snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Humor (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newsreader fails: the 30 most baffling onscreen errors (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=51232)

snopes 22 September 2009 08:04 AM

Newsreader fails: the 30 most baffling onscreen errors
 
Following Fox 5 news anchor Ernie Arnastos's four-letter 'chicken' outburst, we look at some of the best autocue catastrophes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...en-errors.html

Brad from Georgia 22 September 2009 01:33 PM

Teachers foul up, too. I recall one of my friends at UGA getting mixed up with "Huck Finn," turning the name into a phrase suggestive of sex with poultry, and being called into the office when a student complained. She was terrified, but the head of Freshman English just told her it happens.

Ana Ng 22 September 2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia (Post 1053398)
Teachers foul up, too. I recall one of my friends at UGA getting mixed up with "Huck Finn," turning the name into a phrase suggestive of sex with poultry, and being called into the office when a student complained. She was terrified, but the head of Freshman English just told her it happens.

Were southern accents part of the issue? I don't think that would work up here as well. :)

Brad from Georgia 22 September 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ana Ng (Post 1053407)
Were southern accents part of the issue? I don't think that would work up here as well. :)

Probably...it WAS the University of Georgia, and the teacher was from Boone, NC.

Roadsterboy 22 September 2009 09:53 PM

I have a vague memory of a local Chicago newscast, when the sports guy was talking about something Bartolo Colon had done, when he was with the White Sox. (Before we go further, I should tell you that his last name is pronounced like "cologne"). He'd struck a bunch of people out, and the graphic they plastered up said....."A Whiff Of Colon".

I can't find a video of it anywhere, so I may be misremembering something.

-RB

htonl 23 September 2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadsterboy (Post 1053883)
I have a vague memory of a local Chicago newscast, when the sports guy was talking about something Bartolo Colon had done, when he was with the White Sox. (Before we go further, I should tell you that his last name is pronounced like "cologne"). He'd struck a bunch of people out, and the graphic they plastered up said....."A Whiff Of Colon".

I can't find a video of it anywhere, so I may be misremembering something.

Maybe you were thinking of this newspaper headline?

Roadsterboy 23 September 2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htonl (Post 1053966)
Maybe you were thinking of this newspaper headline?

That could be it-maybe they mentioned it on a newscast. Didn't think to look at newspaper headlines.

-RB

Not_Done_Living 23 September 2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadsterboy (Post 1053883)
I have a vague memory of a local Chicago newscast, when the sports guy was talking about something Bartolo Colon had done, when he was with the White Sox. (Before we go further, I should tell you that his last name is pronounced like "cologne").
-RB

THIS

I went to school with a guy who's last name was Woolcock. He pronounced it Wilco.
My Son's teach er this year's name is Cockburn and she pronounces it Coburn.

I call BS.

It is what it is. COLON WOOLCOCK and COCKBURN. Get over yourself already.

DadOf3 23 September 2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living (Post 1054028)
THIS

I went to school with a guy who's last name was Woolcock. He pronounced it Wilco.
My Son's teach er this year's name is Cockburn and she pronounces it Coburn.

I call BS.

It is what it is. COLON WOOLCOCK and COCKBURN. Get over yourself already.

Singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn pronounces it Co-burn as well.

The bit where the anchor walks into a telephone pole isn't real - it's a commercial.

bjohn13 23 September 2009 07:44 PM

I have a group of cousins with the last name "Kock". They pronounce it like "cook"m

TrishDaDish 19 November 2010 09:37 PM

Hyacinth Bouquet. That's spelt B-U-C-K-E-T. Yes, I know it's spelt 'Bucket', but I assure you, it's pronounced 'Bouquet'!

Four Kitties 19 November 2010 09:39 PM

"Had a friend who spelled his name H-e-n-3-r-y ... the three was silent...."

Four Kitties

annabohly 19 November 2010 10:09 PM

In Fairbanks there is a restaurant called the Royal Fork. Well for some reason I could never pronounce Fork right.

Lainie 20 November 2010 12:29 AM

Choosing to pronounce one's last name as one's family has always done, or in the manner traditional to one's first language, is not being full of oneself.

Deciding for yourself how other people's names should be pronounced might be.

Lainie 20 November 2010 12:54 AM

I think "keep on f***ing the chicken" guy was aiming for a Perdue chicken joke -- their slogan is something like "takes a tough man to make a tender chicken," and he was clearly riffing on that. I don't know why he was riffing on that, and of course jokes are supposed to be funny. . .

Quote:

Fox News's Shepard Smith clearly doesn't like his colleague Jonathan Hunt very much.
Or perhaps he likes Mr. Smith very much. :D

How old was the "black fags [flags]" clip? The clothes and hair look very 80s, but there's a teaser caption for a story on the 2005 Grand Prix. :confused: Maybe it's pulled from a bleepers show?

The expression on the face of the woman who called her husband an arsehole is priceless. I'm reminded of a story a few years ago, where a newscaster was in the bathroom carping about her sister's awful husband and didn't realize her mic was open until somebody came in and told her.

kanazawa 20 November 2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four Kitties (Post 1352054)
"Had a friend who spelled his name H-e-n-3-r-y ... the three was silent...."

Four Kitties

I had a friend who wrote her name as "194". It's pronounced "Ikuyo" in Japanese.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.