snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Wild Kingdom (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Man Bites Ostrich to Death (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=84040)

A Turtle Named Mack 23 January 2013 09:01 PM

Man Bites Ostrich to Death
 
You'd think the safest place for animals is usually a zoo. That apparently isn't the case in China. At a zoo in China's Guangdong province over the weekend, a man apparently bit and killed a large flightless bird as part of an elaborate suicide attempt.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...h-death/61305/

crocoduck_hunter 23 January 2013 09:26 PM

Chinese zoos appear to have an appalling lack of concern for their animals.

zerocool 23 January 2013 09:39 PM

If you want to commit suicide at a zoo, stand too close to the rhino, don't bite the ostrich.

A Turtle Named Mack 23 January 2013 10:04 PM

When i first moved to Atlanta metro, the zoo had deteriorated alarmingly, to the point that many of the animals died on their own, and many others were taken by the staff and eaten. It is a totally different facility now, but that was less than 30 years ago. I just bring this up to say that horrible zoos can happen here, too.

Here is some info about it; the events came before much stuff was placed on internet.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/pruit...y-jewel/nJRjY/

mags 23 January 2013 10:29 PM

I'm very concerned about animals' welfare, yet, from what I know of ostriches, the only thing I could think when I read the headline was "impressive!" I definitely wouldn't have bet on a human besting an ostritch in hand-to-hand (as it were) combat.

I'm really sorry I read about how things are at Chinese zoos, though.

Mickey Blue 24 January 2013 12:01 AM

I know that people who are committing suicide are often mentally ill, but why do those who choose to do so so often pick incredibly selfish ways that cause harm to innocent people around them?

me, no really 24 January 2013 12:21 AM

No data to back this up, but I suspect that for most, the harm they cause is the psychological harm of finding a corpse - often the corpse of a loved one. I suspect that most of the time, people who suicide in fact choose methods that do not harm others (hanging, overdose, gunshot etc come to mind). The people who do choose methods that cause harm to others are rare enough that they make the news.

crocoduck_hunter 24 January 2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 1706575)
When i first moved to Atlanta metro, the zoo had deteriorated alarmingly, to the point that many of the animals died on their own, and many others were taken by the staff and eaten. It is a totally different facility now, but that was less than 30 years ago. I just bring this up to say that horrible zoos can happen here, too.

Yeah, I'm aware of some of the pretty bad stuff happening here in the US. But for the most part, we have laws and groups that at least in theory exist to protect the animals and set restrictions on the conditions the animals are allowed to be stored in, ect. There are some pretty infamous cases of when that isn't met, and there are plenty of small, private zoos that aren't accredited by the American Zoological Society- I know several in my area that fall well below what I consider humane. But even they don't just allow visitors to throw trash at their animals. Or have ostriches that are in such poor condition that a visitor could bite one to death without getting disemboweled.

Brad from Georgia 24 January 2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocool (Post 1706559)
If you want to commit suicide at a zoo, stand too close to the rhino, don't bite the ostrich.

Right on, zerocool.

I myself have never harmed an ostrich, but in Cincinnati once an ostrich snuck up and bit me. I've found them less cuddly ever since.

crocoduck_hunter 24 January 2013 01:47 AM

The day that I stood closer to a rhino was also the day I was almost attacked by an ostrich (and gemsbok, and a hippo- the rhino was the one animal that I wasn't in danger of being attacked by).

Lainie 24 January 2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags (Post 1706593)
I'm very concerned about animals' welfare, yet, from what I know of ostriches, the only thing I could think when I read the headline was "impressive!" I definitely wouldn't have bet on a human besting an ostritch in hand-to-hand (as it were) combat.

That was my thought, too.

Quote:

I'm really sorry I read about how things are at Chinese zoos, though.
Me too. :( I was reading it aloud to my daughter, but I stopped when I saw where it was going. No need for her to be bummed out, too.

Dasla 24 January 2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia (Post 1706649)
Right on, zerocool.

I myself have never harmed an ostrich, but in Cincinnati once an ostrich snuck up and bit me. I've found them less cuddly ever since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1706654)
The day that I stood closer to a rhino was also the day I was almost attacked by an ostrich (and gemsbok, and a hippo- the rhino was the one animal that I wasn't in danger of being attacked by).

There are so many lines I could say here. My mind just boggles*. What were you doing! :)

Mickey Blue 24 January 2013 01:45 PM

Yea, I mean ok I can understand.. Well not really but still.. If you have bad conditions for your zoos because of lack of money and respect for your animals welfare, or if you have zoo workers who are abusive towards the animals there cause they are low-paid workers and you get what you pay for.. But what is wrong with Chinese civilians that would make them treat animals like that? Is it a cultural thing or a side-effect of upbringing or what?

I mean I'm not saying no American would ever do that, but at the zoos I've been to there certainly isn't a major issue with people throwing things at animals, sure you see signs telling you not to and I'm sure people do on occasion but I've never once seen anybody throw anything and certainly not with intent to harm the animal.

A Turtle Named Mack 24 January 2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey Blue (Post 1706752)
... or if you have zoo workers who are abusive towards the animals there cause they are low-paid workers and you get what you pay for...

