snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   SLC (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   I have rhabdomyolysis (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=89371)

NeeCD 04 May 2014 02:36 AM

I have rhabdomyolysis
 
This isn't something I'd usually do, but I'm asking for vibes. Here's the condensed version (really!)

I've been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis - a condition where the muscles break down and release proteins into the body. Basically, I lost all the strength in my upper arms, upper legs, and trunk (back and stomach). Over the course of a few weeks, I got worse until I finally went to the ER. Simplified, the measurable levels of these proteins is normally 250, mine were 71,000 (currently I'm down to 1290). I was in the hospital for 16 days and at one point, due to large amounts of IV fluids used to flush the proteins, I gained over 60 pounds and my whole body swelled, which eliminated any movement I had retained - I could lift my arms about an inch and couldn't bend them far enough even to touch my face. They never determined exactly why I got it and after numerous tests have chalked it up to "a virus".

I have been in rehab for the last 5 weeks now regaining my ability to do things like feed myself, dress, and walk. It's going well (hey, I can finally get on snopes again), but I'm still in almost constant pain (the muscles all are being rebuilt) and I've had to postpone my wedding, which was supposed to be next Saturday. I'm feeling a bit down, especially since I seem to have had a small setback this week and am actually feeling somewhat weaker than I was last week. I haven't been home in almost 2 months - I miss my cats and my things and just normal life in general. I know it could be worse - at least I will most likely fully recover in time, but for now I could just use some general encouragement, vibes, thoughts and anything else you guys would like to shove my way.

I'll respond as I can - it take a bit of effort to do stuff still.

Thanks, Denise.

thorny locust 04 May 2014 02:44 AM

Best wishes for a speedy rest of your recovery!

and an attempt to send you virtual purrs from the cats here present.

Little Pink Pill 04 May 2014 02:53 AM

Wow, that's a lot to recover from, emotionally as well as physically. I'm so glad your prognosis is good, that must have been really frightening.

Latiam 04 May 2014 03:27 AM

I`m sad you have to go through this, and relieved that it isn`t something you have to deal with permanently!

Canuck vibes sent!

Roadie 04 May 2014 03:33 AM

Oh, my goodness. I've never heard of this, and it sounds terrifying. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend! Vibes on the way from California - rest up and let your body revive!

NeeCD 04 May 2014 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1819799)
Best wishes for a speedy rest of your recovery!

and an attempt to send you virtual purrs from the cats here present.

Purrs are always welcome :). I'm having a home visit with the occupational therapist on Wednesday, and seeing the kitties is what I'm most looking forward to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill (Post 1819803)
Wow, that's a lot to recover from, emotionally as well as physically. I'm so glad your prognosis is good, that must have been really frightening.

For a few weeks prior, I'd been having muscle pain that was getting progressively worse. I started needing help to stand up from the couch or a chair. Acknowledging that I no longer had the strength in my arms to just push myself into a sitting position was probably one of the most scary things I ever did - I finally knew something was really wrong and it wasn't just some random pain that was going away on its own*.


*I had been to a doctor a few days before, but was only diagnosed at that time with extremely low vitamin D. The weakness came a couple of weeks after the muscle pain.

NeeCD 04 May 2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 1819812)
Oh, my goodness. I've never heard of this, and it sounds terrifying. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend! Vibes on the way from California - rest up and let your body revive!

I hadn't either. Rhabdo is usually the result of an extended crushing injury - like when an elderly person falls and doesn't get found right away. It is also apparently a side effect of Cross-fit when someone overdoes it. Another cause is heavy drug or alcohol use, so you can imagine all the questions I got, since I was obviously not crushed or particularly fit!

Horse Chestnut 04 May 2014 04:10 AM

Denise, take all the vibes I can possibly send, and then some. And I bet your kittehs will be as glad to see you as you are to see them. If you need a dose of purring or butt wiggles while you are in rehab, don't be afraid to ask your therapist if you can get a visit from a therapy cat or dog. It might help to lift your spirits until you can get back home to your own furbabies.

Jay Temple 04 May 2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeeCD (Post 1819817)
For a few weeks prior, I'd been having muscle pain that was getting progressively worse. I started needing help to stand up from the couch or a chair. Acknowledging that I no longer had the strength in my arms to just push myself into a sitting position was probably one of the most scary things I ever did - I finally knew something was really wrong and it wasn't just some random pain that was going away on its own.

This really resonated with me. 20-some years ago, I had a similar problem. (We never figured out what it was, but it largely went away on its own.) I remember that when I couldn't push myself back from the table, I occasionally fantasized turning into the Hulk and turning the table over.

Morning 04 May 2014 04:14 PM

Vibes! Ohioan cat purrs! I second the suggestion to ask for a therapy critter to come spend time with you. It is especially hard for animal lovers to deal with both an illness and a separation from their pets.

Chloe 04 May 2014 04:16 PM

You poor thing! I am glad they at least seem to know what you're dealing with. Many gentle hugs.

Not_Done_Living 04 May 2014 04:18 PM

the good news is they have a treatment that seems to be working -- thats the hardest part -- good luck in your recovery!

NeeCD 04 May 2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut (Post 1819823)
Denise, take all the vibes I can possibly send, and then some. And I bet your kittehs will be as glad to see you as you are to see them. If you need a dose of purring or butt wiggles while you are in rehab, don't be afraid to ask your therapist if you can get a visit from a therapy cat or dog. It might help to lift your spirits until you can get back home to your own furbabies.

They do have therapy animals that come through, but it's not the same (although the goats were sooo cute). I've even been told I can bring my cats here, but I just can't imagine that would be good for the cats (they're not mellow anything-goes types).

Johnny Slick 04 May 2014 07:25 PM

Wow, geez, glad you're feeling better and sorry you had to go through all that.

Richard W 04 May 2014 10:53 PM

Jees, ouch, wow... I was just feeling sorry for myself because of a sore knee! I'm glad it's something you will recover from - hang in there...

Latiam 05 May 2014 02:29 AM

Okay, I have to ask..
Therapy goats? You have to tell us more. Any other interesting animals? Here we just have boring old dogs and cats. Though they're cute too!
ps I know we're mostly a vibes board, but I prayed for you today at church too. Couldn't hurt.

NeeCD 05 May 2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latiam (Post 1819935)
Okay, I have to ask..
Therapy goats? You have to tell us more. Any other interesting animals? Here we just have boring old dogs and cats. Though they're cute too!
ps I know we're mostly a vibes board, but I prayed for you today at church too. Couldn't hurt.

They brought in 3 goats and had them in the common area. One was just a baby and was wearing a little denim jumper. I wish I had pictures - if they do it again I'll get some.

Latiam 05 May 2014 01:10 PM

It looks like there are some support groups online. You might find it helpful to talk with a group of people who truly understand what you are going through.

Mosherette 05 May 2014 02:14 PM

Holy moly. Wishing you all the best Denise! Gentle hugs xxx

mela681 05 May 2014 02:29 PM

That sounds incredibly scary. I'm glad that you got a diagnosis and are on the mend. I hope you can be home with your furry family soon.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.