snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   We've Got Mail (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   If you'd read the article first, you wouldn't sound like a fool now (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=2128)

snopes 25 January 2007 04:13 AM

If you'd read the article first, you wouldn't sound like a fool now
 
Comment: If you did a little research you'd find that Niagara falls was
indeed "shut-off" at one point. I don't have the dates, etc since "that's
not my job" like it is (supposedly) yours. Jesus, i just lost all kinds of
respect for your site.

Amigone201 25 January 2007 04:17 AM

This reminds me. I haven't forgotten my promise to you guys (and to myself) to get some shots of an iced-over Niagara Falls. I'm going up there on Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to do it then.

Sorry, what? The commenter? Oh, yeah, he's a moron.

snopes 25 January 2007 10:18 AM

Comment: Your article "The Enemy Within" about Barack Obama is SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP!!! Obviously the author of the article has a prejudice against the muslim faith. Extremists exist in every religion, not just the muslim religion. You should stop allowing filthy lies to ruin your website and concentrate on the issues each Presidential candidate is talking about.

snopes 26 January 2007 02:22 AM

Comment: I'd like to apologize to Snopes for the rude email I sent the
other day. Your response was correct. I read only the top portion "The
Enemy Within!" and assumed the whole page was a smear on Barack Obama. I
should have read it completely. The summary corrects the false statements
made in the article.

Again, I apologize.

Hillary K. 26 January 2007 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 38602)
Comment: I'd like to apologize to Snopes for the rude email I sent the
other day. Your response was correct. I read only the top portion "The
Enemy Within!" and assumed the whole page was a smear on Barack Obama. I
should have read it completely. The summary corrects the false statements
made in the article.

Again, I apologize.

What do you know. They CAN be taught sometimes.

Hillary "has net access once more!" K.

snopes 26 January 2007 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillary K. (Post 38652)
What do you know. They CAN be taught sometimes.

Mind you, her first response to correction was "bite me!", and her second response was "On second thought, don't. I don't want rabies."

- snopes

rockland6674 26 January 2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 38657)
Mind you, her first response to correction was "bite me!", and her second response was "On second thought, don't. I don't want rabies."

- snopes

"Would you like salt, pepper or ketchup with your foot?"

Hillary K. 26 January 2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 38657)
Mind you, her first response to correction was "bite me!", and her second response was "On second thought, don't. I don't want rabies."

- snopes

I supposed it's a start...

Hillary "lowered expectations" K.

snopes 18 February 2007 09:52 PM

Comment: I was wondering how snopes.com bills itself? Fact-based or
opinion-based? I was directed to your site to debunk certain urban
legends, conventional wisdom, etc with solid research and facts behind it.
However, I have noticed commentary and word parsing to, I assume, present
a particular point of view. The most recent example I experienced being
the article on the democrats comments around WMD and the author's note
regarding Bush's oil buddies. Though I assume the quotes are accurate on
their face, the conclusion formed in the form of this author's note is
certainly not clear. After all, our government as a whole believed there
once existed (borne out by horrid evidence) and were still weapons of mass
destruction in Iraq. Our intelligence all comes from the same place. How
that information was used (honestly or otherwise) by the administration in
the buildup to war is an open question without proof one way or the other.
In other words, it is pure conjecture to say that Bush didn't go to war
with oil on the brain. I don't know if that is the case, but you
certainly can't know either.

To maintain the integrity of your site, I would recommend keeping
commentary out as much as possible and focus on reporting fact - if that
is your truly your aim.

---------------------------

Comment: RETRACTION: I recently sent you an email questioning commentary
you used in your articles. I see that you were only providing an example
of someone's opinion and then dissecting it later in the example I gave.
My questions has been answered. Thanks for the good info!

snopes 12 March 2007 04:21 AM

Comment: On the Johnson & Johnson thermometer entry, the Snopes article
only indicates that the thermometers are not personally tested. It does
NOT indicate whether the instructions indicate that they are. Nor does it
indicate that the information comes from J&J. For all the reader knows,
the response is simply made up.

