snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Police Blotter (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Queensland woman charged with riding horse to bottle shop while four times over legal (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96699)

Graham2001 05 June 2018 09:51 PM

Queensland woman charged with riding horse to bottle shop while four times over legal
 
It's not just cars you can be drunk-in-charge of...

Quote:

A woman has been charged after allegedly riding a horse to a bottle shop while she was more than four times the legal alcohol limit.

Police in Logan, south of Brisbane, were called to a tavern about 11:30pm on Monday over a woman refusing to leave the premises.

They said upon arrival the female allegedly rode the horse through the drive-through section of the tavern and appeared heavily intoxicated.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...mit/ar-AAyf2yE

crocoduck_hunter 05 June 2018 10:02 PM

I'm getting hung up on the fact that drive-through taverns are apparently a thing in Australia.

GenYus234 05 June 2018 10:33 PM

It first says "bottle shop" so the drive through part could be for sealed bottles, not open containers.

erwins 05 June 2018 11:02 PM

Where I grew up there was a chain of liquor stores that sometimes had a drive through window. Some of them also had a "lounge" portion of the premises where alcohol was served. It had a separate entrance, but was part of the same building. Rightly or wrongly, that's what I'm picturing here.

crocoduck_hunter 06 June 2018 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1980121)
It first says "bottle shop" so the drive through part could be for sealed bottles, not open containers.

Either way, such a store having a drive-through window weirds me out.

GenYus234 06 June 2018 12:52 AM

Not the only time drive through windows sell things you shouldn't use until you get home. There are drive through dry cleaners and you shouldn't change clothes while you are driving. Drive through wedding chapels and you shouldn't connube while you are driving.

erwins 06 June 2018 01:03 AM

I always think it's a bit odd that people are weirded out by it. We regularly use a drive through pharmacy near us, and it isn't because we intend to use the medication in the car.

WildaBeast 06 June 2018 01:39 AM

Even when I go through a drive through restaurant, most of the time I don't intend to eat the food in my car. I intend to eat it when I arrive at my destination. I certainly don't intend to eat it while I'm driving (although I guess that is a thing some people do).

Actually at In-N-Out they ask you if you plan on eating in your car. If you say no they give you your food in a bag. If you say yes they give it to you on a cardboard tray.

Richard W 06 June 2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erwins (Post 1980132)
I always think it's a bit odd that people are weirded out by it.

I'm weirded out by drive-through anything. The usual takeaway places have drive-through branches here now too, and those are weird. It's nothing to do with assuming you're going to be eating or drinking while driving - surely most people using drive-through even to buy a burger will park so that they can eat it?

Dasla 06 June 2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard W (Post 1980159)
surely most people using drive-through even to buy a burger will park so that they can eat it?

Mostly they take it home.

When I was growing up the drive through was were my parents mostly got their alcohol. The local football (rugby league) club has a drive through I believe (it also has a bottle shop, restaurant etc.). I don't drink a lot of alcohol so don't know if the drive through is as popular as it was in the 70's when my parents used it. Oh and also I don't drive. But I do believe there was (that is there was) also a drive through bakery in my home town. I don't believe the drive through takeaway (takeout) was popular then.

Drive throughs, of any type, are used by people mostly on their way home from work when they don't want to get out of the car but use what every they want when they get home. Tired after a hard days work I guess.

It wasn't me, by the way that was arrested. I haven't lived in Logan for 20 years and haven't ridden a horse in over 30. ;)

thorny locust 06 June 2018 01:48 PM

Didn't we have a thread a while back about someone in the USA charged for riding a horse on the highway while drunk?

-- oh, it wasn't a thread on its own, I guess. It happened in Florida and wound up in the Florida Man thread.

kitap 06 June 2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1980168)
Didn't we have a thread a while back about someone in the USA charged for riding a horse on the highway while drunk?

-- oh, it wasn't a thread on its own, I guess. It happened in Florida and wound up in the Florida Man thread.

My dad and I were at a McDonald's here and saw three women on horseback in what looked like the "I paid for food am am now waiting to get it" line. Everyone stared.

