snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   We've Got Mail (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Thanks for ranting! (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=1834)

snopes 20 January 2007 06:57 PM

Thanks for ranting!
 
Comment: I used to work in a retirement home. The hispanics there all
claimed 14 on their W-4's.
They loved to brag about it. They said that when contacted by the
IRS---they were told that they had to provide SS#'s. The hispanics only
had to state that the individuals that they supported lived in Mexico and
did not have SS#.
The IRS did not reply back. They all continue to claim 14 dependents,
thus not paying their "fair" share of taxes.

(O and most use their children's SS#'s)

I wrote five letters to area government officials and was told that this
is impossible and never happened. The HR person at the retirement center
assured me that it did.

WHO KNOWS.
I left, I hated the brazen attitudes of these people. They had no fear.

snopes 20 January 2007 06:58 PM

Comment: Sears supports its troops....
Reguarding this article, I have sent the following letter to Sears.com

To whom it may concern;

I learned of an event this week that has greatly affected myself as well
as several others in there opinion of the Sears Company. There is a
Service Technician who has dedicated the past 37 years of his life to the
Sears Company. He has been awarded "Top Tech" and has been presented with
several awards during his career.

After a transfer to his current work center, his supervisor has been
replaced three times over a one year period. He is currently working with
yet another new supervisor who he himself is managing two service center
over 100 miles apart. This Technician is one of only two qualified
Technicians in his field working the current area. Ten hour days are not
uncommon. Driving times are excessive due to the disorganized route
planning. His record of completed calls and non repeat calls is exemplary.
Yet, after a current evaluation, this Technician was put on probation for
not selling products that are not even stocked on his truck. The position
of Technician has a completely different functions than that of a Retail
Salesman.

The treatment of this Technician with an outstanding record of over 37
years of service to the Sears Company is completely unacceptable. Doesn't
fidelity, loyalty and quality workmanship mean anything to the Sears
Company? Is this the reward of 37 years of impeccable service to the Sears
Company? This Technician, with an outstanding record, has been penalized
through this degrading protocol of disciplinary action because he is not
selling what is not stocked on his truck and retail sales is not within
the primary purview of Service Technician.

This situation causes myself and others to question whether or not to
continue our support of Sears by being loyal Sears shoppers. Treatment of
hard working and dedicated employees, and those of over 37 years of
service, in such a demeaning and unfair manner raise legitimate concerns
with us. Sears should be ashamed!

snopes 20 January 2007 07:47 PM

Comment: Your response to the question about David Crosby being replaced
by a horse on an album cover is extremely generous toward Crosby. He
didn't just prosthelytize about drugs, he abused them to the point where
he totally destroyed his liver. Adicts and alcoholics in full swing of
their disease have been called "toxic" for good reason. Those with
obvious talent can become even more insufferable. That David Crosby is
now in recovery is a wonderful miracle, but it suggests that his problems
with his fellow Byrds involved more than debates about which songs should
make an album.

snopes 21 January 2007 12:05 AM

Comment: This whole story seems kinda fishy to me. This boy Shawn
Hornbeck has been missing since 2002. The man that suppossedly kidnapped
him is being charged with kidnapping. How is that? The boy had plenty of
opportunities to alert authorities that he was a missing kidnapped child.
The man provided him with a cell phone and internet access right? The man
also worked 2 jobs!! The man bought him a bike so the boy had apparently
rode it out in public for people to see him!! He had contact with police
to file a report that the bike was stolen. My concern is...what was wrong
with his family that made him want to keep a secret as to who he was?? I
dont believe the man had any intentions of hurting him. He kept him alive
for over 4 years. He had to of been taking care of him properly. Feeding
him and clothing him and giving him a bike and a cell phone and internet
access. To me there was plenty of times he could have alerted someone of
this strange man..right? Why was this boy so hell bent on not telling who
he really was? This makes me only think that there was something in his
own family life that made him not want to tell who he was and why he didnt
want to go back home to his parents. He must of been happy with this man
if he never told anyone who he was for 4 years! He also wrote a comment
on the website his parents made saying..."how long do you plan on looking
for your son". That is kinda weird to me, and shows he didnt want to go
back home. Maybe they should look into his home life before he was
suppossedly kidnapped.. im sure there will be something there that would
alert authorites on why he never told anyone who he really was. This is
just crazy to me. Maybe the parents are to blame for their sons
disappearance and why he never came home!!

