snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First world problems (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=95242)

KirkMcD 12 January 2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardM (Post 1968893)
Use a hammer to jar the mouse a little bit. If that doesn't work, use the hammer more vigorously and then buy a new mouse

"When in doubt, use a hammer" has always been my repair mantra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker (Post 1968878)
Yup, one of the first things I did. Didn't help. The only thing that has helped was the suggestion that I bang the mouse against the desk when it starts doing this.

It's probably clogged with dust and such. If you can open it up, you can usually clean it.

-- Karyn

jimmy101_again 12 January 2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkMcD (Post 1969057)

And if that doesn't work get a bigger hammer.

Seaboe Muffinchucker 12 January 2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarynMcD (Post 1969057)
It's probably clogged with dust and such. If you can open it up, you can usually clean it.

I've looked and don't see any way to open it. I also think I may have knocked something loose, since it now rattles when I shake it.

On the other hand, it's working fine today.

Seaboe

mbravo 12 January 2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarynMcD (Post 1969057)

Reading this advice after finishing up the previous page's discusison about warts... :eek: :eek:

Dr. Winston O'Boogie 12 January 2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkMcD (Post 1969057)

-- Karyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy101_again (Post 1969065)
And if that doesn't work get a bigger hammer.

Or, (to pull it full circle), I've always said

If it's too big, use a hammer.
If it's too small, use duct tape.

GenYus234 12 January 2018 09:47 PM

"If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape."
"If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40."

WildaBeast 12 January 2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1968797)
I recently got a Nest thermostat. One of the reasons I got it was that it's supposed to automatically detect whether I'm home or not based on the location of my phone and automatically turn down the temperature when I'm not home. Except it isn't...

So a new related FWP: I was going to email Nest's support staff with the issue, except apparently they don't have an email option. Their only options for contacting tech support are live chat, phone, and Twitter. I don't use Twitter, I'd rather not use the phone if there are other options, and I'd just send off an email and go do other things while waiting for a solution rather than being stuck in a chat session troubleshooting. Besides, given the nature of my problem we won't know if the problem is fixed until I leave.

Dasla 13 January 2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbravo (Post 1969073)
Reading this advice after finishing up the previous page's discusison about warts... :eek: :eek:

Yes when I first read that I did think, briefly, it was about warts. :lol:

DawnStorm 13 January 2018 02:03 PM

Went to Costco yesterday, and when I got home, I realized that I forgot some things. I really need to go back today. :mad:

GenYus234 14 January 2018 03:26 AM

Got a new computer today, setup was pretty easy.

FWP #1: Old keyboard was PS/2* and I don't have a PS/2 to USB adapter so I have to use the keyboard from the computer and it has the backslash next to single/double quotes where I'm used to it being next to the bracket key above the enter key. So I keep hitting backslash instead of enter.\**
FWP #2: Every website and application I belong to is going "New computer, who dis?" and I can't get the email from one to verify.

* Shut up, I like the old IBM thunk keyboard and won't pay $65 for a new one when I have a perfectly good (PS/2 adapter issue aside) old one.
** Not done deliberately, but deliberately left in as an example.

Die Capacitrix 14 January 2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildaBeast (Post 1969081)
Besides, given the nature of my problem we won't know if the problem is fixed until I leave.

Does putting the phone in airplane mode also trigger the temperature, or does the phone have to be somewhere else?

Beachlife! 14 January 2018 08:27 PM

WildaBeast, I just bought a Nest, based on your post and the need to set the temperature from my bed.

When I went to the gym today I found that I had to tell it I was away, but it knew I was home by the time I was in the driveway.

Is it possible that is how it is designed to work? If you are just leaving for a quick trip somewhere, you might not want the house to reset to an Eco temperature. I'm not sure how it 'know' it needs to mark you as away.

WildaBeast 14 January 2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix (Post 1969167)
Does putting the phone in airplane mode also trigger the temperature, or does the phone have to be somewhere else?

It's based on the phone's location, so setting it to airplane mode would actually prevent it from switching by turning off the GPS as well as preventing it from signaling to the Nest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 1969198)
Is it possible that is how it is designed to work? If you are just leaving for a quick trip somewhere, you might not want the house to reset to an Eco temperature. I'm not sure how it 'know' it needs to mark you as away.

Well in my case I was finding it hadn't switched to away even after I'd been at work for several hours. But the support guy I chatted with was helpful and it seems to be fixed, and it in fact now does change to away when I make a quick trip to the store.