snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Wild Kingdom (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Labradoodle creator laments designer dog craze (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=88600)

TallGeekyGirl 07 February 2014 03:41 PM

Labradoodle creator laments designer dog craze

Quote:

"I've done a lot of damage," Conron told The Associated Press this week by phone from his home in Australia. "I've created a lot of problems."
http://news.yahoo.com/labradoodle-cr...200136045.html

Ryda Wong, EBfCo. 07 February 2014 04:47 PM

The Doodle craze is one of my pet peeves. I have rarely met a Labradoodle that isn't insanely hyperactive, clumsy, and, frankly, stupid. They also have an unfortunate tendency to stink to high heaven. But, still, idiots shell out thousands of dollars for them.

Cervus 07 February 2014 08:45 PM

I refuse to refer to dogs by "designer" names. I reluctantly accept Labradoodle and Cockapoo but anything else gets entered in my client database as breed/breed mix. I do not have time, interest, or patience to figure out what a "Shorkie" or "Cavachon" is. Your dog is a mixed breed. Deal with it.

GenYus234 07 February 2014 08:53 PM

I'll have you know my PBGVGSD is of only the purest stock! :mad:

ETA: Though I could see why you wouldn't want to record the breed name of a cross between a Bulldog and a Shih Tzu.

LadyLockeout 07 February 2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervus (Post 1800744)
Your dog is a mutt. Deal with it.

Fixed that for you ;)

overyonder 07 February 2014 08:59 PM

The thing is, new breeds are created by mixing breeds (2 or more). So it's a bit of a so-so proposition to do it.

e.g.: the South-Carolina Boykin Spaniel dog, developed from a mix of breed stock, which is a pretty young breed.

OY

Ryda Wong, EBfCo. 07 February 2014 09:06 PM

Yes, OY, that is correct. But "Shorkies," "Cavachons," "Labradoodles," and "Cockapoos" aren't actual breeds that breed true. And, with the exception of the Labradoodle, they weren't mixed with the purpose to create a new breed. They were mixed because people are stupid and will pay big money for the latest thing.

mags 07 February 2014 09:18 PM

Yeah, they're almost always bitches that should have been spayed, but weren't, got out of the yard and bred with whoever, then a cutesy name is put on it so the puppies can be sold for $200 or more rather than "free to a good home."

For me, "designer" dog breeds are more of a boon to backyard breeding than anything else could be. Because they don't even need to attempt to stick with a breed, just brand the puppies with whatever cutesy hybrid name the puppies kind of look like. Truly anyone can breed any dogs and someone will be willing to pay for the puppies if they can be the first on their block with a puggle or shitz-dane* or something.

*ok, I just made that up, and I'm oddly pleased by the idea of having a dog whose "breed" is only non-offensive when written rather than spoken.

overyonder 07 February 2014 09:21 PM

I'm ambivalent on the subject. Get what you please. But I sure wouldn't pay $1,500 for a labradoodle.

I've bought a pure-bred Aussie shepherd for $125 a few year back... My current 2 Aussies are "second-hand" dogs and I'm quite happy with them, thanks :)

OY

Ryda Wong, EBfCo. 07 February 2014 09:26 PM

I'm not ambivalent because of my work in rescue. "Get what you please" often equals "patronizing irresponsible breeders" and, eventually, "increasing the population of shelter dogs."

I have no beef with truly responsible breeders who health test their breeding dogs, title or work their dogs, have spay/neuter and return-to-breeder clauses in their contracts, carefully screen buyers, and act as lifelong sources of expert information for their buyers.

Anyone else? You are my enemy.

Magdalene 07 February 2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overyonder (Post 1800782)
But I sure wouldn't pay $1,500 for a labradoodle.

This is one of my irritations with how stupid people are. They part with good money for a dog that, like as not, could be found at a rescue shelter (only it would be classified as a mutt or a mixed breed).

Wanna know the adoption fee I paid for my (ebil) purebred greyhounds, whose lineages could be traced back to the 1700s and one of whom (Summer, now passed) was a proven winner at the racetrack? $125 each. And that included their spaying, first dental cleaning, and first round of shots. (The fee has since gone up to $175, but I'd still be getting a purebred dog with known temperaments/health issues.)

We did briefly have a 'cockapoo' when I was a kid, but that was long before the designer dog craze. It was an 'oops' litter, the owner of the mama dog charged $25 bucks a pup to help cover the medical costs. I don't think it ever occured to him that it was anything other than, "Crud, neighbor dog got to mine and now there's pups to find homes for."

If I met a mutt I loved (and we had several when I was a kid, all good dogs), I'd pay an adoption fee, but it sure's hell wouldn't be more than what I paid for a known purebred.

Magdalene

overyonder 07 February 2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. (Post 1800787)
I'm not ambivalent because of my work in rescue. "Get what you please" often equals "patronizing irresponsible breeders" and, eventually, "increasing the population of shelter dogs."

Agreed, but any "real" breed or "fashionable" breed will have its share of irresponsible breeders.

I paid $0 for my 2 idiots, err, Aussies (It's a term of endearment, I promise!), because I flew up to KY, rented a car one-way, and drove them back to SC. They gave me a break on the adoption costs because of my other costs to get them.

OY

ganzfeld 07 February 2014 11:47 PM

Easy solution: Stop having breeds.

Dasla 08 February 2014 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overyonder (Post 1800803)
I paid $0 for my 2 idiots, err, Aussies (It's a term of endearment, I promise!), OY

What have we ever done too you? ;)
From the article

Quote:

He was working as the puppy-breeding manager at the Royal Guide Dog Association of Australia when he tried to fulfill a request from a couple in Hawaii.
I did know the history of the breed but why did a Hawaiian couple want one from the Australian organisation? Was one an Aussie? (not a dog a person.

