snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First world problems (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=95242)

thorny locust 29 March 2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker (Post 1945674)
That particular justification always leaves me wondering--what about her father? Doesn't he deserve to be honored?

For that matter, what about her mother? Or his mother?

People ought to take the names they want to take. Other people should not give them grief about it. (Not that I'm expecting to get any argument here about either part of that.)

Sooeygun 29 March 2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1945679)
People ought to take the names they want to take. Other people should not give them grief about it. (Not that I'm expecting to get any argument here about either part of that.)

Exactly! By taking Mr S's last name, I didn't bow to the patriarchy! I just really like his last name and mine was very boring (Hill). Of course, I doomed myself to a life of spelling my last name, because everyone assumes it's German not English.

Cervus 29 March 2017 04:33 PM

I wonder how many of the people who insist on "preserving the father's/husband's name" had ancestors whose surnames changed, either on purpose or by accident, when they emigrated to the US.

I'm of Nordic heritage, and up until the early 1900s, my family tree shows a patronymic and matronymic naming system that changed family surnames with every new generation. That stopped when they came to America, and I think various Scandinavian countries passed a law against it as well. My grandfather was extremely proud of his Norwegian heritage, but somehow the traditional naming conventions didn't pass muster with him; one of my first experiences of patriarchy was hearing my grandfather tell me, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, that I should have been born a boy to carry on the family name, because being a girl meant that I would take my husband's name when I married, and thus our family name would die out. (I'm an only child with no cousins.)

To this day I have no idea why it would be important for a "family name" to be perpetuated to the extent that he told me I should have been born a boy.

I don't remember if I said anything to him at the time, but I know I decided I was never going to get married if it meant I had to change my name, because that wasn't fair.

Beachlife! 29 March 2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

...People ought to take the names they want to take. Other people should not give them grief about it. (Not that I'm expecting to get any argument here about either part of that.)

I totally agree on all accounts.

Taking your husbands name to honor his father makes absolutely no sense. I've never heard that argument before.

Seaboe Muffinchucker 29 March 2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

People ought to take the names they want to take.

I have a friend who chose her surname (as did her daughter). As she put it about her name "one given, one chosen."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervus (Post 1945688)
I'm of Nordic heritage, and up until the early 1900s, my family tree shows a patronymic and matronymic naming system that changed family surnames with every new generation.

As I understand it, that stopped about 1900. My grandfather was born Eric Johanson but he and his brothers who immigrated to the U.S. chose to step back a generation and become Pearsons (not the original Swedish spelling). His older brother who stayed in Sweden remained a Johanson.

If I go back far enough into my family tree, it gets quite confusing, though, because there are three or four generations of Johan Johanson.

Seaboe

dfresh 29 March 2017 08:16 PM

My wife caught some minor grief from her mom for taking my last name when we married, instead of "honoring the family name". My wife asked why she would want to honor the name of an abusive pedophile, son of an abusing drunk, grandson of an abusive drunk, instead of the name of an incredibly sweet, kind, generous man (my dad)? My BIL who was there jokingly asked if he could take my last name too.

My wife also took my name since her maiden name since it was a VERY common name (Harris), and mine is....well, I think she is one of two people in the world with her particular first and last name now.

Seaboe, I thought my family was confusing since there was Samuel, son of Samuel, grandson of Samuel, great grandson of Samuel, with at least two cousins name Samuel, and a couple of other Samuels in there who died young, so the name was reused with the next son. His wife's father was also named Samuel...as was her brother. (I am descended from Samuel, Samuel, Samuel, Samuel, and Samuel, but not from Samuel, Samuel, Samuel, or Samuel...)

GenYus234 29 March 2017 08:32 PM

My grandmother's line at least alternated the name every generation. William, son of James, son of William, son of James, etc back for hundreds of years.

Sooeygun 29 March 2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfresh (Post 1945722)
My wife also took my name since her maiden name since it was a VERY common name (Harris), and mine is....well, I think she is one of two people in the world with her particular first and last name now.