snopes 21 January 2007 12:08 AM

Comment: On the discount mats article. If it is true, then bully for
them! If more companies would oppose the war, we would get the troops
back sooner instead of continuing this lunacy. Too bad, Haliburton does
not have a conscience.

rockland6674 21 January 2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 30963)
Comment: This whole story seems kinda fishy to me. This boy Shawn Hornbeck has been missing since 2002. The man that suppossedly kidnapped him is being charged with kidnapping. How is that? The boy had plenty of opportunities to alert authorities that he was a missing kidnapped child. {snip} My concern is...what was wrong with his family that made him want to keep a secret as to who he was?? I dont believe the man had any intentions of hurting him. He kept him alive for over 4 years. He had to of been taking care of him properly. Feeding him and clothing him and giving him a bike and a cell phone and internet access. {snip-ola} This makes me only think that there was something in his own family life that made him not want to tell who he was and why he didnt want to go back home to his parents. He must of been happy with this man if he never told anyone who he was for 4 years! {snip-a-roonie} Maybe the parents are to blame for their sons disappearance and why he never came home!!

You're not related to Bill O'Reilly by any chance, are you?

snopes 22 January 2007 07:40 PM

Comment: I read the message that bargain mats sent to the guy in Iraq who
was wantint to get mats for his platoon. I think it is ridiculious that
someone would respond that way.. My husband is in our US MARINE CORPS..
and I am very proud of him! Our family, and others suffer so that they can
have a job.. and not be attacked by terrorists, and live a happy FREE
life.. As far as this idiot goes, and what he said about our military,
that company should be shut down

snopes 26 January 2007 03:43 AM

Comment: I feel the racial rumors section is basically insulting to
african americans. I didnt come across one article downing any other race.
Why is that? Are african americans the only subjects you could come up
with to humuliate. There are rumors surrounding other races. Crimes
surrounding other races, goverment issues etc. I was insulted by that part
of your site. Make it for everyone, not just to offend african
americans...

snopes 26 January 2007 03:45 AM

Comment: I am proud, as an American, to have an ally such as Australia.
The article on Muslim's and their rights living in Australia and their
right to LEAVE Australia if they don't like it is what the American
government should be saying and doing here. It is discraceful that in
America, when making a telephone inquiry, a message says "press 1 if you
wish to continue in English." THAT is a bloody insult. I am a retired
Firefighter from New Jersy, USA and I'm thinking of moving to Australia.

snopes 26 January 2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

It is discraceful that in America, when making a telephone inquiry, a message says "press 1 if you wish to continue in English." THAT is a bloody insult.
And it's a DOUBLE disgrace to the memories of all those brave people who fought and died defending your right to unilingual phone menus!

Quote:

I am a retired Firefighter from New Jersy, USA and I'm thinking of moving to Australia.
I really think you should give Canada a try first ...

- snopes

queen of the caramels 26 January 2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 38781)
And it's a DOUBLE disgrace to the memories of all those brave people who fought and died defending your right to unilingual phone menus!



I really think you should give Canada a try first ...

- snopes

But not Quebec because here press 1 pour la service en Francais

snopes 27 January 2007 03:54 AM

Comment: I was at a gas station, "Union 76" and on the door was a hand
written sign that read as follows, A $1.00 fee will be charge for a credit
card trans, a .50 cent fee will be for a ATM use and $1.00 for a change
return. I asked the clerk if this was true and he said "yeah what of it"
and I ask him "if I give you a $20.00 bill and my gas intake is only
$15.00 dollars worth, it's going to cost me a $1.00 to get my change back.
He replied "Yes it will" Is this Leagel? This is not the only place I have
seen this and I now ask before I use any card " is there any fees" I usaly
get a "no we don't do that" but if you look some of them do. I was even
charged extra to eat inside of the local McDonals. What is up with that?