I am intersted in hearing more.

snopes 12 March 2007 10:52 PM

Comment: I was reading your 9-11 page and noticed you listed the Clear
Channel ban of certain songs after 9-11 as false. I work in radio and
worked at a station tied in with Clear Channel at that time. I worked
directly for Clear Channel since then and that program director lied to
you. I have seen the list myself from the program director where I worked
at when the terrorist attacks happened and since the official memo from
the station I went to work for in 2006 that was one in a cluster of
stations for Clear Channel in Cookeville, Tennessee. The list was very
real.

snopes 16 April 2007 05:37 AM

Comment: I've now tried THREE TIMES to send a comment (on the REGULAR web site), but it continues to think I'm doing a SEARCH and gives me a message telling me to search . . . ! BOTTOM LINE: BREAST CANCER STAMP NEEDS TO BE UPDATED since I purchased them today so they ARE available AND this web site needs some work on the "contact us" section!

snopes 19 April 2007 06:57 AM

Referred by: http://www.snopes.com/glurge/twoquestions.asp

Comment: Acording to Professor Richard Dawkins of Oxford University, your
information about Beethoven and abortion is completely false.
"The truth is that Ludwig Van Beethoven was neither the ninth child nor
the fifth child of his parents. He was the eldest-strictly the number two,
but his elder sibling died in infancy, as was common in those days, and
was not, so far as is known, blind or deaf or dumb or mentally retarded.
There is no evidence that either of his parents had syphilis, although it
is true that his mother eventually died of tuberculosis. There was a lot
of it about at the time."

snopes 06 May 2007 05:17 AM

Comment: Regarding your recent article on CFLs, you cite Joseph Farah and
his WorldNetDaily website as sources. Farah and his site are well known
ultra-conservative mouthpieces and very few people outside the far right
consider them journalistically reputable. Yet your article takes their
article at face value.

snopes 12 May 2007 01:31 AM

Comment: I am writing in regards to a portion of the article - "Hostage
Negotiations". Specifically, the prison part about making it sound like a
vacation resort. If you want facts, ask. Don't assume. I don't know if
that whole story or just the pictures were from the Daily whatever. So if
it was you can feel free to forward this message.
Prisoners are seldom found "not guilty", come on now. Medical treatment
may be free, but far from good. For women, they are NOT always close to
home and the food is NOT fit for a king! The lawyers are also no longer
free. There is NO cable T.V. and you DO NOT get a degree. A GED and
college certificate maybe, but no degree. So get the facts straight
please. Some of the people there, SHOULD very well be there. Some however,
should be re-evaluated for the reason they are there. Everyone should pay
for the crime they do. But how about the state being consistent in the
sentencing? This isn't black and white. Get information before spouting
off at the mouth.

snopes 12 May 2007 05:38 PM

Comment: In your most recent news update, you have this item labeled TRUE.

Photographs show Asian law enforcement officials negotiating with (and shooting) a suspect who is holding children hostage.

"It is in fact, FALSE, the last line of the article states...In Japan -- They keep their expenses and time to a minimum! No wonder their cars cost less."

The names, places and writing in the picture are Chinese.

zman977 15 May 2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 94622)
Comment: I was reading your 9-11 page and noticed you listed the Clear
Channel ban of certain songs after 9-11 as false. I work in radio and
worked at a station tied in with Clear Channel at that time. I worked
directly for Clear Channel since then and that program director lied to
you. I have seen the list myself from the program director where I worked
at when the terrorist attacks happened and since the official memo from
the station I went to work for in 2006 that was one in a cluster of
stations for Clear Channel in Cookeville, Tennessee. The list was very
real.



It was not a list of banned songs, it was a list of songs stations might want to avoid playing but there was no banned song list. If this person really worked in radio he'd know that.

FullMetal 15 May 2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman977 (Post 174583)
It was not a list of banned songs, it was a list of songs stations might want to avoid playing but there was no banned song list. If this person really worked in radio he'd know that.

true, just like a lot of radio stations stoped playing "New Orleans is sinking" after Katrina. some songs are just not appropriate.

