snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Things you shouldn't have to tell people (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96974)

Gutter Monkey 15 September 2018 04:40 AM

Things you shouldn't have to tell people

Continuing on from the previous thread ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter
I've gotten the same letter three times because I kept trying to get the post office to return it to the sender but instead they redelivered it to me.

I always write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS RETURN TO SENDER" in big letters across the envelope and cross out my address if I get mail for a previous tenant.

Skeptic 15 September 2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey (Post 1987339)
Continuing on from the previous thread ...

I always write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS RETURN TO SENDER" in big letters across the envelope and cross out my address if I get mail for a previous tenant.

Cross out any bar codes on the letter, as these are used to direct it, and it will keep reading the same codes again. It will force it to be read by a human again.

crocoduck_hunter 15 September 2018 06:42 AM

Eventually it stopped coming back. These days I only get junk mail addressed to my apartment's former resident, and I just toss it.

Sue 15 September 2018 02:44 PM

We used to live in a house where the previous owner's husband had died fifteen years earlier. All the time we lived in that house we still got mail addressed to him. Once you're on a mailing list, you're on a mailing list! I wonder if now in the days of email if that kind of thing has lessened any.

RichardM 15 September 2018 10:42 PM

10-15 years after we had bought our house back in Sachse Texas, I started to get requests for money from the Republican party addressed to the previous owner. Since this included a postage paid return envelope, I filled the envelope to capacity with other junk mail and returned it.

dfresh 16 September 2018 01:58 AM

We bought our house in 2005, and up until last year we got the tax bill for the sellers new property, every year. Luckily they are people we know, so we forward the bill to them. However just today I got some mail for a business they own.

Sooeygun 17 September 2018 04:41 PM

At our previous apartment, we would get parking tickets for the previous tenant, from all over southern Ontario. And statements of unpaid parking tickets and overdue notices for unpaid parking tickets. Always returned to sender.

And then we got a notice for renewal of his car registration. Soon after the parking tickets stopped coming. I can't imagine how much the guy would have had to pay in overdue tickets in order to renew his registration. At the very least, it forced him to change his address.

Sue 17 September 2018 06:22 PM

No the Soon-Yi Allen story does not "prove" that Woody Allen was right and Mia Farrow is a bitch :rolleyes:. All it proves is that everyone has their own story and are entitled to tell that story. Of course the coincidence that she finally broke her silence right around the time her husband finally stopped getting people to pay him to make movies is purely coincidental.

Mouse 18 September 2018 03:45 AM

Iíd ask, but I really shouldnít ask questions Iím scared to know the answers to. No matter how many times I keep doing it. :rolleyes:

Steve 18 September 2018 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1987478)
Of course the coincidence that she finally broke her silence right around the time her husband finally stopped getting people to pay him to make movies is purely coincidental.

No, sheís spoken out before saying that Mia Farrow was an abusive mother. Some children in the family agree with her and some donít. But God forbid someone claim they were abused if you find the timing suspect.

Sue 18 September 2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 1987505)
No, she’s spoken out before saying that Mia Farrow was an abusive mother. Some children in the family agree with her and some don’t. But God forbid someone claim they were abused if you find the timing suspect.

She's never penned a "Mommy Dearest" before. I don't think the timing is a coincidence. You, of course, are free to conclude otherwise. As to the children of the family, only two have ever come forward accusing their mother of anything, the rest of the children have always been supportive. Again that proves nothing - all children experience childhood differently. Including Dylan Farrow. Who also has always spoken up about the abuse she claimed to experience - and did not start doing it in light of the metoo movement, despite the snide claims in this article. Again an article that was written after actors who have worked with Allen finally started distancing themselves from him - and after he failed to get backing for a film. He and his friends would appear to blame the metoo movement for that. But, yeah, coincidence.

Steve 20 September 2018 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1987516)
She's never penned a "Mommy Dearest" before. I don't think the timing is a coincidence. You, of course, are free to conclude otherwise. As to the children of the family, only two have ever come forward accusing their mother of anything.

I donít conclude otherwise since I donít conclude anything. I have no idea what happened. But the defense that only two of her children a cussed her of horrible abuse makes me wonder if youíre even serious here. Usually when two of your kids accuse you of abuse thatís something we take seriously, not something we dismiss based on denominators. (Well, only two of her numerous kids...)

But honestly your assured comments that itís all about money and canít be really is pretty disgusting.

DawnStorm 20 September 2018 06:23 PM

You put one of your campaign ads in the middle of a missing person report, local blogger?! What part of tacky do you not get?

