snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Old Wives' Tales (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   No, Celebrity Deaths Do Not Come in Threes (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=90176)

snopes 16 August 2014 04:13 PM

No, Celebrity Deaths Do Not Come in Threes
 
It happens time and time again. Two celebrities — like Robin Williams
and Lauren Bacall — die within a couple days of each other, and people
start holding their breath. “Celebrities always die in threes,” they
say, post and tweet. “Who’s next?”

Probably nobody, if history is any guide. Despite the all-too-human
desire to find patterns in life, there really are none here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/up...in-threes.html

zarchery 18 August 2014 12:12 PM

This is one of those things that I wonder if anyone actually believes. Or is it one of those things everyone sarcastically pretends to believe, like that 2012 Mayan apocalypse thing? I know that I made a post last week regarding Bacall's death and asking "ok who's number 3", but I was being tongue in cheek.

Alarm 18 August 2014 02:07 PM

Everyone, everywhere, every time dies in threes...
and fours, and fives, and thousands...

After all, there's always people dying, now, aren't there?

If you wait long enough, there's bound to be another aged celebrity death, a drug overdose, drunk driving accident, illness. It's called life, you don't get out of it alive.

:rolleyes:

Dondi 18 August 2014 02:08 PM

And even if such the case, the third "celebrity" usually turns out to be some minor actor you've barely even heard of. But celluloid heroes never really die...

UEL 18 August 2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondi (Post 1838170)
And even if such the case, the third "celebrity" usually turns out to be some minor actor you've barely even heard of. But celluloid heroes never really die...

Although it was said with tongue in cheek here on the board, some of my Facebook acquaintances are using the death of Arlene Martel (who?) as evidence of this as a phenomenon.

For the record, I had to look up her name. I remember T'pring, but that was it.

fitz1980 18 August 2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarchery (Post 1838151)
This is one of those things that I wonder if anyone actually believes. Or is it one of those things everyone sarcastically pretends to believe, like that 2012 Mayan apocalypse thing? I know that I made a post last week regarding Bacall's death and asking "ok who's number 3", but I was being tongue in cheek.

I think you are overestimating people if you think that the 2012 people were just sarcasticlly pretended to believe. In 2014 it's easy to pretend you never gave it serious consideration. But back in 2011-2012 I remember it differently. Sort of like how you would be hard pressed to find someone who will admit to believing Y2K was going to destroy our infrastructure, but they existed. I has some neighbors who turned their garage into a Y2K shelter.

DawnStorm 02 September 2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UEL (Post 1838177)
Although it was said with tongue in cheek here on the board, some of my Facebook acquaintances are using the death of Arlene Martel (who?) as evidence of this as a phenomenon.

For the record, I had to look up her name. I remember T'pring, but that was it.

Don Pardo recently died.

TripleAAA 15 October 2014 12:32 AM

I just noticed this today. I thought it was quite funny.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/...psd26582c1.png

Dondi 15 October 2014 04:29 PM

I've been anticipating a lot of my favorite celebrities deaths, especially the ones I grew up with that are now into their eighties and above, like:

Clint Eastwood, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Dick Van Dyke, Gene Hackman, Carl Reiner, Tim Conway, Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, Sean Connery, Sophia Loren, Shirley MacLaine, Betty White, Carol Burnett, Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Rita Moreno...to name a few.

Not that I'n anxious for them to pass, but there is a lot of actors and actress that I'll be sad to see go. They just aren't going to live forever.

Lainie 15 October 2014 04:54 PM

I was really struck the first time I heard Nimoy speak and his voice sounded like an old man's. He was an old man, of course, and hadn't been young since I was a child, but it still made an impression on me.

Psihala 15 October 2014 05:01 PM

I get the same feeling whenever I hear John Cleese speak these days as well.

~Psihala

TripleAAA 15 October 2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1845815)
I was really struck the first time I heard Nimoy speak and his voice sounded like an old man's. He was an old man, of course, and hadn't been young since I was a child, but it still made an impression on me.

He really does sound like an old man!

UEL 15 October 2014 07:10 PM

He's been speaking recently about his diagnosis with COPD. I'm wondering if that has wreaked havoc on his voice.

Lainie 15 October 2014 07:16 PM

I don't think so, what I'm describing was several years ago, and it was the same voice change I've heard in older people without respiratory disease.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.