snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Jim Henson's funeral (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=38993)

snopes 29 November 2008 08:46 AM

Jim Henson's funeral

Comment: Is it true that at Jim Henson's funeral, Kermit the Frog was set
up next to a casket with a sign that read "Help I lost my voice"?

BluesScale 29 November 2008 10:41 AM

I don't know about that but I have always found this tribute touching.

Blues

Altered Statesman 29 November 2008 10:50 AM

Amen, you just made a grown man cry.

Stoneage Dinosaur 29 November 2008 01:57 PM

There are a few online references to this, as well as to a Paul Conrad cartoon (in the LA Times?) the day after Jim Henson's death of Kermit having lost his voice. I can't find the cartoon online, but there is this quite moving comic strip: I still think of you, Jim Henson. There was also a print honouring Mel Blanc after his death: Speechless.

Psihala 29 November 2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Is it true that at Jim Henson's funeral, Kermit the Frog was set
up next to a casket with a sign that read "Help I lost my voice"?
It is possible, I suppose, that Kermit may have been placed at either the funeral service itself, or at one or both subsequent memorial services next to such a sign, but according to this Wiki page, Jim Henson's remains were cremated, so I'm not sure there would have been a casket present.

~Psihala

Mycroft 29 November 2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psihala (Post 812799)
according to this Wiki page, Jim Henson's remains were cremated, so I'm not sure there would have been a casket present.

~Psihala

I don't know US practice, but in the UK there is a memorial/funeral service at the crematorium with the casket present.

LizzyBean 29 November 2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneage Dinosaur (Post 812727)
There was also a print honouring Mel Blanc after his death: Speechless.

I own a print of this. It's one of the most moving things I have ever seen.

I know that Harry Belafonte sang his song "Turn the World Around" at the memorial and Big Bird was there as well. He said something about Mr Henson but I'll be darned if I can remember what now. I do remember it making me cry.

Psihala 30 November 2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyBean (Post 812873)
I know that Harry Belafonte sang his song "Turn the World Around" at the memorial and Big Bird was there as well. He said something about Mr Henson but I'll be darned if I can remember what now. I do remember it making me cry.

One of the first sites that came up when I did my Google search earlier was this one. It seems to have been posted in January 2006, and indicates that at least one of the two memorial services (incorrectly referred to the 'funeral service' here... see below) was recorded and at some point was released on a DVD. Maybe you can still find a copy of it somewhere?

There's also this entry from the Muppet Wiki.

~Psihala

Casey 30 November 2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psihala (Post 812799)
It is possible, I suppose, that Kermit may have been placed at either the funeral service itself, or at one or both subsequent memorial services next to such a sign, but according to this Wiki page, Jim Henson's remains were cremated, so I'm not sure there would have been a casket present.

~Psihala

Two of my grandparents were cremated, and they both had a full funeral with casket. The casket is usually pressboard and contact paper so there's less residue when cremated.

That doesn't say in this case, but it is certainly doable to have a funeral with cremation afterward.

Tootsie Plunkette 30 November 2008 06:01 AM

Here's a New York Times article from the time, describing the memorial service. It's a fairly detailed article, and doesn't mention anything like the OP, which you would think would be included if it had happened.

Ramblin' Dave 30 November 2008 09:45 AM

The wedding scene in Love Actually is said to have been inspired by Henson's funeral. A rather nice tribute, if true.

LizzyBean 01 December 2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psihala (Post 813033)
One of the first sites that came up when I did my Google search earlier was this one.

~Psihala

Quote:

Big Bird said "Thank you, Kermit."
That's the one. Thank you Psihala.