snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Amusement Bark (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Stephen Colbert Defends Donald Trump Jokes After Controversy Erupted (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=95674)

Psihala 04 May 2017 04:13 PM

Stephen Colbert Defends Donald Trump Jokes After Controversy Erupted

After making a crude joke about President Donald Trump, "The Late Show" host Stephen Colbert addressed the controversy around his comments on Wednesday night.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/t...rupted-n754716

damian 06 May 2017 01:26 PM

It's hilarious that Trump supporters defend Trump's infamous faux pas as nothing more than locker room talk, but suddenly want Colbert thrown off TV. Can't have it both ways.

crocoduck_hunter 06 May 2017 04:15 PM

That's because Trump supporters are some of the most thin-skinned snowflakes on the planet.

Psihala 06 May 2017 08:10 PM

FCC to Investigate Stephen Colbertís Controversial Trump Joke: Chairman

The Federal Communications Commission will investigate late-night TV host Stephen Colbert and take "appropriate action" after receiving complaints about his controversial monologue earlier this week.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/t...airman-n755821

Mouse 07 May 2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1948691)
That's because Trump supporters are some of the most thin-skinned snowflakes on the planet.

It's the age-old rule: just as those who loudly rail against the Gays, inevitably turn out to be deeply closeted, those who talk loudly about how they're not afraid to tell it like it is and to heck with the consequences, will invariably be the thinnest-skinned mothereffers when faced with criticism.

E. Q. Taft 07 May 2017 06:00 AM

It's just particularly galling for Trump to appear to be angered by criticism considering everything he's had to say about the previous President and all his rivals in the campaign. Or it would be if he even pretended to have any principles or consistency; as it is, it's just....what I expect.

Avril 07 May 2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 1948707)
It's the age-old rule: just as those who loudly rail against the Gays, inevitably turn out to be deeply closeted

This old canard needs to die.

ASL 07 May 2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBC
Colbert angered some viewers for his monologue in which he made numerous jokes about Trump. Among them, he made reference to Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump engaging in oral sex. Colbert's mouth was blurred and his voice bleeped during part of the joke.

Some on social media found it to be homophobic, and called for him to be fired or for advertisers to boycott the CBS show.

This seems like the sort of complaint coughdrops would level. "It's not that I support Trump, it's just that our side's conduct has to be so ineffectually pure as to avoid any possible hint of scandal. Gosh golly gee wiz guys, we've got to get our liberal act together if we want to bring Trump supporters and the KKK around to our side!"

No offense coughdrops (if you're still reading the forum, that is).

Don Enrico 07 May 2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damian (Post 1948684)
It's hilarious that Trump supporters defend Trump's infamous faux pas as nothing more than locker room talk, but suddenly want Colbert thrown off TV. Can't have it both ways.

An "Alternative for Germany" politician lately called for "political correctness to be thrown on the garbage dump of history". Commenting on that, a TV comedian said "OK, let's end all political correctness! She's right about that, the Nazi sl*t!"

Both the politician ando her party asked for the comedian to be prosecuted.

Because if it protects others, it's political correctness. If it protects me, it's the law.

Mouse 08 May 2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1948726)
This old canard needs to die.

Sorry about that. I guess my original quote should be "People who loudly rail against the sex lives of others, will invariably turn out to have some incredibly scary skeletons in their closet." When it comes to career-ending scandals on the Christian Right, they are almost always involve sex. The Christian Right is willing to forgive a lot, but not if sex is involved.

Though maybe it can be more accurately and concisely worded as, "Those who scream the loudest about sin, usually have the most to hide."

Oh and ASL, I have no problem with calling out CD when he's actually said something stupid, calling him out in a thread when he hasn't said anything, feels just a little bit petty. I agree with what you've said about how he and others of his ilk apparently believe that the only proper pose for the Left to adopt is ineffectual moral purity, but still, let's wait for some actual blood in the water before we attack.

Lainie 08 May 2017 02:23 PM

Honestly, I think that's also just confirmation bias.

Dreams of Thinking Machines 08 May 2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colbert
**** holster

Anyone else find the casual promotion of gun paraphernalia incredibly problematic?

UEL 08 May 2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreams of Thinking Machines (Post 1948794)
Anyone else find the casual promotion of gun paraphernalia incredibly problematic?

Not really. Holster is used for many other things other than a pistol.

In my office I have a Blackberry holster (I don't use but I need to keep). I also have a multi-tool holster with my field equipment here. As well, my compass is in my compass holster.

I know of the phone holster, pager holster, in fact, just about everything I can imagine that is designed as a small case that can be carried is called a holster.

In short, I never viewed it as a weapon related thing.