snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Social Studies (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   A Robot has been made a citizen (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96139)

ChasFink 27 October 2017 03:24 PM

A Robot has been made a citizen

The story from Mashable:

People are outraged that Sophia the robot has more rights than most women in Saudi Arabia
Quote:

Sophia the robot, made by American firm Hanson Robotics, has been officially named a citizen of Saudi Arabia — the first country in the world to grant a robot the right to citizenship.
I get a real creepy feeling from this, and it's not just the women's rights issue.

Alarm 27 October 2017 05:22 PM

Some of her comments are the type of thing you expect from a AI bent on taking over the world...

Quote:

“You’ve been reading too much Elon Musk. And watching too many Hollywood movies. Don’t worry, if you’re nice to me, I’ll be nice to you. Treat me as a smart input-output system,”
And if she feels we are not nice to her? :confused:

There were other things said too, but my google-fu is failing me...

jimmy101_again 27 October 2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasFink (Post 1962649)
I get a real creepy feeling from this, and it's not just the women's rights issue.

Why? The robot can't vote, or receive social support, doesn't pay taxes, ...

The only possible way I can see this being a problem has nothing to do with the robot(s) and everything to do with the gov't. Make the robots citizens, let them vote, and since there is no such thing as a truly autonomous robot, the robot's owners get to have it vote however they want. Plus, of course, you have a situation where it is legal for a person to own a "citizen".

ChasFink 27 October 2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy101_again (Post 1962673)
Why? The robot can't vote, or receive social support, doesn't pay taxes, ...

The only possible way I can see this being a problem has nothing to do with the robot(s) and everything to do with the gov't. Make the robots citizens, let them vote, and since there is no such thing as a truly autonomous robot, the robot's owners get to have it vote however they want. Plus, of course, you have a situation where it is legal for a person to own a "citizen".

You stated a few serious issues right there. And among other things, imagine what will happen when robots DO become more autonomous. They could use this as legal precedent. And if Sophia ever does develop in that direction, she might demand a vote, and social services, and God knows what else. I know this is little more than a publicity stunt right now, but as with a lot of technology issues today, the desire to simply do something cool right now is overriding the need to just wait and think things out first.

crocoduck_hunter 27 October 2017 10:22 PM

To be honest, if AI research ever advances to the point where we have robots with the level of autonomy you're describing, I don't see why we shouldn't give them rights.