Mr S's last name and now mine is uncommon. To the point of when we see it, he (or his mother) can tell you who that is and who they sprang from. So I find it funny that in Toronto there is someone (a cousin) with the same name as me. I won something on the radio one day and she was getting congratulated by her friends.

thorny locust 29 March 2017 10:28 PM

That confusion of multiple generations with the same first name is somewhat reduced in Ashkenazi (and maybe Sephardic, I don't know) tradition by not re-giving the name, within the same family, while the namesake is still alive.

I was given a form of my paternal grandmother's name for my middle name: she had died before I was born. My maternal grandmother's name (let alone my mother's) would not have been an option: she was still alive at the time.

WildaBeast 30 March 2017 05:07 PM

I plugged my phone in to charge last night. When I got up this morning I discovered it hadn't actually charged and was at 10%.

crocoduck_hunter 30 March 2017 05:33 PM

Was your charger not fully plugged in?

WildaBeast 30 March 2017 05:48 PM

I wonder if the connector on the phone is getting flakey. When I was charging it in the car on the way to work it kept making the sound it makes when you plug it in, as if it was being plugged in, unplugged, plugged in again... Although now that it's plugged in at my desk it seems to be charging just fine.

Cervus 31 March 2017 01:22 AM

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and I've discovered the zipper on my jacket is broken in such an odd way that I have no idea how I'd fix it.

Richard W 31 March 2017 01:35 AM

Does it suddenly have a goldfish attached to it through a length of liquorice straw? If so, the trick is not to feed the goldfish for several days, until it gets hungry and eats the liquorice, thus freeing both itself and the zip. It might get hungry enough overnight, if you leave it away from any other food sources and are lucky. Don't be tempted to put it in the freezer - that makes the liquorice too hard for the fish to bite.

dfresh 31 March 2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooeygun (Post 1945730)
So I find it funny that in Toronto there is someone (a cousin) with the same name as me. I won something on the radio one day and she was getting congratulated by her friends.

I Googled my wife's name yesterday to see if she was still one of two people with her name in the country...turns out there is a third. The other one lives in the same county, within 20 miles from us. I only found her since she was in a swimming contest at the local Y. As far as I can tell, the other group of people with my last name is not closely related, but we must be at least tenth cousins.

Mouse 31 March 2017 01:54 AM

Unsolved Mysteries is available on Amazon, complete with Robert Stack's narration, but I have to use my dad's account to watch it. And the guy who reads the "What you're about to see is not a news broadcast" in no way compares to Robert Stack.

Dasla 31 March 2017 03:20 AM

I moved all my plants from my balcony into my laundry because we were having bad wether and I didn't want them get blown around. Now I have to move them all back again. It seemed so much easier yesterday. :(

crocoduck_hunter 31 March 2017 04:48 AM

FWP: I found out that my favorite pizza place is going to be closing on Saturday. It's going to stay closed for the foreseeable future in order to completely remodel the interior, which has stayed the same since I was a kid. I honestly don't see the point- maybe they need to do some kitchen work but the seating area is perfectly fine- doesn't look dated or anything.

mbravo 31 March 2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 1945862)
Unsolved Mysteries is available on Amazon, complete with Robert Stack's narration, but I have to use my dad's account to watch it. And the guy who reads the "What you're about to see is not a news broadcast" in no way compares to Robert Stack.

I was watching the episodes they show on TV that have Dennis Farina (and include the updates at the end about people in the shorts who have since passed on/been released etc), but would love to see the original episodes. Also my FWP about the show was that the channels didn't include episode information for it. I guess because they're all chopped up rearrangementsof the orriginal episodes, but it would have been useful to me when I was trying to catch them on my DVR- I could have saved myself some time instead of recording ones I'd already seen.

kitap 31 March 2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1945723)
My grandmother's line at least alternated the name every generation. William, son of James, son of William, son of James, etc back for hundreds of years.

My paternal side for several generations looks like this: Johann Heinrich, son of Heinrich Johann, son of Johann Heinrich. One of the Johann Heinrichs had a brother Heinrich Johann. Apparently we were not imaginative namers in 19th century America in my family.