snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   We've Got Mail (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Death by punctuation (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4624)

snopes 02 January 2007 10:31 AM

Death by punctuation
 
Comment: not either but an e-mail from canada that states that "Life is Beautiful" is a virius????????????? true not true????

snopes 08 March 2007 12:05 AM

Death by punctuation
 
Comment: am in a debate and the issue is ....the seperation of church and
state...........................i can not find it the constitution, bill
of rights ..or any of the ammendments.....................please let me
know...............

Canuckistan 08 March 2007 03:48 AM

Okay.

God hates your punctuation.

So does Congress.

Happy?

Dropbear 08 March 2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 88748)
Comment: am in a debate and the issue is ....the seperation of church and
state...........................i can not find it the constitution, bill
of rights ..or any of the ammendments.....................please let me
know...............

..............after that................please..............pass me................my heart................medic.............ation...... ...........uuuurgh.

Dropbear

HollowMan 08 March 2007 04:18 AM

Its in - .... . / ..-. .. .-. ... - / .- -- . -. -.. -- . -. - .-.-.-

ButterscotchCat 08 March 2007 04:50 AM

don't the . . . . stand for missing words? What are the missing words?

Victoria J 08 March 2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollowMan (Post 89008)
Its in - .... . / ..-. .. .-. ... - / .- -- . -. -.. -- . -. - .-.-.-

:lol:

Did anyone else have to find a translator ? I kept running the letters together when I tried to do it myself.

.. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / - . .-.. .-.. / - .... . / -.. .. ..-. ..-. . .-. . -. -.-. . / -... . - .-- . . -. / - .... .. ... / .- -. -.. / -- -.-- / -. --- .-. -- .- .-.. / .--. ..- -. -.-. - ..- .- - .. --- -. / ... - -.-- .-.. .

Victoria - elipsis - J

snopes 06 July 2007 06:33 AM

Comment: THERE IS NO OTHER WAY BUT TO REPLY!!!! YOU SENT ME MY PASSWORD___ BUT
THEY SAY NO SUCH PERSON LISTED??????? I TRYED EVERYTHING AT ADDRESS YOU
SENT ME---BUT NO LUCK???? HELP!!!!!

Duckie Queen 06 July 2007 03:05 PM

A woman I'm working on a project for always writes ... between some of her words and sentences. It is really starting to annoy me because it feels like she is pausing whilst patting me on the head because I obviously can't read a whole sentence straight through. If I could dump the project I would. Grrr. Woman needs to learn email etiquette.:mad:

Penguin 06 July 2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckie Queen (Post 238950)
A woman I'm working on a project for always writes ... between some of her words and sentences. It is really starting to annoy me because it feels like she is pausing whilst patting me on the head because I obviously can't read a whole sentence straight through. If I could dump the project I would. Grrr. Woman needs to learn email etiquette.:mad:

... good patient Duckie ... read whole phrases ... like a big girl.... don't hit... isn't nice...


Got it
:fish:

Gg83 07 July 2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckie Queen (Post 238950)
A woman I'm working on a project for always writes ... between some of her words and sentences. It is really starting to annoy me because it feels like she is pausing whilst patting me on the head because I obviously can't read a whole sentence straight through. If I could dump the project I would. Grrr. Woman needs to learn email etiquette.:mad:

Her name isn't J. K. Rowling by any chance, is it?

Okay, first a preemptive self-troutting: :fish:

I do love the Harry Potter books, but I've been rereading Goblet of Fire, and the woman can add unnecessary ellipses like nobody's business. It got so bad during the first task that I was considering typing it it up and eliminating every ellipsis and quite a few of the dashes (replacing them with other punctuation as necessary), just to see if the passage would flow better. It felt to me like she was trailing off...all the time....

snopes 24 November 2007 04:32 AM

Comment: as-i am on your site-i cannot immediately send-you the email-i
just received. However-i would like to foward-the very
phoney-request-so-as -you might-want to warn-others - i will be sending
this mail to you-and i would appreciate-greatly-if you would-get back to
me-as soon as is possible-i veiwed this as -a phishing
scheme-thankyou,you will be receiving,my forwarded mail-in a
matter of minutes-

lord_feldon 24 November 2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 412790)
Comment: as-i am on your site-i cannot immediately send-you the email-i
just received. However-i would like to foward-the very
phoney-request-so-as -you might-want to warn-others - i will be sending
this mail to you-and i would appreciate-greatly-if you would-get back to
me-as soon as is possible-i veiwed this as -a phishing
scheme-thankyou,you will be receiving,my forwarded mail-in a
matter of minutes-

Really- i'm so-pleased, to- hear-that.

snopes 15 February 2008 05:26 AM

Comment: In 1967, My grand-father was in his local bar, on Long
Island,N.Y., and over-heard a very "Drunk" Air-Force Major- State " How
could a inexperience Isreal Air-Force be able to "completely" destroy the
"entire" "Egypt" Air-Force on the ground, in one day".

The United states Government "Secretly" provided American "Navigators" to
the Isreal Air-Force , on their Bombing Missions.

A very nice "Cover-up", I must say, I wonder if it was really true.?

Seaboe Muffinchucker 15 February 2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 511635)
Comment: In 1967, My grand-father was in his local bar, on Long Island,N.Y., and over-heard a very "Drunk" Air-Force Major- State " How could a inexperience Isreal Air-Force be able to "completely" destroy the "entire" "Egypt" Air-Force on the ground, in one day".

The United states Government "Secretly" provided American "Navigators" to the Isreal Air-Force , on their Bombing Missions.

A very nice "Cover-up", I must say, I wonder if it was really true.?

I like the conversion of the Major into a Major-State, myself. Very creative. Beats the unnecessary quotes all to heck.

Seaboe

Canuckistan 15 February 2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker (Post 512433)
I like the conversion of the Major into a Major-State, myself. Very creative. Beats the unnecessary quotes all to heck.

I like the .? at the end. Like it was a statement ... or was it? http://message.snopes.com/images/icons/icon500.gif

snopes 12 May 2008 06:08 PM

Comment: Re: "Where Your Taxes Go" and many other entries. Many entries
contain statistics posted in email and those in your investigation of
same. It "seems" to me that the "majority" of your investigations dispute
original statistics, all of which can be twisted with different wording.
All statistics can be "used" in a manner the author, or in your case, the
investigator, chooses to state them. In my "opinion" the investigator
"leans" heavily to the left or liberal view. While I use your site
several time a week, I am more likely to "totally" belive your results in
matters having "no political bias". In potential political references, I
"believe" you often offer an "opinion" and skew the "statistics", using
other "statictics" from other authors but do so each time in a manner that
consistantly "leans left". Just an "opinion" from reading on your site
and using, in this case, "only" above referenced "Where Your Taxes Go".
Neither opinion is proved nor disproved, merely just reading statistics
mentions and interpreting them as desired. No "hard' facts on either
side.

Canuckistan 12 May 2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

In my "opinion"
This is the only thing the emailer got right.

Because by opinion, of course, s/he actually means word salad.

Just Jocko 12 May 2008 10:28 PM

I think someone needs an extended stay at Punctuation Junction to get rid of that nasty case of "quotation marks". :eek:

TurquoiseGirl 12 May 2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 609762)
It "seems" to me that the "majority" of your investigations dispute
original statistics, all of which can be twisted with different wording.
All statistics can be "used" in a manner the author, or in your case, the
investigator, chooses to state them.

I think this might have been from a distant cousin of mine. He use to write the same way. He liked to use quotation marks liberally when he, well, was attacking liberals.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.