Seaboe Muffinchucker 20 September 2018 07:19 PM

The part that starts with a T? ;)

Seaboe

Gutter Monkey 21 September 2018 08:03 AM

If you've been racking up public transport fines for traveling without a valid ticket for nine years and just plain ignoring the many many letters they've been sending you all this time (pretty much all of them offering options for payment plans) then you really don't get to play the victim when the government seizes that money from your account. I bet a bunch of those letters you threw into the bin without opening were warning you this was about to happen.

(The poor guy has been having a really really hard time lately and just got kicked out of his house by the landlord along with a bunch of other problems so I can't say any of this stuff to his face, he was massively stressed out even before this.)

Seaboe Muffinchucker 21 September 2018 03:19 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how people who ignore travel fees (in Seattle, it's bridge tolls), plus all the correspondence about them, have the audacity to claim how terribly unfair it all is when the hammer comes crashing down on their behavior.

Your friend at least has mega-stress as an excuse.

Seaboe

Beachlife! 21 September 2018 04:27 PM

That would be my ex-wife. Before I met her, in college, she had decided that she didn't care for the schools parking policies and just parked where she wanted and thought she was being cool tossing the parking tickets. I didn't know this until after we were married when they issued a bench warrant against her for $4000 in tickets and fines.

Sue 21 September 2018 04:37 PM

Sounds like the husband of a friend of mine who didn't file his taxes for years because he figured he didn't owe much and "they'd" never notice. Guess what? Eventually "they" did! And not much owing per year added up to a tidy little sum.

Gutter Monkey 21 September 2018 04:59 PM

I've probably mentioned it before but one of my previous housemates refused to buy a $40 annual parking pass so he could park in the street outside our house and just kept throwing the parking fines and the infringements letters in the bin. I warned him that they'd tow the car one day or issue him with a court summons and apparently his plan was that he'd just explain his side of things in courte and the judge would of course agree with him and it'd all work out.

We lost contact after he moved out so I never got to hear the end of the story. :lol:

kitap 23 September 2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 1987867)
That would be my ex-wife. Before I met her, in college, she had decided that she didn't care for the schools parking policies and just parked where she wanted and thought she was being cool tossing the parking tickets. I didn't know this until after we were married when they issued a bench warrant against her for $4000 in tickets and fines.

When I worked at Taco Bell it was on a pedestrian mall with limited access for work/apartment dweller cars. We rented our spots in a 15 spot or so parking lot as did everyone else who parked there. Except for one gal from Chicago who was renting and apartment and apparently felt she was above paying for parking. Well, the owner had given the police department written permission to let us call the police on unauthorized parkers and get them ticketed so we did.

We didn't realise it, but Chicago gal just ignored her parking tickets. Until a cop noticed she had never paid any fines for two semesters.

So they towed her.

We all giggled when she had a meltdown. We outright laughed when we found out she'd faked paperwork to get her car out of the impound lot, got caught, and went to jail for something like 10 days.

Sue 25 September 2018 03:47 PM

wrong thread

kitap 30 September 2018 08:49 AM

That, at an Indian Restaurant, you are not going to be getting an order of chips and salsa.

She was really obnoxious about it, too. "Well" pointing" they're eating chips and salsa... What? Papadum? No, those are chips. And I want salsa." Once they finally got the idea that they don't do chips and salsa through to her, she agreed to order papadums. Then complained bitterly about the price.

Lainie 30 September 2018 04:54 PM

The last time we ate at our favorite old-school Chinese place, the family behind us tried to order a grilled cheese sandwich for their 4(ish)YO. Apparently the waiter mentioned that that wasn't on the menu, and one of the parents said something about restaurants having those even if they aren't on the menu. The waiter said "Not Chinese restaurants" and walked away. :lol:

ETA: He'd already made several alternative suggestions for things the kid might eat -- plain rice or lo mein noodles.

Cervus 30 September 2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey (Post 1987339)

I had this ongoing problem for months; I had to resort to leaving a note in my mailbox for the postal carrier explaining that that person is not at this address. (Crossing out the bar code on the envelope didn't help either.) So far, the note seems to have taken care of the problem, but if I get one more piece of mail for them, I'm going directly to the post office to speak with someone higher-up.

Kermor 30 September 2018 07:33 PM

Got the same problem : at the end of last year, my sister lived in my tenement, and had her mail, all of it, delivered there. Since them, I've received some mail order mailings addressed to her, even if she doesn't live here anymore. Thankfully, working for the postal service, I have a few "Return to Sender" stickers that I use to send that mail back to their senders. Doesn't seem to do the trick, though, but maybe they'll realize that I don't want their mail.

Seaboe Muffinchucker 01 October 2018 03:04 PM

Catalog senders really don't care whether the person they are purportedly sending the catalog to is at the address they've sent it to. Someone (they hope) will see it.