How insulting to the very many low-paid workers who do their jobs well and with pride! How insulting to the many well-trained and motivated workers who choose to learn a field where they know they will not be paid high salaries, but choose to do what they love. Most of those who choose to work with animals do so because they want to, because they love and are fascinated by animals. They could almost all do much better financially if they chose to put money ahead of job satisfaction. Sure if management does not put the effort into finding and hiring people who want to do this sort of work, as opposed to people who just want any job, you are going to get people who don't appreciate the jobs they need to do. But to state that you only get people who care about their jobs if they get paid high wages, particularly in a field where love of one';s work is such a big part of the motivation, is counterfactual, inane and insulting.

Thera 24 January 2013 03:26 PM

I wouldn't exactly call Marietta, GA "metro". I live there, too.

I had no idea about the zoo conditions in Atlanta but I refuse to visit zoos on general principle so I guess I was out of the loop. And sadly, I'm not surprised about the conditions the China zoo animals live in.

A Turtle Named Mack 24 January 2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thera (Post 1706795)
I wouldn't exactly call Marietta, GA "metro". I live there, too.

I had no idea about the zoo conditions in Atlanta but I refuse to visit zoos on general principle so I guess I was out of the loop. And sadly, I'm not surprised about the conditions the China zoo animals live in.

re: metro - well, there is pretty much continuous urban, residential, commercial, manufacturing, etc. (i.e. non-rural) development out at least to Cartersville, so it all seems properly part of the metro to me. By census reckoning, metro Atlanat's MSA (formerly SMSA) extends to the north and west to Carrollton, Dallas, Calhoun, and Dahlonega, so including Marietta seems normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_metropolitan_area

ZooAtlanta is nothing like the previous zoo before 1985. The animlas largely have natural habitats, they are well cared-for, the workers are skilled and caring, especially of course, those who deal directly with the animals (some of the Gift Shop people could not care less), and they have become prominent in breeding and species preservation for several species, including gorillas, pandas, and golden lion tamarins. The tamarins even get to come out of their enclosure to an adjacent tree, and you view them with no dividers - their life habits keep them safely within that tree so they do not go off and get lost, as they greatly fear the hawks which patrol the skies above.

crocoduck_hunter 24 January 2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasla (Post 1706742)
There are so many lines I could say here. My mind just boggles*. What were you doing! :)

Riding shotgun on a backhoe that was digging a ditch at the local drive-through animal park. The backhoe blew a hydrolic line in the hippo enclosure, and the driver and I had to sneak out, whereupon we were approached by an aggressive ostrich and ended up retreating across a cattle guard to the next enclosure, where we were approached by an aggressive gemsbok before finding a keeper in the rhino barn.

fitz1980 24 January 2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 1706807)
re: metro - well, there is pretty much continuous urban, residential, commercial, manufacturing, etc. (i.e. non-rural) development out at least to Cartersville, so it all seems properly part of the metro to me. By census reckoning, metro Atlanat's MSA (formerly SMSA) extends to the north and west to Carrollton, Dallas, Calhoun, and Dahlonega, so including Marietta seems normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_metropolitan_area

heck, when I lived in Acworth and later Kennesaw I considered them part of Metro Atlanta.

Brad from Georgia 24 January 2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasla (Post 1706742)
There are so many lines I could say here. My mind just boggles*. What were you doing! :)

Me, I was taking a photo of my wife and children at the zoo. I had backed against a low wall, not realizing that it surrounded a circular yard teeming with blood-crazed ostriches. The wall came to about the small of my back; the ostriches were lower than the spectators, but tall enough so their heads came up above my own.

As I was lining up the photo, my son, then about four, got a horrified look on his face and screamed, "Dad!"

And then the ostrich that had silently loomed up behind me gave me an almighty whack on the head with its beak and then seized the hand I raised up to try to ward it off. It had a grip like a pair of pliers and hurt like the very dickens. It finally decided it couldn't dismember me or swallow me whole and went stalking off, leaving me with a lump on the head and fingers that were already turning purple. My son was crying. He thought the bird had me for sure.

Mickey Blue 25 January 2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 1706757)
How insulting to the very many low-paid workers who do their jobs well and with pride! [other over the top being offended comments]

If I could request that you take it down a notch:

I'm not talking about people who take jobs to work with animals as trainers, care givers, what have you because they are passionate about the work, I'm referring to low-end workers like people who muck out cages, pick up garbage, etc. If that wasn't clear I apologize but perhaps the best thing to do would be to clarify before you launched into a hyperbolic rant.

Beyond that nowhere did I suggest or imply that every single low-paid worker would do these things or that no high-paid worker would, just that jobs that are unpleasant for low pay tend to foster resentment in people. Sure plenty of people take pride in their work regardless of pay, and plenty of people are willing to just grumble about it at home while still doing the job, but it seems reasonable that resentment and hostility towards your job could find outlets towards animals you work with/near (you see that behavior on farms sometimes, and allegedly at circuses) much in the same way it sometimes will towards family members.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.