KingDavid8 16 May 2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullMetal (Post 174968)
true, just like a lot of radio stations stoped playing "New Orleans is sinking" after Katrina. some songs are just not appropriate.

A bit off-topic, but speaking of inappropriate...my brother's in a band and at a show soon after Katrina, they were singing "House of the Rising Sun". After the line, "There is a house in New Orleans", someone in the audience shouted, "not anymore!".

David

snopes 28 May 2007 09:24 PM

Comment: After reading the articles on disney's " hidden message" videos,
I was disappointed. I have seen the perversions, and you'd better believe
they exist! Some of your articles said the claims weren't true. Disney has
been such a disgrace in this way. Don't give them credit where it isn't
due! For example, in the movie "The Lion King," the word sex is spelled
out in a cloud of dust. Your article said a little boy saw that, and told
his mom. The point is not whether or not the boy should or should not have
been able to have read that word. The real concern is that the messages
are there for the targeted crowd...children! The pervs at disney who draw
these things up need to be fired. Like I said, I've seen these hidden
messages for myself, so your 'false' claims are...false!

snopes 26 June 2007 06:57 PM

Referred by: http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/thermometer.asp

Comment: "Every Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson
is personally tested"

I hate to ruin a good joke, but I work at Johnson & Johnson and I can
honestly tell you that each rectal thermometer is not personally tested
(or shall we say inserted up the wah-zoo) in the way that you are
thinking.

Thermometers are randomly sampled and tested to ensure that they comply
with the thermal range indicated on the glass and that they are calibrated
to their operational range.
The Thermometers are randomly sampled and tested for glass shatter
resistance, as this is a destructive test it is not performed on 100% of
the product, just a representative sample size.
The testing methodology subjects the Thermometers to greater scrutiny and
empirical qualification acceptance than simply inserting it into a human
orifice and watching the temperature rise. Kind of thought provoking to
think how they would read the thermometer in that position anyway. Oh
well!

I am sure that there are other occupations out there that are really awful
and miserable, but the Quality Control Test Laboratory here at Johnson &
Johnson is not one of them.

snopes 01 July 2007 11:22 PM

Comment: RE: http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/email/leaving.asp


information is false.
was penned by chris kula (upright citizens brigade) 2 years ago

http://www.chriskula.com/2005/08/farewell-email.html

hope this helps

snopes 02 July 2007 01:17 AM

Comment: Bob Keeshan Captain Kangaroo did not fight in WW2 as he was too young the war ended in 1945 he was born in July of 1927

snopes 04 July 2007 06:04 AM

Comment: In the section about luck there is a false statement about a man
buying a motorcycle that belonged to Elvis. I believe that this man sold
the bike to Jay leno. Keep digging. I think it's true.

snopes 22 July 2007 07:29 AM

Comment: In your article about Dr. Pepper omitting "Under God" from the
pledge of alegiance you say that Pepsi has nothing to do with it. Dr.
Pepper is a soft drink manufactured by Pepsi

snopes 01 August 2007 07:46 AM

Comment: you people are not very observant! .. in God we trust is printed
on the edge of the new dollar coins ... Gezzz

Ieuan ab Arthur 01 August 2007 03:07 PM

Hi All:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 269275)
Comment: you people are not very observant! .. in God we trust is printed on the edge of the new dollar coins ... Gezzz

And if you'd actually bothered to read the article, you'd know that's what Snopes says ... Gezzz

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "But not a loonie" ab Arthur

snopes 01 August 2007 08:24 PM

Comment: The Article on Clyde Barrow writing a fan letter to Ford Motor
Company is currently on undetermined status. Well I could verify this, I
live in Dearborn, MI where Ford Motor Company World Headquarters is
located, as well as Henry Ford's Mansion, founder of Ford Motor Company.
Well Clyde Barrow did write a Letter, but it was directed to Henry Ford
himself, appreciating the T model car. The letter is currently preserved
and hangs in his Mansion, which has become a museum, located in Dearborn,
MI 48126. This story is true, and the status should change from
undetermined to true, and it should be corrected that the letter was
mailed to Henry Ford, and not his company.

robbiev 01 August 2007 08:36 PM

Man, are people complete morons?

