snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96213)

thorny locust 17 November 2017 03:31 AM

Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota
 
Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota

Quote:

"It is a below-ground pipeline but some oil has surfaced above ground to the grass," Walsh said. "It will be a few days until they can excavate and get in borings to see if there is groundwater contamination."

crocoduck_hunter 17 November 2017 05:09 AM

Coincidentally, I think it's Nebraska that's about to vote on whether or not to allow a Keystone Pipeline extension into their state. Wonder how this will affect that vote.

thorny locust 17 November 2017 12:11 PM

Yeah, the oil company may be annoyed about the timing. It's harder to say 'don't worry, our lines won't leak!' when your lines are freshly in the news for leaking.

Of course, if the oil's in the groundwater, a number of people may be rather more than annoyed about that --

Mouse 18 November 2017 01:16 AM

I wonder how those poor Standing Rock protestors are taking it.

I also wonder if there's ever any satisfaction is being able to go, "I told you so." :(

gopher 20 November 2017 09:01 AM

Reading internet comments from supporters of the pipeline seemed to mainly consist of "Who Cares, we don't live there/It's only North Dakota"

thorny locust 20 November 2017 02:02 PM

Reminds me somewhat of a conversation I once had with a family member who's very much in favor of continued human population growth, but didn't want housing built on a then-open field in his immediate neighborhood.

He said, more or less, 'They should build it somewhere that nobody cares about!' and I said, more or less, 'There's no such place on the planet.'

dfresh 20 November 2017 04:38 PM

A Facebook friend is going on about how it wasn't the new pipeline that leaked, but an older one, so it is irrelevant. Um...no, it shows that pipelines leak, even ones built and owned by this company.

Psihala 20 November 2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1964532)
Coincidentally, I think it's Nebraska that's about to vote on whether or not to allow a Keystone Pipeline extension into their state. Wonder how this will affect that vote.

It didn't.

Nebraska panel approves alternative Keystone XL route

~Psihala

thorny locust 20 November 2017 06:55 PM

From the article Psihala just linked:

Quote:

Opponents are expected to appeal the Nebraska commission's decision in a state district court, and the case is likely to end up before the Nebraska Supreme Court. The commission was forbidden by law from considering a recent oil spill in South Dakota on the existing Keystone pipeline in its decision.

Beachlife! 20 November 2017 07:04 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question. Both my ice-maker and washing machine have hoses which automatically cut of the flow if a leak occurs. Why can't a pipeline do something similar?

Maybe this is happening, but 210,000 is the number of gallons that spills out before these measures kick in.

crocoduck_hunter 20 November 2017 07:52 PM

Anti-leak technology is expensive. It's much cheaper to just let the leaks happen and fob the costs off to the taxpayers.

No, actually, I haven't got the slightest idea whether they have any sort of auto-shutoff tech for pipelines, but given the amount of oil release any time a leak happens I'm guessing there isn't or it's not being used.

WildaBeast 20 November 2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 1964742)
Maybe this is a stupid question. Both my ice-maker and washing machine have hoses which automatically cut of the flow if a leak occurs. Why can't a pipeline do something similar?

I honestly have no idea how the auto shutoff in those devices works, but I'm going to take a guess and guess that they rely on a drop in pressure to detect when there's a leak. Are oil pipelines pressurized, or are they just gravity fed?

jimmy101_again 20 November 2017 08:51 PM

There may well be automatic shutoffs (heck there probably are). The problem is that all the oil between shutoffs will leak out even if the shutoffs work properly.

210,000 gallons of liquid in a 1 foot diameter pipe is 36,000 linear feet of pipe (about 6.8 miles). So if the cutoffs are 7 miles apart ...

Or, if it is a 4 foot diameter pipe, that's only a half mile of pipe.

jimmy101_again 20 November 2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1964758)
I honestly have no idea how the auto shutoff in those devices works, but I'm going to take a guess and guess that they rely on a drop in pressure to detect when there's a leak. Are oil pipelines pressurized, or are they just gravity fed?

Well, since the pipe runs pretty much north to the south then gravity should be enough.
:fish:

(Yes, basically all pipelines are pressurized.)

Mouse 21 November 2017 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopher (Post 1964701)
Reading internet comments from supporters of the pipeline seemed to mainly consist of "Who Cares, we don't live there/It's only North Dakota"

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1964710)
Reminds me somewhat of a conversation I once had with a family member who's very much in favor of continued human population growth, but didn't want housing built on a then-open field in his immediate neighborhood.

He said, more or less, 'They should build it somewhere that nobody cares about!' and I said, more or less, 'There's no such place on the planet.'

In fairness, that is one of the tenets of the Right. In addition to “I’ve got mine, get yours,” “Women, minorities, and anyone making less than six figures, is well and truly NFBSKed,” they also believe, “It doesn’t affect me or anyone I care about, so why should I care?”

gopher 23 November 2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 1964781)
In fairness, that is one of the tenets of the Right. In addition to “I’ve got mine, get yours,” “Women, minorities, and anyone making less than six figures, is well and truly NFBSKed,” they also believe, “It doesn’t affect me or anyone I care about, so why should I care?”

And most of them will claim to be Christian.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.