snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Old Wives' Tales (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Crying left and right (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=71167)

snopes 10 March 2011 06:37 AM

Crying left and right

Comment: Is it true that when you cry, if the first tear comes from your
right eye, it's a sign of happiness, and ifs from the left eye, it's a
sign of sadness?

marrya 10 March 2011 07:35 AM

Unless you're left handed?

candy from strangers 10 March 2011 03:46 PM

Whether I am slightly sad*, very happy, touched/moved by something, overwhelmed with animal cuteness or laughing very hard it is always my right eye that one tear falls from.

*Because if I'm super-sad I will cry multiple tears

Cervus 10 March 2011 05:15 PM

I think this only happens in Hollywood, where people can slowly drip one tear at a time and not have their eyes or face become all red.

MapleLeaf 11 March 2011 04:54 PM

My left eye is the leaky one. When I cry I don't really notice which eye it starts in. But when I'm sick it's always the left eye that won't stop watering.

Mad Jay 11 March 2011 05:02 PM

I shed a quiet lone tear once in a blue moon. Not all crying has to be accompanied with red-face/red-eyes/etc. Sometimes I just remember something in the past that makes me misty-eyed, and I shed a quick tear or two. Actually, it's rarer for me to sob than to cry. Not all crying has to be theatrical. Some people just cry quietly

No idea which eye the tears start from!

DawnStorm 12 March 2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervus (Post 1423298)
I think this only happens in Hollywood, where people can slowly drip one tear at a time and not have their eyes or face become all red.

And for women, no runny mascara.

Morwen Edhelwen 28 April 2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1424594)

Quote:

Whether I am slightly sad*, very happy, touched/moved by something, overwhelmed with animal cuteness or laughing very hard it is always my right eye that one tear falls from.

*Because if I'm super-sad I will cry multiple tears
My eyes always get blurry just before I cry, which is the reason why I hate crying so much.

Richard W 28 April 2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marrya (Post 1423020)
Unless you're left handed?

In New Zealand it all happens anti-clockwise anyway. If you're happy then the tears go back in to your left eye, and if you're sad they go back in to your right eye.

Avril 28 April 2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervus (Post 1423298)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1424594)

I may not be a real person, then, because I am a fabulous crier. I can cry slowly, one tear at a time, and my mascara will almost never run (although I do cry harder (faster?) at times, obviously). If I wipe away the tears, there will be no evidence, really, regardless of how long or hard I've been crying. I do not get a red and/or puffy face.

Morwen Edhelwen 30 April 2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1732665)
I may not be a real person, then, because I am a fabulous crier. I can cry slowly, one tear at a time, and my mascara will almost never run (although I do cry harder (faster?) at times, obviously). If I wipe away the tears, there will be no evidence, really, regardless of how long or hard I've been crying. I do not get a red and/or puffy face.

Avril, I'm jealous :) When I cry, it's obvious I've been crying.

moonfall 01 May 2013 07:38 AM

Crying while wearing glasses generally results in having to clean the lenses afterward. It's not fun when wearing contacts, either.

The version of this rumor I heard was which corner of the eye you're crying from, not which eye.

Lainie 01 May 2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1732665)

That's awesome. I've seen Hollywood actresses who don't cry pretty.

ganzfeld 01 May 2013 02:40 PM

About the OP, the Ottawa Skeptics covered this question in a recent podcast. They asked a world-famous tear researcher about it. Surprisingly, they not only got an answer but he decided to look into it by doing a little direct observation experiments. Less surprisingly, he found no truth to the notion.

Their podcast is called The Reality Check. (It's great for Snopes spotting, too!)
http://www.trcpodcast.com/trc-236-cr...orbs-napoleon/

Mad Jay 01 May 2013 03:48 PM

Whoa! holy zombie ressurection, batman!. People are responding to comments made more than 2 years ago. It's pretty likely many views have changed by now.