snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   [Indiana] Sen. Dennis Kruse files bill that would allow schools to require prayer (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=83710)

Nick Theodorakis 04 January 2013 03:51 PM

[Indiana] Sen. Dennis Kruse files bill that would allow schools to require prayer

Quote:

The chairman of the Senate education committee, who last year unsuccessfully sought the teaching of creationism in schools, now wants public schools to have the option of beginning each day with the Lord’s Prayer.

Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn, has filed a bill that would allow school districts to require the recitation of the Lord’s Prayer, though individual students could opt out if they or their parents preferred. ...
http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...-Lord-s-Prayer

Fortunately, even in this Republican-led and -controlled state legislature this bill seems to be fast-tracked to the graveyard.

Nick

crocoduck_hunter 04 January 2013 05:27 PM

If only his career would follow.

snopes 04 January 2013 05:29 PM

What happens when we put mandatory prayer back into schools, but people still go shoot up schools? Then what will we blame it on?

wanderwoman 04 January 2013 05:30 PM

Our legislators are so worth their pay in Indiana. When they are not spending time drafting laws that are blatantly unconstitutional, they are spending their time trying to make gay marriage more illegal than it already is.:rolleyes:

crocoduck_hunter 04 January 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 1699267)
What happens when we put mandatory prayer back into schools, but people still go shoot up schools? Then what will we blame it on?

Gay people, Muslims, atheists, Communists...

Gay atheist Communist Muslims.

Dr. Dave 04 January 2013 05:42 PM

So, you mean the president then?

Esprise Me 04 January 2013 08:40 PM

Atheist Muslims have a lot of internal conflict to take out on the world...

TurquoiseGirl 04 January 2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1699275)
Gay people, Muslims, atheists, Communists...

Gay atheist Communist Muslims.

Also feminists who have Destroyed Our Families™

DawnStorm 04 January 2013 10:37 PM

Seriously, what is the big deal about prayer in school? :confused: For the life of me, I cannot figure out how prayer in school would prevent atrocities such as Sandy Hook.
If g-you want to pray, you can do that before you leave for class.

Chloe 04 January 2013 10:41 PM

Or quietly in class, if you want. Just don't make anyone else join in.

Swordmaster 04 January 2013 11:31 PM

Isn't prayer suppose to be a private thing anyway? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Lainie 04 January 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thine inner chamber, and having shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret shall recompense thee.
Matthew 6:6, American Standard Version

Also, I can't imagine how anyone could possibly prevent anyone else from praying silently.

Sue 04 January 2013 11:41 PM

Many of our schools provide a place to pray for Muslim students. I don't know if there is any equivalent place provided for students of other faiths. I would assume that's because AFAIK there is no requirement to pray at specific times for Christians and presumably other religions as well.

Richard W 04 January 2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

People without guns, same as now.

Esprise Me 05 January 2013 12:00 AM

At my high school, there was no shortage of opportunities to pray, for those inclined to do so. We had seven minutes passing period between each class, a fifteen-minute recess, and a forty-five-minute lunch. The school policy on tests and quizzes was that, after you turned yours in, you could do whatever you liked as long as you remained in your seat and were quiet; most people had at least one test per week between all their classes, and most people finished with plenty of time to spare.

Strangely, though, even though I went to school in a heavily evangelical area, I only ever saw people praying right before a test...

Jay Temple 05 January 2013 12:30 AM

Do state legislators take an oath to uphold the Constitution?

I've said for years that when the SCOTUS overturns a law because it violates people's Constitutional rights, anyone who voted for it should be thrown out of office and barred from holding office again, just like officers of the Confederacy. Granted, it wouldn't apply here, since it looks like it's going to fail.

lord_feldon 05 January 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Temple (Post 1699466)
Do state legislators take an oath to uphold the Constitution?

Yes, the Constitution requires it:

Quote:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution

Ramblin' Dave 05 January 2013 09:16 AM

That, perhaps, is why so many righties harp on the fact that the exact words "separation of church and state" don't appear in the Constitution.

Zorro 05 January 2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

People who aren't praying hard enough?

Also, I can attest that there is definitely prayer in the schools already: "Oh, Lord, PLEASE let me pass this test!":lol:

smittykins 05 January 2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 1699550)
People who aren't praying hard enough?

Also, I can attest that there is definitely prayer in the schools already: "Oh, Lord, PLEASE let me pass this test!":lol:

Also, for those of us in snow-prone areas: "Please, God, let us go home early!" :lol:

smitty"not that *I* ever prayed that"kins