snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   [Scottish Independence] Referendum Set (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=84736)

Andrew of Ware 20 September 2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryM (Post 1842893)
From what Nick Robinson [BBC political editor] was saying last night, Dundee and Glasgow normally have low election turnouts because they have a lot of working class people who are less likely to be engaged in politics and thus vote in elections. Working class people are also more likely to support independence, so we see the "yes" areas also being low turnout areas. In the run-up to polling day, the "yes" campaign were saying they had motivated many people who had never voted before to vote "yes", but it looks like they didn't do that as well as they'd hoped. That's why when the Dundee result came in as 57% voting "yes" but only 78% turn-out it wasn't the big win the "yes" side needed.

Thanks Gary. I did wonder if it had anything to do with the type of voter. You can see why Salmond was anxious to get 16 and 17 year olds included in the voting. Apparently 71% of them voted 'Yes' (according to an opinion poll) - but when the 16 - 24 age group are taken as a whole it is only 51% 'Yes'. This and many other statistical nuggets can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-29255449

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebochan (Post 1842894)
Got a buddy back in Florida who hails from Glasgow who's been super bummed all day.

Opinion polls taken prior to the vote found that people born in Scotland but now living in rUK (and therefore not eligible to vote) were very much against independence. People born in the rUK but now living in Scotland (and therefore eligible to vote) also tended to be anti-independence. Celebrities living abroad who wanted independence - such as Sean Connery - were given short thrift by people in the UK - 'Well if you like Scotland so much then why don't you live there?'

I presume your friend is not a celebrity so, of course, there are many reasons why these people want to/have to live abroad.

Rebochan 20 September 2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware (Post 1842902)
I presume your friend is not a celebrity so, of course, there are many reasons why these people want to/have to live abroad.

His personal situation is more than a bit complicated, but regardless he wasn't able to vote due to his long-term Florida residency :lol:

But to me, it's not like that doesn't entitle him to an opinion on the vote itself or the results. If I had a home country I wasn't living in but still cared about it, I know I'd be personally invested!

....I just hop all over the same country instead ;)

GaryM 20 September 2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware (Post 1842902)
This and many other statistical nuggets can be found here ...

The one that surprised me was how little the voting seemed to be along party lines. Three of the four areas that voted "yes" were areas that elected Labour candidates. Angus, which is the rural area surrounding Dundee, has an SNP-majority local government, an SNP member of parliament and two SNP members of the Scottish parliament and it voted against independence by 56% to 44%.

Dasla 20 September 2014 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebochan (Post 1842906)
His personal situation is more than a bit complicated, but regardless he wasn't able to vote due to his long-term Florida residency :lol:

But to me, it's not like that doesn't entitle him to an opinion on the vote itself or the results. If I had a home country I wasn't living in but still cared about it, I know I'd be personally invested!

....I just hop all over the same country instead ;)

A workmate from Scotland was, I think, hoping for a yes vote but resigned to the no vote. (and I think rather expecting it). I remember a conversation she on the birth of Prince George that she had "Move here to get away from them (the royal family)" She was partly joking. Still there are many reason that people leave their country of birth.

Embra 20 September 2014 06:40 PM

I think the "vow" made by the 3 main Westminster parties towards the close of the campaign had a big effect. If devo-max had been on the paper from the beginning, the consensus seems to be that it would have been by far the most popular choice.

As it stands now, there is no guarantee of what is on offer, and a lot of jostling in store as the UK-wide constitution is examined. It's right that this happens, but it shouldn't delay or dilute delivery on the promises that effectively won the referendum.

I really hope that Cameron is not seriously thinking this can all be pencilled in before the general election.

ETA: I didn't have a vote but my general experience of Scots I know matches what Andrew says: those living in England were "No" and those in Scotland were "Yes". Our house must be a bit of an anomaly. Mind you I do live in rock-solid Tory-land, so it's more likely that people in my area are right-of-centre, if that makes a difference.

ETA2: There is a bit of a social media campaign brewing for Yes folk to stop paying their TV licence, in protest at BBC bias in reporting the referendum campaign.