snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Trump corrects his quote, says misspoke on Russian meddling (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=96822)

ChasFink 17 July 2018 08:18 PM

Trump corrects his quote, says misspoke on Russian meddling

Trump corrects his quote, says misspoke on Russian meddling
(This was updated from a story linked in another thread.)

Looks like the impossible just happened - Trump admits a mistake.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Blistered by bipartisan condemnation of his embrace of a longtime U.S. enemy, President Donald Trump sought Tuesday to “clarify” his public undermining of American intelligence agencies, saying he had misspoken when he said he saw no reason to believe Russia had interfered in the 2016 U.S. election.

“The sentence should have been, ‘I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t, or why it wouldn’t be Russia” instead of “why it would,” Trump said, in a rare admission of error by the bombastic U.S. leader. His comment came — amid rising rebuke by his own party — about 27 hours after his original, widely reported statement, which he made at a Monday summit in Helsinki standing alongside Russian President Vladimir Putin.
:eek:

Errata 17 July 2018 09:14 PM

Sure, that checks out. Totally makes sense within the context and tenor of all of his other remarks and the situation. Nobody is tougher on Putin than Trump, believe me! The lying press don't want you to know that.

GenYus234 17 July 2018 09:25 PM

I know it often takes me 27 hours to issue a correction when my widely reported statements contain a major error that means the exact opposite of what I meant to say.

ETA: And 27 hours is certainly not a length of time that you'd expect to pass before someone figured out that his remarks and the condemnation wouldn't disappear from the normally fast news cycle.

Darth Credence 17 July 2018 09:29 PM

If you misspeak, then the entire quote will make more sense if the incorrect words are replaced by the correct words. His statement makes less sense if he meant to say "wouldn't" instead of "would". He said what he meant, and is backtracking now.
Of course, any backtracking by him is unusual, and clearly the bipartisan condemnation of his remarks got to him. Of course, I fully expect the Republicans in Congress to embrace his story of misspeaking, and will declare that everything is fine again.

Errata 17 July 2018 09:30 PM

I'm enjoying seeing the exact same people who were supporting his comment yesterday now supporting precisely the opposite just a few hours later.
Yesterday: We were always at war with Eurasia.
Today: We were always at war with Eastasia.

GenYus234 17 July 2018 09:33 PM

If we look at the timeline of his retraction, are we going to find it came less than an hour after Fox and Friends or such condemned his original, "erroneous" statement?

ASL 17 July 2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Errata (Post 1983503)
Yesterday: thought crime.
Today: We were always at war with Eastasia.

There, fixed it for you.

E. Q. Taft 17 July 2018 11:10 PM

President Trump does a great job and doesn’t let America down at all

As a friend of mine would say: Humor!

DawnStorm 18 July 2018 11:38 AM

Reminds me of a Happy Days episode where Fonzie could not admit that he wrong about something.
The Fonz was wr-- Rinse and repeat.

GenYus--I have that problem too. :lol:

ChasFink 18 July 2018 03:40 PM

After watching the news coverage of this, I'm fascinated (but not very surprised) that the man can't even admit a mistake without lying about it. It's also painful watching him read something like this. He looks like a shock jock who's reluctantly forced to read a retraction for insulting a celebrity because he'll get fired if he doesn't.

And he added "there was no collusion" to his script by hand. He says "no collusion" the way Rudy said "9/11" at every turn when he was running. Does he not realize this isn't about collusion with the election interference, but about support now for the entities responsible for the interference?

And how funny was it that the lights went out when he was talking about the intelligence community?

Richard W 18 July 2018 10:30 PM

Trump says Russia no longer targeting US, contradicting intelligence chief

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-targeting-us

Quote:

When asked by reporters at the start of a cabinet meeting whether he believed Russia was “still targeting the US”, Trump responded: “No.”
However:

Quote:

The White House swiftly sought to clean up Trump’s comments by claiming the president was saying “no” to taking questions from reporters.

GenYus234 18 July 2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

In an interview with CBS later on Wednesday, Trump said he holds Putin responsible for Russian meddling and told the leader not to interfere again.

Trump said he was “very strong on the fact that we can’t have meddling – we can’t have any of that.”

“I let him know we can’t have this, we’re not going to have it, and that’s the way it’s going to be,” Trump added.
Oh, well, I guess that settles that.

jimmy101_again 19 July 2018 03:06 AM

After listening to the non-correcting correction I have no idea what he said. I believe that strategy is called "dazzle".

ChasFink 19 July 2018 12:35 PM

Maybe Trump is just stressed out. He should go to Ireland in the UK to relax. I understand he has property there.

GenYus234 19 July 2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy101_again (Post 1983631)
After listening to the non-correcting correction I have no idea what he said. I believe that strategy is called "dazzle".

I think you are using the wrong side of the option.

(If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull#$&@.)

jimmy101_again 19 July 2018 04:08 PM

Actually I was thinking more of dazzle camouflage. Get enough things going in different directions and the viewer has no idea what they are looking at.
https://r.hswstatic.com/w_907/gif/po...mo-600x350.jpgThat's a pretty good visual representation of the Turnip's non-correcting correction.

GenYus234 19 July 2018 05:31 PM

Or we could go with the immortal bard:
"it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

E. Q. Taft 19 July 2018 07:25 PM

I'm Bill Browder. Here's the Biggest Mistake Putin Made When Trying to Get Access to Me Through Trump

Quote:

I wasn’t watching the Donald Trump–Vladimir Putin press conference from Helsinki. But when my phone started burning up with messages, I knew something was going on. I quickly discovered that Putin had mentioned me by name. No journalist had asked about me. He just brought me up out of the blue.

Putin offered to allow American investigators to interview the 12 Russian intelligence agents just indicted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller in exchange for allowing Russians to have access to me and those close to me. This is no idle threat. For the last ten years, I’ve been trying to avoid getting killed by Putin’s regime, and there already exists a trail of dead bodies connected to its desire to see me dead. Amazingly, Trump stood next to him, appearing to nod approvingly. He even later said that he considered it “an incredible offer.”

jimmy101_again 19 July 2018 08:03 PM

Now that is treason.

Bobcat Warrior 19 July 2018 08:27 PM

New York Times reports: Trump to Invite Putin to Washington

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

BW