Oh wait. Yes, they are.

snopes 01 August 2007 11:47 PM

Comment: With reference to the Walmart check scam:

I don't know if Walmart in Colorado is a test site or if this exists
throuhgout the US but Walmart no longer actually takes your check. They
run it through their system and your account is immediately debited and
then they give you back the actual check. This is very effective for
Walmart but a PIA for me personally. I no longer use checks at Walmart
but a credit card...let them pay another 2 or 3% for my inconvenience.

snopes 02 August 2007 03:49 AM

Comment: Bank of America issuing credit cards to illegals. Not a shred of
truth. The media and your site can publish articles with no reprocussion.
It is not true and never has been true.

To obtain the card you must be a BANK customer and meet all the
guidelines. Tax ID or Social security number.

Then you can get the card.......Call the bank......in Charlotte NC and ask

I thought your site would have done this first...NO just like the rest of
the media. Print what you want and never do your home work!!!!

Karmyn 02 August 2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 270174)
Comment: The Article on Clyde Barrow writing a fan letter to Ford Motor
Company is currently on undetermined status. Well I could verify this, I
live in Dearborn, MI where Ford Motor Company World Headquarters is
located, as well as Henry Ford's Mansion, founder of Ford Motor Company.
Well Clyde Barrow did write a Letter, but it was directed to Henry Ford
himself, appreciating the T model car. The letter is currently preserved
and hangs in his Mansion, which has become a museum, located in Dearborn,
MI 48126. This story is true, and the status should change from
undetermined to true, and it should be corrected that the letter was
mailed to Henry Ford, and not his company.

The Texas Prison Museum has a copy of the letter, but to my knowledge it is not currently on display. Heard it from the curator himself.

snopes 02 August 2007 11:05 PM

Comment: You can't even take criticism and have obviously disregarded my
coin edge comments. Double shame on you.

snopes 02 August 2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

You can't even take criticism and have obviously disregarded my coin edge comments. Double shame on you.
Oh, yeah? Well, double dumb-ass on you, moron!

- snopes

Chloe 02 August 2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 272252)
Oh, yeah? Well, double dumb-ass on you, moron!

- snopes

Shhhhhh. Here, you need this. Now lie down and don't read any more mail until the silly people go away...

snopes 06 August 2007 08:11 PM

Comment: what are you smoking - let me tell you that i clicked on the link
displayed in the email sent to me from a .edu source suggesting i view a
virtual card and was promptly infected with a trojan. perhaps you should
check your facts before writing rubbish on the internet!!! i'll bet that
the invitation email - one of which was also sent to me and which i
deleted off the server was a virus ---- maybe you're not so smart!!!

snopes 18 October 2007 06:34 AM

Comment: Your assessment located on
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp is misleading. The
deadline to register with the Do Not Call registry is false. However, two
important items are not false:
1. The Do Not Call registry DOES allow you to register your mobile phone
number.
2. Telemarketers are NOT prohibited from calling your mobile phone.

snopes 21 October 2007 08:15 PM

Referred by: http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/canada.asp

Comment: What you are doing in this article is the opinion of a few
people. Why don't you now print the polls of all the people in Canada
where they consider what they value most in the country by a wide margin
is their health care. It is way above their natural beauty and anything
else. You are such a joke I can't beleive anything you put out. Someone
sent this to me. What a bunch of big money paid off jokers. Read your
stupid article and turn it over to a reliable reviewer.

snopes 29 October 2007 09:04 PM

Comment: I don't know who told you this was not so. I personally know that Citgo is owned by the President of Venezuela and he does support terrorism. I work for an organization that keeps check for our government on these matters. You need to check out your sources closer. This could be dangerous printing false info to people that believe what you say is the gospel.

Canuckistan 29 October 2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 381031)
I personally know that Citgo is owned by the President of Venezuela and he does support terrorism.

I personally know that you're a moron. And, given this email, I'm much more inclined to believe my source than yours.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.