snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   The Bad Gastronomer (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   'They are like animals': French shoppers brawl over cut-price Nutella (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96399)

E. Q. Taft 26 January 2018 09:16 PM

'They are like animals': French shoppers brawl over cut-price Nutella

France has seen nothing like it: supermarket aisles of brawling customers throwing punches, pulling hair and shoving the elderly out of the way.

A decision by the Intermarché store chain to offer a hefty discount on jars of Nutella – France’s favourite chocolate spread – caused near riots in shops around the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ounted-nutella

dfresh 26 January 2018 10:39 PM

Wow, I mean Nutella is good, but not punch an old woman good. (I am down with punching old women for a lot of other reasons, however.)

Brad from Georgia 26 January 2018 10:46 PM

Can't abide the stuff myself. They can have my share.

Richard W 27 January 2018 02:26 AM

I loved this headline when I saw it earlier. For various reasons that I am currently either unable or unwilling to unpack.

Little Pink Pill 27 January 2018 11:08 PM

I’m with you Richard. Maybe it’s because it seems like the French never riot unless it involves food. Like cake. Or the lack thereof.

Sue 05 February 2018 08:39 PM

A few months ago I came across a recipe for brownies that used nutella. Never having bought the product but having seen it hyped everywhere for a while (well everywhere near me here in Ottawa anyway) I thought I'd try it out. Nope. Didn't even try it because the price of a small jar of the stuff was ridiculous :eek:! I guess if I was hooked and there was a massive sale I'd brawl too (hopefully wouldn't knock over or punch any little old ladies) but as things stand - no thanks. I don't see it making its way into my pantry anytime soon.

overyonder 05 February 2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1971180)
A few months ago I came across a recipe for brownies that used nutella. Never having bought the product but having seen it hyped everywhere for a while (well everywhere near me here in Ottawa anyway) I thought I'd try it out. Nope. Didn't even try it because the price of a small jar of the stuff was ridiculous :eek:! I guess if I was hooked and there was a massive sale I'd brawl too (hopefully wouldn't knock over or punch any little old ladies) but as things stand - no thanks. I don't see it making its way into my pantry anytime soon.

My mom's IGA in Quebec sells the 1kg jar for C$9.49. Kraft peanut butter is C$3.99 for 500g, so about C$8 for 1kg. Not a big difference, but chocolate/cacao is more expensive than peanuts.

The 26.5oz jar in the US is US$4.98, so about US$6 for 1kg.

I sometimes buy the Aldi brand. Cheaper but not quite as good.

OY

Sue 05 February 2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overyonder (Post 1971184)
My mom's IGA in Quebec sells the 1kg jar for C$9.49. Kraft peanut butter is C$3.99 for 500g, so about C$8 for 1kg. Not a big difference, but chocolate/cacao is more expensive than peanuts.

I guess if I was going to use it the way I would use peanut butter I might not have been as negative about buying it. As it was the small jar I saw was the amount I would have needed to make the brownies. If one ingredient costs me more than buying a pan of brownies ready-made I'm going to think twice. Maybe even thrice :lol:.

Errata 05 February 2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overyonder (Post 1971184)
The 26.5oz jar in the US is US$4.98, so about US$6 for 1kg.

Which is like 1 cent per 8 calories worth. Nuts and chocolate are both calorie dense, so a little goes a long way. $2.50 to meet the daily caloric requirements of a typical adult is objectively not all that expensive of an ingredient. The brownie recipe must have been very decadent or a large serving.

I usually only have Nutella as a crepe filling, and one jar will make a lot of crepes. With sliced banana and real whipped cream (not from a can).

Little Pink Pill 05 February 2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 1971192)
If one ingredient costs me more than buying a pan of brownies ready-made I'm going to think twice. Maybe even thrice :lol:.

It was a wise choice. Better not to start the addiction in the first place than try to kick the habit later.