Lainie, I think that a restaurant would have to have bread and cheese somewhere on the menu in order to provide a grilled cheese sandwich, on or off the menu. Then again, entitled jerks teaching their children to be entitled jerks probably don't think of such things.

Seaboe

Sue 01 October 2018 03:07 PM

In a mild defense of expecting grilled cheese at Chinese restaurants if most of your experience of Chinese restaurants is buffets and buffets elsewhere are anything like they are around here you can expect to find lots of non-Chinese food choices. Pizza, french fries, onion rings, in one place they even have a carvery featuring roast beef, lamb etc along with yorkshire puddings - that one really threw me!

Seaboe Muffinchucker 01 October 2018 03:29 PM

Even so, Sue, if there is nothing on the menu with cheese in it, I think it would be unreasonable to expect the restaurant to have cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Seaboe

GenYus234 01 October 2018 03:38 PM

Are there common Chinese food dishes that use cheese? All I can think of is the cream cheese in Crab Rangoon and that's American Chinese AIUI.

Beachlife! 01 October 2018 03:43 PM

I do not think so. In me experience, Chinese restaurants have always had non-Chinese options on the menu, but its unreasonable expect them to whip up just any old thing, especially if it involves ingredients they probably don't have.

Sue 01 October 2018 03:45 PM

A Chinese restaurant near us has wontons stuffed with cream cheese. They are too good. They may be Americanized Chinese food but then so are a lot of the other items on offer. For some people that's the only kind of Chinese food they want to eat and it makes sense for the owners to recognize that and keep those items available.

I'm not at all defending someone who demands a food choice that is not on the menu BTW just saying that it's not really a reach, at least at most buffets I've been to, to expect to see food that has nothing to do with Chinese cooking!

thorny locust 01 October 2018 04:46 PM

FWIW, I've got Chinese relatives by marriage; and I've been told that in at least some areas cheese isn't eaten and is considered rather repulsive.

It's a big country, of course, with a lot of different cuisines; and a Chinese restaurant in the USA may be doing something different from any of them. But demanding that a specific Chinese restaurant produce cheese may be kind of like demanding that an American diner produce thousand-year-old eggs.

Sue 01 October 2018 04:57 PM

I guess what it comes down to is it may not be rude to ask but it's bloody rude to insist! If you are dining out with a picky child you would be well advised to bring along something he or she will eat if all else fails! I speak, sadly, from personal experience on this one!

WildaBeast 01 October 2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1988576)
I've been told that in at least some areas cheese isn't eaten and is considered rather repulsive.

That reminds me of an interview I heard on NPR a while back. I can't remember who their guest was but it seems like he had written a book about his experiences immigrating to the US from China as a child. In the excerpt he read on air he had been playing with some of the neighborhood kids and one of them invited him to his house for lunch or something along those lines. They served what to him seemed like (I'm paraphrasing) some weird mushy orange stuff that smelled like feet and to him seemed completely disgusting. The other kids were like "What? You've never had macaroni and cheese before?"

thorny locust 01 October 2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1988577)
I guess what it comes down to is it may not be rude to ask but it's bloody rude to insist!

I'll agree with that one; at whatever kind of restaurant, and whatever the kind of food that's requested.

Lainie 01 October 2018 06:08 PM

This was not a buffet, and no menu items include cheese or bread.

Sue 01 October 2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorny locust (Post 1988582)
I'll agree with that one; at whatever kind of restaurant, and whatever the kind of food that's requested.

I'd add including a private home to this. I totally understand allergies and dietary concerns but if you are in someone's house you really can't expect to be catered to for this unless you've already discussed your issues with your host beforehand. Obviously no one should expect you to just go ahead and eat something you are allergic to or otherwise choose not to eat for whatever reasons but getting snotty because someone doesn't have acidophilus milk (or whatever) is not going to win you any friends.

Lainie 01 October 2018 06:14 PM

The restaurant is a step up from buffet/carryout type places, and is an institution in the suburb where it's located -- been there for decades, run by the same family. The food it serves is not doubt Americanized, bu the menu doesn't include obviously non-Chinese items.

crocoduck_hunter 01 October 2018 06:17 PM

Were there even any parts of China where it was traditional to eat dairy products before European colonizing of Asia began? The only cultures I can think off off the top of my head that consumed dairy products are Mongolians (horse milk) and Tibet and Nepal (yak milk/butter).

Sue 01 October 2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1988585)
The restaurant is a step up from buffet/carryout type places, and is an institution in the suburb where it's located -- been there for decades, run by the same family. The food it serves is not doubt Americanized, bu the menu doesn't include obviously non-Chinese items.

If they've eaten there before no excuses but if they haven't I'd cut them some slack at least on the asking side of things. Doesn't hurt to ask. The insisting side of things, not so much!