snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   An attempt to put Charlottesville into a coherent video (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96565)

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 02 April 2018 05:14 PM

An attempt to put Charlottesville into a coherent video

Iím not sure he quite succeeds, and most points have been raised before (i.e. ďTheyíre NFBSKing NazisĒ and ďitís been thin ice for a whileĒ) but itís quite the game attempt.

Be warned though: this video is almost an hour long, as he covers just about everything from the events leading up to the clusterNFBSK, to the murder, to responses from people who were there (who attempt to patch it over), to the various flags on display (hint: a good portion are Nazi flags), to responses from people who werenít there (The Donald, Carl and I think a few other people that Carl probably boosted. I have no idea who that Millennial Woes guy is), to the current state of the Alt-Right and how someone NFBSKed it all up.

Mouse 03 April 2018 02:15 AM

Iím raising an eyebrow at the last sentence in your post. You mean to tell me that the Alt-Right wasnít a NFBSKing load of toxic bullshit to begin with? Richard Spencer, the guy who coined the term, is basically a Nazi, so the idea that the alt-Right was built around something that isnít racist, sexist, jingoistic bullshit, is more than just a little hard to swallow.

Regarding your posting of YouTube videos, I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, half of me is like, ďwhy should we discuss some random jerkís YouTube video?Ē but unfortunately, many of the ideas proposed by these sentient bottles of Axe Body Spray, are having a disturbing amount of influence on actual politics. So many of the Alt-Right, was spawned in the toxic sludge of GamerGate as were many of their tactics.

In short, color me confused. :(

ganzfeld 03 April 2018 02:29 AM

I was too. Like "then the nazis totally ruined fascism for everyone". wth

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 03 April 2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 1975716)
I’m raising an eyebrow at the last sentence in your post. You mean to tell me that the Alt-Right wasn’t a NFBSKing load of toxic bullshit to begin with? Richard Spencer, the guy who coined the term, is basically a Nazi, so the idea that the alt-Right was built around something that isn’t racist, sexist, jingoistic bullshit, is more than just a little hard to swallow.

Regarding your posting of YouTube videos, I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, half of me is like, “why should we discuss some random jerk’s YouTube video?” but unfortunately, many of the ideas proposed by these sentient bottles of Axe Body Spray, are having a disturbing amount of influence on actual politics. So many of the Alt-Right, was spawned in the toxic sludge of GamerGate as were many of their tactics.

In short, color me confused. :(

I’m actually referring to that one guy who murdered the girl. The video ends by saying Spencer planned to get thrown out so he could play victim (after a series of miscommunications led to violent confrontations), but then one guy ruined that.

Also, in this case Shaun is attempting to tell the large masses who weren’t there and know it only for one thing exactly what went wrong and why James Alex Fields drove the car.

thorny locust 03 April 2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu (Post 1975723)
Shaun is attempting to tell the large masses who werenít there and know it only for one thing

Which one thing?

The tiki torch march? 'Jews will not replace us'? 'Blood and soil'? Nazi symbols?

I have never heard anybody objecting to the Charlotteville rallies who thought that the murder by car was the only thing wrong with it.

Lainie 03 April 2018 04:00 PM

The original sentence is worse than that, as it implies that the murder by car is the only thing that "NFBSK'ed up" the entire alt-right movement, not just the Charlottesville march.

The whole point of calling it the alt-right was to suck people in and get them nice and loyal and invested before they brought up the whole "oh, yeah, we probably do want to kill all these people eventually, we've been lying about that all along, 'cause people hate Nazis."

I hope there will be further clarification.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 03 April 2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1975745)
Which one thing?

The tiki torch march? 'Jews will not replace us'? 'Blood and soil'? Nazi symbols?

I have never heard anybody objecting to the Charlotteville rallies who thought that the murder by car was the only thing wrong with it.

Iím pretty sure that it was all fun and games until someone lost her life there. For a given, extremely loose definition of ďfun and gamesĒ.

DawnStorm 03 April 2018 04:43 PM

I heard on the news this morning that a rebel flag has gone up in the Charlottesville area. Off to Google it.
Yup, it's there--along I64 on leased property.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 03 April 2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1975756)
The whole point of calling it the alt-right was to suck people in and get them nice and loyal and invested before they brought up the whole "oh, yeah, we probably do want to kill all these people eventually, we've been lying about that all along, 'cause people hate Nazis."