Graham2001 06 June 2018 02:38 PM

An update...

Quote:

A drunk mother allegedly caught riding her horse to the bottle shop in search of more wine while four times the legal alcohol limit has broken her silence.

Speaking exclusively with 9NEWS, Charmaine Maguire said she doesnt think she did anything wrong, after being arrested at a Queensland liquor store's drive-thru.

I do the right thing, she said.

I dont have a car because I drink.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...ong/ar-AAyho21

overyonder 06 June 2018 02:45 PM

Drive-thru's are pretty ubiquitous all over the US + Canada, at least. It took me a while to get used to a drive-thru ATM when I left Canada to go to the US in 1997, I'm ok with that now. I'm still not comfortable with the teller-attended-drive-thru-bank, though, especially with the vacuum thingies to send stuff back and forth to the teller. If I need to to business at the counter, I just walk in the branch.

Some Pennsylvania take "drive thru" literally, as you drive your vehicle INTO the store, not just a drive-up-window.

Here

OY

Psihala 06 June 2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

I do the right thing, she said.

I dont have a car because I drink.
Wha--?

~Psihala
(*"I don't have a car because I might lose control of it, so I use something else instead that has a mind of its own.")

erwins 06 June 2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard W (Post 1980159)
I'm weirded out by drive-through anything. The usual takeaway places have drive-through branches here now too, and those are weird. It's nothing to do with assuming you're going to be eating or drinking while driving - surely most people using drive-through even to buy a burger will park so that they can eat it?

I don't think it's odd for people who are unused to drive-throughs to be weirded out by them. I've just heard lots of jokes and comments here in the US along the lines of it being really stupid, or irresponsible, to have a drive-through at a liquor store. The text or subtext is always that it encourages or enables drinking and driving. But they aren't handing out beer in cups with lids and straws. There is no reason to think people will be using it in the car, or driving after they have had something to drink. Where I grew up, people don't really walk anywhere, so drive through or no, they'd still be driving to the liquor store and driving away.

I suppose not allowing it would require that a person be able to walk into the store, but not all people who benefit from not having to do that are hampered by being drunk. And if they are so drunk that they wouldn't be able to walk, the liquor store ought to be able to detect that at the drive-up window as well.

GenYus234 06 June 2018 04:35 PM

Are their statistics on how many people arrested/convicted for DUI or who get into an accident while impaired were drinking in a bar vs drinking store-bought liquor? Seems to me that the majority of issues come from drinking out vs drinking at home or a party. If that is so, then the alcohol sales would be of less value in reducing DUIs.

ChasFink 06 June 2018 04:43 PM

Craig Ferguson has said one of the things that made him love America was a drive-through store that sold liquor, fireworks, and guns.

1958Fury 06 June 2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitap (Post 1980178)
My dad and I were at a McDonald's here and saw three women on horseback in what looked like the "I paid for food am am now waiting to get it" line. Everyone stared.

I have been through a McDonald's drive-thru on horseback.

thorny locust 06 June 2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham2001 (Post 1980180)
An update...

drunk-bottle-o-horse-rider-insists-she-wasnt-doing-anything-wrong/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psihala (Post 1980186)
Wha--?

~Psihala
(*"I don't have a car because I might lose control of it, so I use something else instead that has a mind of its own.")

My guess is that she thinks because the horse is sober, and has enough of a mind of its own to watch where it's going, that that makes it OK.

I think it amounts to endangering the horse as well as herself and other traffic; because while you can reasonably rely on most horses to find their way around a pasture without running into things, relying on a horse to deal with modern traffic on its own is a bit much.

I'm a bit thrown by this quote (in the cited article) from the police, however:

Quote:

Acting Senior Sergeant Damien Honsig-Erlenburg said drink driving laws applied to a range of situations, including while riding animals.

If its got wheels and it can transport you then it can be deemed as a vehicle.
That would make sense if she'd been using a horse and buggy; but if she's riding the horse, how did wheels get involved?


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.