snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   The Doctor Is In (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Why Does Acne Still Exist? (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=85820)

snopes 06 June 2013 04:06 AM

Why Does Acne Still Exist?

Treating acne is a $3 billion industry in the United States alone. That may be why there's not enormous incentive to develop a vaccine. Like the rest of medicine, though, the approach to acne is now becoming more individualized -- taking into consideration differences in the way different people respond to the disease.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-exist/276477/

Esprise Me 06 June 2013 07:50 AM

Right, the old "doctors would rather keep us sick so they can keep taking our money" conspiracy. Reality check: if someone actually developed an effective acne vaccine, their great-great-grandchildren could live lavishly off the interest from the estate. There's more financial incentive for such a vaccine than there would be for one that prevented millions of deaths but only in Africa.

snopes 06 June 2013 08:16 AM

Really. One has to wonder how something like LASIK was ever developed, given how large the eyeglasses and contact lens industry is.

ganzfeld 06 June 2013 08:21 AM

I totally agree with the question but, in that case, the Soviets developed it.

snopes 06 June 2013 08:35 AM

Certainly the Soviets (specifically Svyatoslav Fyodorov) had a good deal to do with the development of LASIK, but I don't think it can fairly be credited to a single person or group -- as with most other technological innovations, it came about through a number of people building upon the discoveries and efforts of others.

In any case, the example illustrates my point: innovations that are antithetical to extensive existing business lines still get developed, because there are plenty of people who aren't in those lines of business and thus have nothing to lose (and a good deal to gain) by pursuing those innovations.

Sandgroper 06 June 2013 08:36 AM

I'm confused; I thought it was mainly a hormonal thing?
How can you vaccination against something that has so many contributing factors?
Aren’t diet, exercise, hormone levels, sebum levels in the skin etc … all factors?
How can you vaccination against puberty?

Don Enrico 06 June 2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandgroper (Post 1742206)

I don't know how, but if there is a chance that you can, get going with the research! I've only got seven more years until my daughter turns 13!

;) :fish:

Nick Theodorakis 06 June 2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

I'm confused; I thought it was mainly a hormonal thing?
How can you vaccination against something that has so many contributing factors?
Arenít diet, exercise, hormone levels, sebum levels in the skin etc Ö all factors?

Sebum levels and other changes in the skin are associated with hormone production, but the bacterium Propionibacterium acnes (which is resident on everyone's skin) triggers the inflammatory response that we see as acne. That is why drugs that treat acne are either antibiotics or anti-inflammatory. The wiki has a pretty good summary.

Since only certain strains of P. acnes seem to be involved, I wonder if a "pro-biotic" approach might work, in terms of seeding skin with "friendly" or non-pathogenic strains.

Nick

Lainie 06 June 2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Acne is not solely puberty-related.

Arriah 06 June 2013 03:53 PM

Yep. My skin was pretty clear at 16 but now at 35, it's terrible. If I'm just going through puberty now, I'm in trouble. OTOH, if I'm just hitting puberty now, that means I'll live to about 200 which might be cool.

crocoduck_hunter 06 June 2013 05:49 PM

Another thing the article was wrong on: it's not a condition that's limited to humans, cats get it too.

Ryda Wong, EBfCo. 06 June 2013 05:52 PM

As do dogs.

LadyLockeout 06 June 2013 08:01 PM

And guinea pigs

CenTex 06 June 2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arriah (Post 1742271)
Yep. My skin was pretty clear at 16 but now at 35, it's terrible. If I'm just going through puberty now, I'm in trouble. OTOH, if I'm just hitting puberty now, that means I'll live to about 200 which might be cool.

Mine got worse in my 20s, to the point that I was put on Accutane in my mid 20s. I have been clear ever since.

GenYus234 06 June 2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyLockeout (Post 1742356)
And guinea pigs

I guess we know how to test the potential vaccines then.

Nick Theodorakis 06 June 2013 08:30 PM

It may seem like an odd thing to say, but guinea pigs are rarely used as guinea pigs.

Nick

snopes 06 June 2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CenTex (Post 1742363)
Mine got worse in my 20s, to the point that I was put on Accutane in my mid 20s. I have been clear ever since.

Same here. My acne didn't get worse in my 20s, but it bothered me that I still had it at that age so I took Accutane to clear it up.

queen of the caramels 07 June 2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Enrico (Post 1742212)
I don't know how, but if there is a chance that you can, get going with the research! I've only got seven more years until my daughter turns 13!

;) :fish:

Both of my daughters were 11.....:eek:

Lainie 07 June 2013 12:34 AM

Me too. And my daughter. It sucks.

queen of the caramels 07 June 2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1742454)
Me too. And my daughter. It sucks.

I was 12...by 3 days..and ye sucketh was strong!