I remember reading in a "chick lit" book were one of the charactors wanted a labradoodle because "they look just like a labrador but poodle sized" (I am pretty sure she meant minature poodle)

1. No they aren't (minature) poodle sized, they are taller then the average lab.
2. They don't look like a lab they look like a labradoodle
3. They weren't breed for the cuteness factor.

It was fiction but I think that it reprensents the sort of igorance out there.

Dear Babby 08 February 2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasla (Post 1800849)
What have we ever done too you? ;)
From the article

I did know the history of the breed but why did a Hawaiian couple want one from the Australian organisation? Was one an Aussie? (not a dog a person.)

I can answer that! I had a roommate back then here in Hawaii who had a guide dog. When people in Hawaii want a guide dog, they go to Australia for training and to bring back their dogs. Like Australia, Hawaii is rabies-free. Animals coming to Hawaii from the US mainland have to go through quarantine and those coming from Australia do not. (The rules have relaxed a little since the 80s. Now dogs can come from the US mainland without quarantine if strict rules re vaccination, etc are followed.)

When I read this story, I wanted to say, "Hey I know those people!" but I thought that would sound irrelevant until the excuse of your question.

My roommate had quite a network of blind people, some of them already with guide dogs. I remember clearly roomie saying. "Now Pat can get a guide dog! It's called a labradoodle and since it's half-poodle, her husband won't be allergic." I don't remember having any idea at the time that that was a new development just for her.

Sylvanz 08 February 2014 05:35 AM

Years ago when our beloved Peke died. I looked in the paper and at the shelters for another Pekingese. We were not well off and all the shelters had were German Shepard/Labrodor mixes. I wanted a small dog, and preferably a Peke or Peke mix. I found one a Pekingese Shitzu (I think) mix. I called the number and the woman said she wanted $850.00 for it. I asked her to repeat the number and she did. I asked her how on earth she could ask that much money for a mutt. She got really offended and told me that the sire and damn were pedigreed blah blah blah. To which I replied: "And that makes the puppies mutts which are really cute, I'm sure, but not worth $850.00". DH got all embarassed but he wasn't on the phone with her and what I said was the truth. That was the first time I'd heard of this phenomenon.

Sylvanz 08 February 2014 05:45 AM

Sorry about the double post, but I thought of a question that is a bit of a hi-jack, but related. Why is a standard Poodle unsuitable without "designer" breeding as a guide dog? I have been around quite a few toys and while a bit yappy as small dogs often are they are very loyal, and very smart. I have seen a few standard poodles and they seem pretty quiet and ummm dignified in temperment. They look dignified too when they aren't sporting the more outrageous show clips, but that's another argument all together.

Oh, and as for the people aren't allergic to poodles thing. The last I knew allergists test for poodles in a different patch than for dogs in general. People can be and are allergic to poodles as well as other breeds.

Dasla 08 February 2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dear Babby (Post 1800867)
I can answer that! I had a roommate back then here in Hawaii who had a guide dog. When people in Hawaii want a guide dog, they go to Australia for training and to bring back their dogs. Like Australia, Hawaii is rabies-free.

Thanks for that. I remember reading about the development of the breed years ago and how it was for one specfic client. I didn't realise they were in Hawaii. Or if I did I have forgotten. That is interesting that they were friends or yours (or mates because of the Australian conection)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylvanz (Post 1800873)
Sorry about the double post, but I thought of a question that is a bit of a hi-jack, but related. Why is a standard Poodle unsuitable without "designer" breeding as a guide dog? I have been around quite a few toys and while a bit yappy as small dogs often are they are very loyal, and very smart. I have seen a few standard poodles and they seem pretty quiet and ummm dignified in temperment. They look dignified too when they aren't sporting the more outrageous show clips, but that's another argument all together.

Oh, and as for the people aren't allergic to poodles thing. The last I knew allergists test for poodles in a different patch than for dogs in general. People can be and are allergic to poodles as well as other breeds.

I have no idea to your first question, tradition maybe, people more likely to except the breed as guide dogs. I have heard standard poodles are the most intelligent of the dog breeds with labs at third most intelligent or there abouts. Nature maybe, labs are real people dogs and just love being with their owner 24/7 if possible so maybe that.

As for the second question, isn't poodle hair considered wool, and wool allergies are less likely? or they aren't likely to be allergic to both so if they are allergic to poodle wool the standard lab is ok but if the are allergic to dogs, are an alternative

RichardM 08 February 2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. (Post 1800684)
The Doodle craze is one of my pet peeves. I have rarely met a Labradoodle that isn't insanely hyperactive, clumsy, and, frankly, stupid. They also have an unfortunate tendency to stink to high heaven. But, still, idiots shell out thousands of dollars for them.

Grumble, grumble. I'll have you know our doodle grew out of her hyperactivity. Well mostly, she still will tear around the backyard at warp speed. And as for clumsy, well you should have seen her yesterday when she tried to stop on the ice. It could have been bad as she was running towards me. I got down low enough to mostly catch her and not get knocked down myself. But, she really is smart, even smarter than our Aussie.

And you are right, some idiot spent lots of money for her. It wasn't me though. We found her at about 6 months old running down the street after a storm. A real rescue. :)

mags 08 February 2014 02:57 PM

I know it is purely anecdotal, but my father was a mail carrier for almost 40 years, and the only dog that ever bit him was a standard poodle.

In my experience, Labradors have been among the most laid back and friendly (to strangers) dogs, especially in that size range.