snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   SLC (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Odd thing you saw today (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96144)

DawnStorm 20 February 2018 06:25 PM

Saw a couple of rabbis hopping around the yard this morning as I was starting the car. Naturally they froze once they sensed me. Good thing Pearl was inside! :lol:

TallGeekyGirl 20 February 2018 06:48 PM

Rabbis hopping around the yard? Oy vey! :lol:

UEL 20 February 2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1972306)
Saw a couple of rabbis hopping around the yard this morning as I was starting the car. Naturally they froze once they sensed me. Good thing Pearl was inside! :lol:

Interesting. Did you offer them a blessing?

ETA: krap. That's what I get for stopping to do Tuesday Trivia before answering.

Lainie 20 February 2018 06:54 PM

Oh, the mental image. :lol:

I noticed it months ago, not just today, but there's a pedestrian signal near my office that has a very weird cycle. It has a countdown at the end of the walk signal, but when the countdown is finished, it flashes the walk sign again. I've watched this happen several times now.

UEL 20 February 2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1972315)

I noticed it months ago, not just today, but there's a pedestrian signal near my office that has a very weird cycle. It has a countdown at the end of the walk signal, but when the countdown is finished, it flashes the walk sign again. I've watched this happen several times now.

They are all over the city in Ottawa (at least south end). It is for those not so busy side streets where the traffic cycles are timed. If there is no traffic from those side streets, then the main street lights don't turn red. But the pedestrian lights still count down as if they were, but never fully go with the hand. I noticed one intersection in Toronto's Yorkdale neighbourhood that did the same thing.

That may be what you are seeing in Ohio.

ChasFink 20 February 2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1972315)

In my neighborhood there are pedestrian signals that will count down but go back to green if someone pushes the button again. They will do this twice (I think) before the traffic light will finally change.

crocoduck_hunter 20 February 2018 07:35 PM

Odd thing I heard today: I stopped in to a local sandwich shop and they started playing gangster rap over the sound system. It was very, very odd for a public business like that to have such music (the song had explicit lyrics).

Lainie 20 February 2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEL (Post 1972319)
That may be what you are seeing in Ohio.

I bet you're right. The street I'm crossing at that point doesn't get much traffic (well, that part of the street doesn't).

DawnStorm 21 February 2018 11:58 AM

Of course that should be rabbits! :-o:lol:

Richard W 21 February 2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1972325)
Odd thing I heard today: I stopped in to a local sandwich shop and they started playing gangster rap over the sound system. It was very, very odd for a public business like that to have such music (the song had explicit lyrics).

When I was in Beijing one of the hostels / hotels I stayed in had a little breakfast café, aimed at Western tourists and quite upmarket. I went there for breakfast several days running and they often played Martha Wainwright's eponymous first album. Musically this fit pretty well with their chosen style, but they played it all the way through, including track 9. If you're familiar with the album you'll know that the final chorus to that song (which is a great song, btw - one of the best on it, and it's a really good album) consists of its title repeated loudly and clearly for about a minute until the fade.

The first couple of times they played it I thought it was quite funny - as I said, I knew the album and really liked that song. I couldn't see anybody else much reacting to it. Then on the third day, it got to that track and the chorus started and the music was suddenly and abruptly turned off... somebody must have pointed out to somebody else what she was singing!

ChasFink 21 February 2018 02:01 PM

I passed by my local laundromat this morning, and several signs in the window proclaimed (in English and Spanish) "Jericho Laundromat is not closing anytime soon. The rumors are false." My first thought: The laundromat is closing? My second thought: What exactly does "anytime soon" mean?

Gutter Monkey 21 February 2018 02:05 PM

Doing some mechanical work in my yard today:

https://i.imgur.com/ISGekew.jpg

No really, I meant to attach both pedals so that they face the same direction. That's exactly where I wanted them to be.

WildaBeast 21 February 2018 05:10 PM

On my way home from work I drive by a sort of "island" in the street where the street splits into a Y shape before an intersection. It's fairly large, large enough for several trees to be planted in it. Last night I saw a guy who looked like he was sweeping the island with a small push broom. I think there's a homeless guy who camps there based on the shopping cart with a tarp over it that's been there for a while; I guess he likes to keep his living area clean, too.

mbravo 21 February 2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey (Post 1972361)
Doing some mechanical work in my yard today:

https://i.imgur.com/ISGekew.jpg

No really, I meant to attach both pedals so that they face the same direction. That's exactly where I wanted them to be.

Thank you for the mental image of someone trying to use this bicycle, though.

UrbanLegends101 21 February 2018 10:30 PM

Headed up US 17, Park Avenue and Roosevelt, Orange Park into Jacksonville, when I was passed by four brand new Dodge Chargers, all four were black, with the exception of the doors and the roof, which were white.

If that wasn't a police car giveway, the spotlight on the driver's side front window post clinched it. No markings, other than the paper tags for transit.

RichardM 22 February 2018 12:55 AM

I have seen similar vehicles at a local dealership I drove by daily. It appeared they were being transformed in to cars for the local police department. Over the course of a few days, the marking went on and radio antennas sprouted on the roof and trunk.

DrRocket 22 February 2018 01:31 AM

Chargers (And Ford Explorers) have become VERY popular for police car use.

All of the departments in my neck of the woods use them.

WildaBeast 22 February 2018 01:35 AM

My local PD had Chargers for a while, but now seems to have switched mostly to Explorers. It seems like most other departments in this neck of the woods have either gone the Explorer route or in some cases are still holding on to their Crown Vics.

UrbanLegends101 22 February 2018 01:47 AM

Most of the sheriff and police vehicles in Clay County and Duval County are all white with the decorative reflective tape, pretty much like this photo in the link.

Florida State Patrol vehicles tend to be black and tan.

I suspect those four vehicles were headed somewhere else.

https://www.facebook.com/ccsofl/phot...type=3&theater

Gutter Monkey 22 February 2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbravo (Post 1972389)
Thank you for the mental image of someone trying to use this bicycle, though.

I might have video of it in a day or two. :lol: