snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Rantidote (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Things you shouldn't have to tell people (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96974)

Mouse 16 January 2019 02:32 AM

If they want to do that, then why not just invite strippers to their funerals, which is something Iíve heard about the Chinese doing?

crocoduck_hunter 16 January 2019 03:00 AM

I'm just wondering why police officers from all over the country needed to attend that funeral.

dfresh 16 January 2019 01:41 PM

Police tend to attend police funerals. I think they like to since it shows that they have a hard, dangerous job protecting us from criminals, and so we should increase their funding. A big deal was made about this police officer dying on duty, and he was a hero. Funny how when my co-worker died of a heart attack at work, he wasn't a hero. He was just a poor guy who probably should have exercised more, and not smoked.

Beachlife! 16 January 2019 02:22 PM

I would think that if you asked a police officer why he/she attended the funeral of another officer they would give a very different reason.

GenYus234 16 January 2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 1994633)
If they want to do that, then why not just invite strippers to their funerals...

Would they be called pall dancers?

DawnStorm 16 January 2019 03:35 PM

To all of those calling Local Talk Show: I'm pretty sure none of you would like working without pay! It's OK to sit on your high horse and poo-poo the federal workers, but guess what--they have bills to pay too. The schadenfreude is running high today!
Remember it's all fun and games until the collection agencies start calling.

DawnStorm 17 January 2019 12:29 PM

To the creators of the ESL workbook I'm using: Last evening, my student and I started Unit 9: Daily Living. The scenario is apartment residents having various issues with their units and calling the building manager who advises the resident(s) to call (for instance) a plumber. Uh, apartment dwellers don't normally have to do that! That's up to the landlord/building manager. :duh:

ASL 17 January 2019 03:35 PM

Do we know for certain that the publisher isn't also a slum lord trying to condition potential future tenants to expect to arrange (and pay for) their own repairs so he can save on maintenance?

DawnStorm 17 January 2019 04:04 PM

Hmmm, could be! :lol:

Esprise Me 17 January 2019 04:35 PM

I used to teach ESL, and I was continually amazed at how poorly-written the dialogues in the textbooks were. Stilted, illogical, not to mention excruciatingly dull--I started writing my own, they were so bad. I thought the same thing when I was taking high school Spanish and the textbook authors thought, for example, that a realistic premise for a conversation between a teenage girl and her grandfather was the girl asking him what he thought of "today's youth" and listening raptly as he rattled off complaints about her generation. That one was so bad I had trouble comprehending it; I twisted myself in knots trying to figure out if "la juventud actual" was a band or something.

DawnStorm 17 January 2019 05:04 PM

You're right about the stilted part. So far, the conversations have at least been realistic--people talking about their kids, people going furniture shopping, jobs, etc. Then we get to Unit 9 and hello! :eek: Who let the slumlord in???
My student lives in an apartment, and I asked her who she called when there was an issue. The building manager of course! :duh:
This is an improvement over the old curriculum that featured teens getting together for card games and people sitting down and actually writing letters. :lol: I think the literacy council is sending those books off to some third world country so people in that country can see how Americans live in the second decade of the 21st century. :p

ETA: the apartment building in Unit 9 has some of the worse plumbing on record. :lol:

GenYus234 17 January 2019 05:13 PM

But how is the hovercraft?

DawnStorm 17 January 2019 05:15 PM

Haven't gotten to that part yet. :fish:

crocoduck_hunter 17 January 2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1994777)
But how is the hovercraft?

It has a surprising lack of eels.

crocoduck_hunter 18 January 2019 05:22 PM

TYSHTTP: Nobody drove you to vote for Trump. You're a white, heterosexual male. The things you claim are said about you aren't anywhere close to being as awful as women, non-Caucasians, and LGBT people have had to endure for generations. They don't hold a candle to what people just like you spent eight years saying about President Obama. So quit pretending that you were totally prepared to vote Democrat in the election until someone hurt your feelings, you goddamn snowflake!

katdixo 23 January 2019 03:03 PM

I once taught from a French textbook that had a dialogue with two characters discussing the great prices for overseas vacations and making plans to take one. Then one character says something to the effect of, "But we don't have enough money." The other says, "That's okay, we have the Carte Bleue!" (a French credit card). I am not kidding! I couldn't believe the book was advocating consumer debt!

DawnStorm 23 January 2019 03:55 PM

Hmmm, sounds like product placement to me.

katdixo 23 January 2019 04:16 PM

I don't really think it was product placement. It was otherwise a normal textbook without other mentions of products. But it was very weird!

And BTW, I did tell the class that this was not the right way to use credit cards.

DawnStorm 24 January 2019 01:42 PM

To the brake-riding, somewhat lugging in van driver I encountered yesterday: I strongly suggest that you get the driver's side outside mirror fixed so you can see oncoming cars! What's the point of having the structure if the mirror part is broken out? I also saw that your van had a home improvement business name on it--I don't think people would want to hire a business that had such shoddy vehicles.

Seaboe Muffinchucker 24 January 2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnStorm (Post 1995229)
I don't think people would want to hire a business that had such shoddy vehicles.

That's probably not what s/he drives when bidding for a job.

Seaboe