snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Techno-Babble (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New computer sees flash drive as local hard drive (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=89765)

TallGeekyGirl 24 June 2014 03:46 AM

New computer sees flash drive as local hard drive

This is a weird one...

I got a new computer, Win7 64 bit. For some reason, it's recognizing my 64Gb flash drive as a local hard dive rather than a removable storage device.

I've done some preliminary Googling about this, and haven't yet found a fix for it. It's not really a big deal, as the flash drive still works and my synch software recognizes it and synchronizes correctly. Since there is no option to 'safely remove hardware,' though, I'm concerned about file corruption.

Has anyone heard about this or know a fix for it?

Crius of CoH 24 June 2014 11:05 AM

I'm at work on a creaky old (now unsupported!) WinXP doorstop, but when I get home for lunch I'll see what my Win7 64-bit rig says. I know I get the "safely remove" option, and -oooh, scary fun! - so does the C: drive, since it's a SSD. I am, obviously, VERY careful about what I click on when I want to safely remove my flash drive.... :eek:

UEL 24 June 2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl (Post 1829062)
This is a weird one...

I got a new computer, Win7 64 bit. For some reason, it's recognizing my 64Gb flash drive as a local hard dive rather than a removable storage device.

I've done some preliminary Googling about this, and haven't yet found a fix for it. It's not really a big deal, as the flash drive still works and my synch software recognizes it and synchronizes correctly. Since there is no option to 'safely remove hardware,' though, I'm concerned about file corruption.

Has anyone heard about this or know a fix for it?

I have a drive like that. For some applications I have, I am unable to save to hard drives, and can only save to removable media. And I have to be careful which drive I grab, as I might very well grab this specific one that thinks it is a hard drive.

I have had this one for years and don't have a solution for you. :confused:

Not_Done_Living 24 June 2014 04:29 PM

wait 30 seconds before you pull the device and don't worry about it.

the write cache should have completed.
have never had data corruption with a pc -- only with a camera.

GaryM 24 June 2014 04:52 PM

You could disable write-caching for that drive.

Drakkon 24 June 2014 05:03 PM

What file system is it formatted in. I have seen drives formatted in NTFS show up that way.

Crius of CoH 24 June 2014 05:08 PM

Tried it at lunch with my home PC; flash drive shows up as "removable storage",with all the appropriate options. Sorry; I'm of no help.

TallGeekyGirl 24 June 2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakkon (Post 1829165)
What file system is it formatted in. I have seen drives formatted in NTFS show up that way.

I haven't looked. My previous computer, Vista 64-bit, read it as a flash drive. Win7 is showing it as a local hard drive. It shows other flash drives as removable storage.

I'm in the IT field, and I've never seen this. It's confounding? :confused:

TallGeekyGirl 26 June 2014 03:41 PM

After Googling and searching and head scratching and talking with other folks in the IT department where I work... we're all kinda stumped. I found some apps that supposedly fix the problem, but I'm wary of downloading apps that I know very little about. So, unwilling to try uncertain apps or formatting the drive, I was sorta stuck.

Then I plugged in the flash drive to a USB port on another part of the computer and... it worked. :confused:

So... the USB ports on the front of the computer read the flash drive as a local hard drive. The ports on TOP of the computer read it properly as a removable USB drive.

What's the difference?

The front ports are USB 3, the top ports are USB 2.

There must be some compatibility issue with my flash drive when put into a USB 3 port. Although I don't know how to fix that, I do have ports that work with the drive, so I'm happy now.

Crius of CoH 26 June 2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl (Post 1829587)
The front ports are USB 3, the top ports are USB 2.

There must be some compatibility issue with my flash drive when put into a USB 3 port. Although I don't know how to fix that, I do have ports that work with the drive, so I'm happy now.

Oooh. I'll have to check that out. I have two USB 3 ports, but they're on the back of the box. I'll see if there's a difference between those and the USB 2 ports on the front. I'd forgotten about them, because I was using them for the keyboard/mouse inputs.