this would be considered diet food for dogs.

Lainie 28 November 2016 03:24 PM

1. The restaurant is loud and we're already having trouble hearing each other. Holding your hand in front of your mouth while you're talking makes it even harder to hear you. Stop it. (I had to tell my 71YO brother this Saturday).

2a. Don't walk backwards. You can't see where you're going.
2b. Before boarding an elevator, look to see if people are trying to get off, and let them get off before you get on.
2c. Absolutely do not walk backwards into an elevator. See 2a and 2b. ETA: Also, this.

Sue 28 November 2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1935180)

2a. Don't walk backwards. You can't see where you're going.

And if it's really windy and cold and you are walk/running backwards because it's a little easier to take at least have the common sense not to do it with headphones on because that's why you didn't hear the angry lady who finally had to resort to shouting at you and then had to grab you by the shoulder before you plowed into the elderly woman trying to progress up the sidewalk with a walker.

DrRocket 28 November 2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1935180)
2c. Absolutely do not walk backwards into an elevator. See 2a and 2b. ETA: Also, this.

I broke one of my standing rules and read the comments. Some of them were actually pretty funny!

RobDBlackwolf 29 November 2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasla (Post 1935110)
For a second or two I forgot what Cheerios are in the US. In Australia they are cocktail sausages, popular at children's parties. I was wondering why this would be considered diet food for dogs.

As a tangential note: in the german dub of the movie "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas", the songs were not dubbed (of course) but subtitled. When Burt Reynolds sang "Sneaking Around", the cheerios part of "I like beer and rodeos, detective books and dominoes, football games and cheerios..." was translated as "big hellos", as in the english greeting/farewell of "Cheerio, old chap." Only once I moved into the USA and saw actual Cheerios did I realize what he was singing about.

Sue 02 December 2016 05:36 PM

To friend of a relative of mine posting on FB, sorry Charlie, if you get all hurt and sad because you are being described as a racist "just because of the man I voted for" well tough noogies. You are judged by the company you keep.

ETA: I'm sure there were Germans in the '30s who said the same thing....

Beachlife! 02 December 2016 05:57 PM

Godwin, party for one.

RichardM 02 December 2016 06:06 PM

Actually may be true. I am reading a history of WWII written fairly recently by a former British army officer. His description of the political promises given by Hitler sound very close to Trump's rhetoric. And people within his organization are complaining about Trump selecting people for office that aren't loyal to Trump. Remember Hitler changed the military oath so that the army pledged loyalty to Hitler and not to the country.

Beachlife! 02 December 2016 06:10 PM

It may be true that Donald Trump is going to declare war on Europe and initiate another Holocaust?! Because that's what stands out about Hitler.

smittykins 02 December 2016 06:56 PM

In the old "Mikey" Life cereal commercial, it's not "He'll eat anything." It's "He won't eat it, he hates everything." Which is why his brothers are so surprised when he does eat it.

GenYus234 02 December 2016 06:58 PM

Based on some of his more severe rhetoric, Trump is certainly capable starting a massively destructive war. And he's certainly drummed up a great deal of hate against a religious minority.

WildaBeast 02 December 2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittykins (Post 1935564)
In the old "Mikey" Life cereal commercial, it's not "He'll eat anything." It's "He won't eat it, he hates everything." Which is why his brothers are so surprised when he does eat it.

That makes a lot more sense. I was always confused by the "he'll eat anything" version for exactly the reason you describe -- why would they trust Mikey's opinion of the cereal? They just said he'll eat anything. I eventually concluded Mikey was the kid who would eat gross things for attention even if he didn't actually like them, thus the other kids used him as their taste tester.

jimmy101_again 02 December 2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 1935561)
It may be true that Donald Trump is going to declare war on Europe and initiate another Holocaust?! Because that's what stands out about Hitler.

Not through the 1930's. "Holocaust" or anything like it was never mentioned in his speeches prior to the start of the war.

Sue 02 December 2016 09:41 PM

I wasn't really thinking that Trump himself is another Hitler (although time will tell of course) what I was thinking was that I am sure there were people in Germany who voted for Hitler and then went around denying that it was because he actually spoke for them in any way. Right.

And really if you don't want to have to defend who you voted for it might be a good idea to stop trumpeting it (see what I did there?) all over the place. Who you vote for doesn't have to be broadcast all over FB or anyplace else for that matter.

Mouse 03 December 2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1935565)
Based on some of his more severe rhetoric, Trump is certainly capable starting a massively destructive war. And he's certainly drummed up a great deal of hate against a religious minority.

Every time someone objects to comparing Trump to Hitler, I'm like "Trump's only advocating that certain religious and ethnic groups are less than human and therefore, undeserving of basic human rights. There's nothing remotely Hitler-ish about that at all." :rolleyes:

Though sometimes I feel like saying, "At least Hitler had some work ethic." I know, I always flog myself afterwards for thinking or saying it, but Hitler legitimately started at the bottom rung of society and worked his way up. Trump started with a million dollar loan from his daddy and managed to squander the hell out of it. :fish:

Gutter Monkey 03 December 2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 1935561)

When the subject of nuclear missiles came up and Trump was asked if he wouldn't use them on Europe he refused to answer either way. So he hasn't said that he would rain down nuclear armaggedon on Europe but he also hasn't said that he wouldn't do it.

So ..... maybe?

crocoduck_hunter 03 December 2016 01:58 AM

Is there something special about Europe that makes a hypothetical nuclear assault on it more heinous an act than one against Africa or Asia?

Gutter Monkey 03 December 2016 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1935607)
Is there something special about Europe that makes a hypothetical nuclear assault on it more heinous an act than one against Africa or Asia?

In general? No.

For Trump voters? Yeah a few things ...