snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Fauxtography (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fun with trolleys (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=13248)

Little Galaxy 27 July 2007 11:49 AM

Fun with trolleys

A friend sent me this - the filename was "someonesgoingtoloveworktomorrow":

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...2/trolleys.JPG

I'm not sure whether this is physically possible, but stranger things have been done!

Andrew of Ware 27 July 2007 01:19 PM

Superb! :) I hope it's a real photo, but I am not a Photoshop expert.

I imagine that if you can arrange trolleys like that then it would be possible to 'unarrange' them. I suppose the last trolley was put in the circle and then the spaces between the others was evened out. To undo them I suppose the supermarket would have to scrunch up all the trolleys until one trolley is freed.

Sis 27 July 2007 01:52 PM

Applied Geometry- Robert Wechsler.

About 1/4 of the way down the page.

forcadragons 27 July 2007 02:27 PM

When shopping trolleys are inserted into each other, there is a certain amount of "give", meaning that one trolley is not facing exactly the same direction as the next. Point each trolley to the right of the next and this allows you to bend a long line of trolleys into an arc. There will be a minimum radius that the arc can have limited by the amount of "give". The picture shows a large radius circle, so it's entirely possible, I would say. You just need enough trolleys and insert the front of the last trolley into the back of the first.

Andrew of Ware 27 July 2007 03:16 PM

I have seen workers at supermarkets pushing a long of trolleys and even with straps to keep the trolleys straight they are always bending one way or the other.

Looking at the link in Sis' post, do you think that someone arranged the trolleys in a circle to demonstrate 'applied geometry' or someone just happened to see the photo and think - 'Ah, that's an example of applied geometry.'

Doug4.7 27 July 2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Galaxy (Post 263739)
I'm not sure whether this is physically possible

It is. We did "similar" things when I worked at a grocery store (only not that creative). There is enough slack to make that formation.

Robigus 27 July 2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug4.7 (Post 263917)
It is. We did "similar" things when I worked at a grocery store (only not that creative). There is enough slack to make that formation.

Was that you that did that at the Piggly-Wiggly?:eek:

cubbie 28 July 2007 02:22 AM

I think someone had alittle too much free time at work:D

robbiev 28 July 2007 02:57 AM

I'd definitely agree that it's possible. I've never seen that, but I've seen something similar.

Robbie -I was expecting a picture of a "trolley" not a "shopping basket" - V

Doug4.7 28 July 2007 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robigus (Post 264083)
Was that you that did that at the Piggly-Wiggly?:eek:

No, I was the one who drove his car through the front entrance of our store because I was dared.....

Yes, I at times did not use all of my brain while working in that store..... :fish:

Note, I didn't break anything, they were able to open the doors wide enough to fit my little car in. Lucky for me, no one took photos (before YouTube) and the statute of limitations for that type of stupidity has long expired.

And the company went out of business.

Grand Illusion 30 July 2007 03:02 AM

The ring looks almost perfectly circular to me...not just a closed, rounded shape. If that is real, they took lots of extra time to make it precise.

Troberg 30 July 2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

The ring looks almost perfectly circular to me...not just a closed, rounded shape. If that is real, they took lots of extra time to make it precise.
Not really, assuming they made it close enough to the minimum radius. If there is some tension in the circle, it will even out and become circular.

Troodon 30 July 2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sis (Post 263817)
Applied Geometry- Robert Wechsler.

About 1/4 of the way down the page.

That's a cool web page. I especially like
Quote:

Giant rubber stamps made from artist's pinky and index fingerprints used to make oily, oversized prints around UCSB's campus and other locals.

imjustasteph 01 August 2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiev (Post 264940)
I'd definitely agree that it's possible. I've never seen that, but I've seen something similar.

Robbie -I was expecting a picture of a "trolley" not a "shopping basket" - V

Um, you mean a grocery cart, right?

(Here they call them 'buggies' which to me is an old-fashioned stroller....)

fictionallie 01 August 2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imjustasteph (Post 268973)
Um, you mean a grocery cart, right?

I've also heard them called Shopping Carts, although that would probably be for something that isn't grocery related, such as the carts you might find at wal*mart or other big-box stores. Then again, it's rare (that I've seen) that you would find a metal cart not belonging to a grocery store. All the other ones I've seen are plastic. So judging by that, I'd say you're right - this picture contains grocery carts.

I just call them carts. Maybe I'm an oddball.

Fictional "Always Gets The Cart With The Broken Wheel" Lie

We'veBeenHad 02 August 2007 04:14 AM

Huh. I always called them shopping cart. When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about San Francisco or something :lol: Love the Weschler site, by the way.

I showed my son the OP picture (he works in a grocery store) and he got a kick out of it - said, yeah it's possible, and it would be a lot of fun for the cart guy to have to undo heh.

imjustasteph 06 August 2007 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fictionallie (Post 270015)
I've also heard them called Shopping Carts, although that would probably be for something that isn't grocery related, such as the carts you might find at wal*mart or other big-box stores. Then again, it's rare (that I've seen) that you would find a metal cart not belonging to a grocery store. All the other ones I've seen are plastic. So judging by that, I'd say you're right - this picture contains grocery carts.

I just call them carts. Maybe I'm an oddball.

Fictional "Always Gets The Cart With The Broken Wheel" Lie

Actually the ones in our WalMart would also be grocery carts, because ours is a supercenter, with groceries. But actually, unless I'm speaking with no context clues (ie, I'm not in a store, I haven't mentioned shopping or groceries, etc) and therefore think the listener might mistake my meaning to be, say, go-carts, or horse-carts, or whatever, I just say cart.

callee 07 August 2007 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware (Post 263895)
I have seen workers at supermarkets pushing a long of trolleys and even with straps to keep the trolleys straight they are always bending one way or the other.

Looking at the link in Sis' post, do you think that someone arranged the trolleys in a circle to demonstrate 'applied geometry' or someone just happened to see the photo and think - 'Ah, that's an example of applied geometry.'

Sis' link is the website gallery of the artist - robert wechsler - and these are art projects that he did. Others are listed on that page. the inference is that he himself rearranged the carts/trolleys as an art project, snapped the picture, and titled it "applied geometry."