snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Business Bytes (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   WalMart stops selling firearms? (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=83902)

snopes 16 January 2013 12:35 AM

WalMart stops selling firearms?

Comment: Is Walmart not replenishing stock on firearms and/or ammo? Rumor
has it that all stores will not reorder and will no longer sell
firearms/ammo.

E. Q. Taft 17 January 2013 04:35 PM

Walmart’s On-Again, Off-Again Relationship with Guns

http://business.time.com/2013/01/11/...hip-with-guns/

Doesn't sound like they're making any immediate changes. This article talks about a petition to ask them to stop selling assault weapons, which doens't make it sound like they're getting rid of the rest of their stock.

Horse Chestnut 17 January 2013 05:37 PM

If you search "run on guns" or "run on ammo", you'll find several news articles stating that guns and ammo are selling out at most stores, supposedly because people fear that the president is going to take their guns away. So I wouldn't be surprised to walk into a Wal-Mart and find that the shelves were emptied of guns. And since all the other stores are selling out too, ordering more must be a problem right now.

ToadMagnet 17 January 2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut (Post 1704288)
So I wouldn't be surprised to walk into a Wal-Mart and find that the shelves were emptied of guns.

Emptied shelves/racks means, of course, that Obama had the UN seize all the guns in Wal-Marts across the country, and has somehow forbidden them to re-order stock.

electricitycat 18 January 2013 02:14 AM

Wow. I had no idea you could buy guns and ammo at supermarkets in the US. You learn something new every day.

lord_feldon 18 January 2013 02:18 AM

Walmart is a chain of department stores. A large (and growing) number of them have grocery departments in addition to all the other stuff, but most of the stuff in those stores is still stuff you wouldn't find in a normal supermarket.

Lainie 18 January 2013 01:40 PM

And other stores of the same type, like Target and the few Kmarts that remain, do not sell guns or ammo, AFAIK.

Don Enrico 18 January 2013 02:19 PM

Supermarket, department store - it's still strange to most Non-Americans.

In Germany, if you want to buy a gun, you have to go to a dedicated gun shop. There you must of course prove that you are licensed to own a gun. You are licensed by the gouvernment, and only if you can prove a need (basicall, you're a licensed hunter or a sport shooter; professionals using weapons - police, security - will get the gun through their employer).

You are than only allowed to carry the gun between your house and the shooting range or the area where you go for hunting. The gun has to be un-armed and secured during transport.

Dropping into a department store and buying an assault rifle and lots of ammunition just for the heck of it is a very foreign concept to me.

Lainie 18 January 2013 02:49 PM

It was strange to me before I knew about Wal-Mart. I imagine a lot of other Americans had the same experience. As I said above, other stores of that type do not sell guns or ammo.

ETA: Has Wal-Mart really sold assault weapons? I didn't know that. That would have shocked me even more.

Nick Theodorakis 18 January 2013 02:50 PM

Wal-Mart, as others have pointed out, was a department store before it started selling groceries. Historically, Wal-Marts were mainly sited in rural areas and were likely the only major store in a large area, so it made sense for them to sell hunting (and fishing) supplies.

Nick

GenYus234 18 January 2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1704621)
ETA: Has Wal-Mart really sold assault weapons? I didn't know that. That would have shocked me even more.

If you are going by the 1994 definition, they still do (but they show out of stock in the stores around here). Wal-Mart shows this item on their website. It accepts a detachable magazine, has pistol grips and a flash suppressor. Those three are enough to make it an assualt weapon under the 1994 rules. It might also have a telescoping stock, which is another qualifying trait.