snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Fauxtography (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Unidentified Austrian church (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=95819)

Skeptic 06 July 2017 09:44 AM

Unidentified Austrian church

I'm wondering if anyone can identify the church in this photo. All I recall is that it was in Austria. This was taken in the early 80s, so the scene may be very different now.
I found this photo in a batch of my early travel days, but it's annoying me that I can't find the details of the place.

http://i.imgur.com/jx6vMqwl.jpg

Don Enrico 06 July 2017 11:28 AM

The problem is: that's a rather generic church, at least for the region north of the Alps (Austria, Switzerland, southern Germany). I tried a reverse picture search and I did a search of pictures for "Kirche Österreich" in Wikipedia, but no luck (you probably did both of that already).

Can you at least remember in what regions of Austria you did travel? Maybe we can narrow it down.

ETA: Here's a (German language) site of church buildings in Austria that let's you search be region. It claims to have 525 buildings and 3723 pictures: http://www.sakralbauten.at/. If you can remember the region, we can search there. Or you could ask the owner of the site direktly: info[at]sakralbauten.at.

Pudding Crawl 06 July 2017 11:40 AM

This one looks a good match, although it's in Bavaria- just.

Gutter Monkey 06 July 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudding Crawl (Post 1953211)
This one looks a good match, although it's in Bavaria- just.

I really like that huge mountain range they added behind it since Skeptic took that photo in the 80s, really adds to the ambience .... :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic (Post 1953207)
This was taken in the early 80s, so the scene may be very different now.

And how!!

Lainie 06 July 2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey (Post 1953218)
I really like that huge mountain range they added behind it since Skeptic took that photo in the 80s, really adds to the ambience .... :lol:!

There could be mountains behind that fog. When I lived in the Seattle area, we could go days without seeing the mountains, in a foggy/misty/cloudy winter.

musicgeek 06 July 2017 01:29 PM

I think the mountains are probably in there, just behind the fog. ETA: Spanked by Lainie! All the architectural details are there, as well as the trees. Here's a shot composed virtually identically to Skeptic's, in which the mountains don't seem nearly as prominent:

https://www.schwangau.de/fileadmin/i...bd6c2a686f.jpg

Lainie 06 July 2017 01:41 PM

The Mountain is what?

Pudding Crawl 06 July 2017 01:50 PM

Without dismissing the notion that they only get the mountains out for high season- yes, I was presuming fog/white-out conditions.

UEL 06 July 2017 02:13 PM

I love this place for this type of detective work.

What a find!

Seaboe Muffinchucker 06 July 2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1953225)

12,000 feet? Um, not really. Try 14,410 (or 11) feet.

Otherwise, a very nice explanation.

Seaboe

Don Enrico 06 July 2017 02:32 PM

How did you find that, Pudding Crawl?

Well done, however you did it!

ETA: Wikicommons has a winter view that looks even more like the OP picture.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...5%2C_DD_15.JPG
By Diego Delso

GenYus234 06 July 2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker (Post 1953236)
12,000 feet? Um, not really. Try 14,410 (or 11) feet.

The article was saying how high it is above the surrounding area, not its height above sea level.

Pudding Crawl 06 July 2017 02:42 PM

'"Byzantine chapel" Austria' to start with, added 'alpine' when it looked like the architecture was more in keeping with that kind of setting; then struck lucky when it turned up in someone's blog post about a cross-border journey.
I have no real skillz but it seemed like it'd make a good tea-break activity.

Skeptic 06 July 2017 09:27 PM

Thank you everyone for all your work. It is indeed in Germany, but only a few miles from the border with Austria. I see it's only a few miles from Neuschwanstein Castle which is where we were heading. The church photo was snapped as we went by in a bus and we did not visit. Lovely scenery but OMG it was cold.

Skeptic 06 July 2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1953219)
There could be mountains behind that fog. When I lived in the Seattle area, we could go days without seeing the mountains, in a foggy/misty/cloudy winter.

I arrived in Pokhara in Nepal and had a brilliant view of the Karakoram Mountains, some of the highest in the world. I thought I'd get out the camera and take some photos, but first we set up our camp. Clouds rolled in 20 minutes later and I never saw the mountains again.

Lainie 06 July 2017 09:36 PM

My brother visited me in Seattle for a week one March. He never saw Rainier. I don't think he saw any of the mountains.

Tootsie Plunkette 06 July 2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1953262)
My brother visited me in Seattle for a week one March. He never saw Rainier. I don't think he saw any of the mountains.

How many times did Seattleites see Rainier in 2012?

Lainie 06 July 2017 10:11 PM

I love that! Thank you for posting it.

UEL 07 July 2017 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic (Post 1953261)
I arrived in Pokhara in Nepal and had a brilliant view of the Karakoram Mountains, some of the highest in the world. I thought I'd get out the camera and take some photos, but first we set up our camp. Clouds rolled in 20 minutes later and I never saw the mountains again.

I had a reverse experience. In 2004 I went to Lapland in Finland in December (I know, what was I thinking). The trees and the deep snow reminded me of my time in the mountains for two winters in British Columbia. I thought for sure I was in the mountains.

I was there for just about a week. It was snowing and cloudy the entire time, ceiling about 500 feet, visibility 1 mile. I could see the bridge near my hotel, but that was about it.

I was shocked to revisit Rovaniemi on Streetview. The weather that day was gorgeous and summer. Not a damned mountain to be found. I still have the impression of being surrounded by mountains when I look at my photos from my visit, but I know in my brain that they were not mountains.... just more snow.

mbravo 07 July 2017 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEL (Post 1953270)
I had a reverse experience. In 2004 I went to Lapland in Finland in December (I know, what was I thinking). The trees and the deep snow reminded me of my time in the mountains for two winters in British Columbia. I thought for sure I was in the mountains.

I was there for just about a week. It was snowing and cloudy the entire time, ceiling about 500 feet, visibility 1 mile. I could see the bridge near my hotel, but that was about it.

I was shocked to revisit Rovaniemi on Streetview. The weather that day was gorgeous and summer. Not a damned mountain to be found. I still have the impression of being surrounded by mountains when I look at my photos from my visit, but I know in my brain that they were not mountains.... just more snow.

To be fair to you, you were surrounded by all the matter that would compose a moutain, but in frozen liquid or vapor form, and spread out over a larger area ;)