snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Profile information (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=35670)

snopes 09 September 2008 11:38 PM

Profile information

Despite the long-standing rules, a number of people on this board -- including some long-time members -- still have falsified information in their profiles.

A word to the wise: You aren't going to get any private warnings or second-chance opportunities to fix up your profiles before you get banned. You'd best take care of things now while you still have the chance.

- snopes

Aimee Evilpixie 09 September 2008 11:43 PM

Quick question: FirstName LastInitial and FirstInitial LastName are both acceptable, right?

snopes 09 September 2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie (Post 736181)
Quick question: FirstName LastInitial and FirstInitial LastName are both acceptable, right?

Yes, they are (although the former is preferable).

- snopes

Menolly 10 September 2008 12:06 AM

Just checked mine, just to be sure. Wow, I've aged two years since I last checked this page. Time flies doesn't it?

This was truly funny, I never noticed it before. Under the age and birthday section: Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Salamander 10 September 2008 12:21 AM

I checked and I'm pretty sure I'm okay. I know that the request is for city/country for people outside the US but I figured that since my state includes the name of my country I'm in the clear for using city/state.

Ana Ng 10 September 2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 736182)
Yes, they are (although the former is preferable).

- snopes

Ack! Scary, why?!?

>peeks out the window<

RivkahChaya 10 September 2008 12:26 AM

Is a nickname instead or your formal first name OK, if that's what you're generally known as?

snopes 10 September 2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menolly (Post 736198)
Just checked mine, just to be sure. Wow, I've aged two years since I last checked this page. Time flies doesn't it?

I should mention that nobody need worry about getting banned for not updating the age field in his/her profile immediately after every birthday. As long as the age information was accurate at the time you put it in your profile, that's good enough.

- snopes

Brad from Georgia 10 September 2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RivkahChaya (Post 736212)
Is a nickname instead or your formal first name OK, if that's what you're generally known as?

I hope so. I never use my first name, and nobody calls me Bradley but my mum.

snopes 10 September 2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ana Ng (Post 736209)
Ack! Scary, why?!?

Because listing a first name helps other posters make a reasonable guess at your gender if it's not obvious from the context of your posts.

- snopes

Hapax Legomena 10 September 2008 12:34 AM

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that first name only and state only were also acceptable. I do have my first name and last initial but have always had only my state as I saw many others had--is the city also required?

Ana Ng 10 September 2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 736215)
Because listing a first name helps other posters make a reasonable guess at your gender if it's not obvious from the context of your posts.

- snopes

Sorry, I read that as "we prefer you don't use your entire last name, rather a last initial" and I thought I was in mortal danger. :lol:

Catalyst 10 September 2008 12:44 AM

That's what I answer the phone at work as, I swear!:eek:

Jay Tea 10 September 2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia (Post 736214)
I hope so. I never use my first name, and nobody calls me Bradley but my mum.

..and me, Bradley ;)

Mr. Furious 10 September 2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapax Legomena (Post 736217)
I do have my first name and last initial but have always had only my state as I saw many others had--is the city also required?

My memory may be faulty, but I also thought that state only was acceptable. If it's not, I'd like to stay as non-specific as possible (e.g. region of the state or county rather than town).

Eve MG 10 September 2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Furious (Post 736227)
My memory may be faulty, but I also thought that state only was acceptable. If it's not, I'd like to stay as non-specific as possible (e.g. region of the state or county rather than town).

I have "Upstate NY" as my location, and I remember last time this came up that I got the impression it's okay to use that.

snopes 10 September 2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Furious (Post 736227)
My memory may be faulty, but I also thought that state only was acceptable.

You need to have some kind of geographical descriptor that's more specific than just the name of the country in which you live. The preferred form is city/state or city/country, but entries such as "Michigan," "British Columbia," "New South Wales, Australia" or "West Sussex, UK" are acceptable.

- snopes

Elbe 10 September 2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 736246)
You need to have some kind of geographical descriptor that's more specific than just the name of the country in which you live. The preferred form is city/state or city/country, but entries such as "Michigan," "British Columbia," "New South Wales, Australia" or "West Sussex, UK" are acceptable.

- snopes

While I'm obviously using my actual town name, I used to use "Near a man named Leroy Brown" and thought that it might be acceptable. It's somewhat specific, but only if you're familiar with the Jim Croce song. I don't really feel any desire to go back to it, but would it have been ok to use?

snopes 10 September 2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elbe (Post 736253)
While I'm obviously using my actual town name, I used to use "Near a man named Leroy Brown" and thought that it might be acceptable. It's somewhat specific, but only if you're familiar with the Jim Croce song. I don't really feel any desire to go back to it, but would it have been ok to use?

No, it's not. Your profile information needs to be straightforward, not something that requires the reader to understand pop culture references.

- snopes

Hyper Squirrel 10 September 2008 02:15 AM

Is it all right to just use your first name in your profile, or is it neccessary to add last name/initial?