snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Fauxtography (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Russian canned Herring Beastie (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=5565)

Hypno Toad 21 March 2007 12:54 PM

Russian canned Herring Beastie

Anyone have any idea what this is?

wild1 21 March 2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 105194)
Anyone have any idea what this is?

It's gross, Thanks for asking.

:fish:

I can not imaging anything with that much flesh left on it being sold as a canned good. As usual (and most likley) I may be wrong but.........EWWW!!!

Richard W 21 March 2007 01:04 PM

Whatever it is, I don't believe they found it in the tin... Why is there no photo where they take it out so you can get a proper look at it?

It looks like one of the props from that film eXistenZ, where Jude Law builds a gun out of all sorts of horrible mutant fish parts in a computer game simulation.

mamalocowolf 21 March 2007 01:04 PM

looks some how prehistoric yuck

Richard W 21 March 2007 01:08 PM

Somebody a bit further down that thread reckons it's part of a salmon's jaw, and gave this link for comparison:

http://www.pbase.com/pogopens/image/32562344

That does seem plausible, since that looks more like a tin of salmon than a tin of herring to me. Still, questionable as to whether it was really in the tin, and if not, the nature of the tin is a moot point.

Lancastrian 21 March 2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard W (Post 105203)
It looks like one of the props from that film eXistenZ, where Jude Law builds a gun out of all sorts of horrible mutant fish parts in a computer game simulation.

That sounds like a film I need to see.

pinqy 21 March 2007 03:16 PM

The can does say "herring." What made me giggle was that it also says "Product ready for use," and I just had to wonder what use that was.

pinqy

Beachlife! 21 March 2007 03:17 PM

Um, a fox with mange? Not.

Richard W 21 March 2007 03:29 PM

This page has links to drawings of various species of herring. It could be a herring jawbone too, probably - I'm not an expert.

(edit)
Quote:

The true herrings (Clupeidae) are soft-finned fishes wholly lacking spines, with one short dorsal fin, deeply forked tails, ventral fins situated on the abdomen far behind the pectorals, teeth small or lacking in adults
Maybe not a herring then...

One reason it looks freaky is that that appears to be the lower jaw of whatever it is, but they've positioned it so that you assume it's an upper jaw. It does look like the cooked lower jaw of some sort of fish, so it's plausible that it was really found in a can of herring, or that somebody had some fish parts lying around and decided to pretend it had been. I reckon the latter is still more likely, especially if it isn't the same type of fish as in the tin.

BringTheNoise 21 March 2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancastrian (Post 105336)
That sounds like a film I need to see.

Not really. It's rubbish - and it's has Jude Law in it!

Lancastrian 21 March 2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringTheNoise (Post 105425)
Not really. It's rubbish - and it's has Jude Law in it!

Bad films are wonderful - movie night is not complete without a chorus of mockery!

Izzy Quigley 21 March 2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinqy (Post 105370)
The can does say "herring." What made me giggle was that it also says "Product ready for use," and I just had to wonder what use that was.

pinqy

To cut down the mightiest tree in the forest, naturally.

Joostik 22 March 2007 07:55 AM

In Russia, canned herring eats you.

Anyte 23 March 2007 10:32 PM

Don't know what it is, other than teeth, but in the second picture, there appears to be one on the edge of the can and one inside. Yuck.

Dreams of Thinking Machines 23 March 2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joostik (Post 106621)
In Russia, canned herring eats you.

Yes! I've been telling people that things work like this in Russia for years.