snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Language (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The cake is a lie (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=45627)

snopes 08 May 2009 05:13 PM

The cake is a lie
 
Comment: Last year the popular game "Portal" was released for PC and X-Box
360. One of the recurring themes in the game is that the promise of cake
is used to motivate the protagonist to complete tasks in each level. Late
in the game the protagonist sees writing on the walls in various parts of
the game saying "The Cake is a Lie!!" Since then this phrase has become
very popular among gamers.

Recently, I found this article on urbandictionary.com:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...+cake+is+a+lie

One of the definitions seems to indicate that the origin of "the cake is a
lie" has its roots in child pornography. The suggestion is that people
would be "fooled" into opening a picture thinking that it was child
pornography only to find out that it contained some other image as a
"prank," similar to a "Rick Roll." Upon discovery of the prank, the users
would type the message "the cake is a lie" in the comments to warn other
users.

I was wondering if there is any truth to this. It's disturbing to me that
a phrase that has its roots in child pornography was popularized in a
mainstream video game. My instinct is to think that it's not true, but I
can't find any references either way (in support or denial) other than the
above article.

Richard W 08 May 2009 05:25 PM

Even if the unlikely story (which looks like a troll of Urban Dictionary to me) is true, the phrase still doesn't really "have its roots in child pornography", as it's nothing to do with child porn. It would apply equally well to any situation where the promised reward was false, and it does seem to have been popularised by the game in question.

You could pick any random phrase and say "OMG this phrase was first used by paedophiles!" and it would make just as much sense.

AnglRdr 08 May 2009 05:33 PM

I was actually just thinking about starting a thread about the origin of various internet-based memes. "The cake is a lie" was one of them, as was "I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter."

Seaboe Muffinchucker 08 May 2009 05:39 PM

I always thought "the cake is a lie" was inspired by "never jam today" in Alice in Wonderland.

Seaboe

BringTheNoise 08 May 2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 949218)
"I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter."

Isn't that from The Simpsons?

diddy 08 May 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringTheNoise (Post 949227)
Isn't that from The Simpsons?

yes it is.

Mr. Billion 09 May 2009 06:57 AM

Half of all Internet memes originated in The Simpsons.

Flagg 09 May 2009 03:36 PM

And the other half come from /b/.

Johnny Slick 09 May 2009 04:09 PM

Yeah, this is pretty straightforward. The disembodied voice constantly promises cake, and you know of course that you're playing a video game and therefore will never get cake, and when they say "the cake is a lie" then it si teh foony.

On a related note, I am attempting to create my own Internet meme. Basically, when you catch somebody doing something wrong, you type BLOOOOOOOPER. If I am lucky enough, perhaps someday it too will be linked to pedophilia.

Lachrymose 09 May 2009 05:13 PM

Forced meme is forced. :p

NorthernLite 14 May 2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Slick (Post 949827)
Yeah, this is pretty straightforward. The disembodied voice constantly promises cake, and you know of course that you're playing a video game and therefore will never get cake, and when they say "the cake is a lie" then it si teh foony.

On a related note, I am attempting to create my own Internet meme. Basically, when you catch somebody doing something wrong, you type BLOOOOOOOPER. If I am lucky enough, perhaps someday it too will be linked to pedophilia.

Will I get cake if I help propogate this meme?

Tarquin Farquart 14 May 2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Billion (Post 949735)
Half of all Internet memes originated in The Simpsons.

And I for one, salute our Simpsons overlords.

Meh.

Nonny Mouse 14 May 2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernLite (Post 953092)
Will I get cake if I help propogate this meme?

If he said yes, would you believe him?

Stoneage Dinosaur 14 May 2009 08:45 PM

Do people complain about Simpsons memes not being as good as they used to be?

AniMajor 14 May 2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lachrymose (Post 949844)
Forced meme is forced. :p

Johnny Slick in my memes? It's more likely than you think.

Nick Theodorakis 14 May 2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneage Dinosaur (Post 953131)
Do people complain about Simpsons memes not being as good as they used to be?

Worst. Meme. Ever.

Nick

A Turtle Named Mack 14 May 2009 11:01 PM

At least the game is not constantly repeating references to "Lemon Party" thereby inducing people to look it up.

Johnny Slick 15 May 2009 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernLite (Post 953092)
Will I get cake if I help propogate this meme?

The cake is not a lie oh wait it is BLOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEER

Tarquin Farquart 15 May 2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 953340)
At least the game is not constantly repeating references to "Lemon Party" thereby inducing people to look it up.

Luckily I knew what Lemon Party is, so I didn't need to look it up.

DevilBunny 17 May 2009 07:42 PM

I just lost the game...


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.