Iím pretty sure that Richard Backpfeifengesicht Spencer (Thatís what the B stands for, right?) just wanted to look more legitimate. Also, it was a whole bunch of disparate groups, many of which donít really get along, and none of which had any illusions.

GenYus234 03 April 2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1975766)
I heard on the news this morning that a rebel flag has gone up in the Charlottesville area. Off to Google it.
Yup, it's there--along I64 on leased property.

I support their right to be racist assholes on private land.

Flag of the Army of the Cumberland

thorny locust 03 April 2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu (Post 1975761)
Iím pretty sure that it was all fun and games until someone lost her life there. For a given, extremely loose definition of ďfun and gamesĒ.

Not any definition that I'd accept.

erwins 03 April 2018 06:15 PM

I continue to be baffled by these threads. I don't understand the purpose of them.

Lainie 03 April 2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu (Post 1975768)
I’m pretty sure that Richard Backpfeifengesicht Spencer (That’s what the B stands for, right?) just wanted to look more legitimate. Also, it was a whole bunch of disparate groups, many of which don’t really get along, and none of which had any illusions.

I didn't say they had illusions. I said they wanted to suck in people who didn't know their true agenda, and I stand by that position. That's how radicalization works. We acknowledge that when it comes to brown Islamist terrorists, I don't why anyone pretends it's not true of white ones in polo shirts.

I was actually hoping for clarification that you didn't think they were just fine until they murdered somebody with a car. The fact that you haven't provided it speaks volumes. F*** Nazis and their sympathizers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1975770)

Ditto.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 04 April 2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1975770)

Iím pretty sure someone was having fun. Just not anyone with a sense of decency.

ganzfeld 04 April 2018 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erwins (Post 1975773)
I continue to be baffled by these threads. I don't understand the purpose of them.

I know, right? It's a bit like collecting baseball cards of the alt-right/alt-idiot/alt-jerk crowd. (Have it. Want it... Don't need it...) I used to have a teacher (and not a history teacher) who read nothing but biographies. He would bring them and leave them on the desk. They were all about famous nazis and despots. I understand. It's late at night in a strange city and that's what catches your brain on the cable TV. But every book? Creeped me the heck out in all seriousness.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 04 April 2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1975782)

I was actually hoping for clarification that you didn't think they were just fine until they murdered somebody with a car. The fact that you haven't provided it speaks volumes. F*** Nazis and their sympathizers.

I didnít say that I was fine with it, and wasnít hoping to imply such (I would have thought that the big German word there was actually a clue: it means ďA face that needs to be punchedĒ). The fact remains however that this one specific rally was initially sanctioned up to a point, and hate speech is constitutionally protected.

ganzfeld 04 April 2018 02:24 AM

Wow. OK, now, that's an non-denial almost worthy of Huckabee-Sanders.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu 04 April 2018 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganzfeld (Post 1975825)
Wow. OK, now, that's an non-denial almost worthy of Huckabee-Sanders.

Iím writing on my phone as I head down the roads of Tasmania, so unfortunately my mind is not able to be on one thing.

However, if you go through all the videos Iíve shared so far, the ones Iíve championed (Shaun, Hbomb) are leftist points of view, while I would prefer to point and laugh at Paul Joseph Watson (and called him, Carl Benjamin/Sargon Of Akkad and Stefan Molyneux ďAwful PeopleĒ).

Also, I called an episode of Q&A (a Town Hall-styled debate program on our ABC, which is one of the programs you should watch if youíre a person that lives in our country) a glorious open season on Pauline Hanson, a politician infamous for her racist platform (who had made the then-recent claim that 98% of Australians hated Halal and was a speaker at Reclaim Australia).

ganzfeld 04 April 2018 07:01 AM

Well, I should have added a smiley or something. :)

One point is that if we have a new thread for every commentator on these subjects who interests you personally (for I can't really see any other reason you're posting them here) then the ULMB is going to end up like the Pokeman who took over Wikipedia. I mean, you mentioned five or six videos and you've made at least one new thread for each amateur pundit.

But that's just me and I've already said that so... Carry on, I guess

Lainie 04 April 2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu (Post 1975824)
I didnít say that I was fine with it, and wasnít hoping to imply such (I would have thought that the big German word there was actually a clue: it means ďA face that needs to be punchedĒ). The fact remains however that this one specific rally was initially sanctioned up to a point, and hate speech is constitutionally protected.

I'm aware of what the word means, and I don't need you to tutor me in the First Amendment.

IMO, if you need to sow hints to people that you don't support Nazis, you're doing it wrong.