snopes 27 January 2007 08:29 AM

Comment: So what if the peaceful, smiling California children flew the
American flag upside down and under the Mexican flag. I see you are
against freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, the Constitution, The Bill
of Rights, democracy and perhaps all freedom. You are Anti-American and no
doubt a radical, fundamentalist terrorist and/or a republican.
The real horror is the slaughter of innocent Iraqi citizens and American
soldiers in Iraq. That is what our creepy, criminal govt. doesn't want us
to think about. So think about it, think about the real dangers to
America..the terrorst breeding grounds US has spread around the world, the
senseless, horrible slaughter, the disgust the rest of the world feels
toward us, the disgust we are beginning to feel for America in fact.
Think about that being our danger, not about innocent children, smiling
and enjoying themsleves peacefully by protesting as is their right by
flying a piece of cloth upside down. Where are your brains?

snopes 27 January 2007 09:57 PM

Comment: Okay, maybe the "CLINTON BODY COUNT" is possibly a stretch,
but the fact of the matter is that even ONE of these items being even
close to the truth would be enough to send the press and Congress in an
orgasmic frenzy to decapitate the current president. The man is a proven
lying scumbag who has been given a free pass because "he really cares.
**** him and **** you.

snopes 28 January 2007 08:02 PM

Comment: Collecting information on someone does not make what you say
about them so. We should have researched Bush a lot more. Who would have
thought the person who has undermined our country the most and in my book
the biggest terrorist in our country is George Bush. You cannot judge a
book by it's "anglosaxon christian" cover.

snopes 02 February 2007 11:04 PM

Comment: Why is there nothing on your site about the two biggest hoaxes of
all time? The Y2K fiasco was the biggest hoax ever put upon the world
until the human-made global warming hoax got started. At least Y2K had a
point of reckoning. This global warming doesn't have a date of reckoning.
For that reason it will exceed Y2K as the biggest hoax ever pulled in the
history of the world. And what I find amazing, is that there is nothing
on your website that talks about these.

snopes 02 February 2007 11:09 PM

Comment: im just commenting on disney being two faced. they wont release
the movie but they will make money because of rides at their park. they
also make money off selling characters from song of the south such as brer
rabbit,etc. how do they explain these characters? also they sell books,etc
dont they? either totally accept song of the south or dont. wont the bad
message get out because of the things they sell of the song of the south?

snopes 05 February 2007 03:31 AM

Comment: I joined the "BUYcott" of CITGO products, mainly because I
already believed Bush is an IMPERIALIST DICTATOR with more concern for
WORLD DOMINATION than caring for AMERICA long before Hugo Chavez stood up
and said what many of us were thinking.
When I heard of Chavez' remarks I said, "You Go, Hugo!" From that day on
I've bought CITGO gas almost exclusively.
The best part is what happened, next.
Until I used Citgo gas in my 2000 Altima, that annoying little "Check
Engine" light was burning brightly every time I started the engine. I
ignored it, like everyone I know does.
It went out within 30 minutes of my first ever fill-up at CITGO, and has
only come on twice since. Both times occured after I used another
brand(EXXON or SHELL) because I couldn't find a CITGO. It also went out
when I returned to CITGO gas each time.
All politics aside, there is a good reason to buy CITGO products. They
sell good gas.
If Bush is The Devil, he may as well give up the oil business because
he's already been beaten by an Angel, named Hugo Chavez.

snopes 09 February 2007 04:30 AM

Comment: I just wish the U.S. government had the good common sense to deal with law breaking immigrants and terrorest that your country has. I think you might call it a real lack of spine and a over dose of greed that comes about with cheep illegal labor and dirty votes.

snopes 09 February 2007 04:31 AM

Comment: sick and tired of reading about jap cars! _ _ _ _ them and the
horse they rode in on!

me, no really 09 February 2007 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 56300)
Comment: I just wish the U.S. government had the good common sense to deal with law breaking immigrants and terrorest that your country has. I think you might call it a real lack of spine and a over dose of greed that comes about with cheep illegal labor and dirty votes.

So snopes, did you move and not tell us?

me

snopes 14 February 2007 04:50 AM

Comment: Enjoyed the renderings of the USS New York. But, instead of
pride, I find it rediculous. To make a warship from Trade Center metal is
simply another act of hostility and beligerence (in the manner of our
idiot president).
Instead, it should be a floating clinic sent to provide medical care (to
those who have none) around the world.
That is something we could be proud of.

snopes 15 February 2007 09:46 PM

Comment: I was reading "The Unlovin' Oven", your article about children
left in cars to die. Well, I live in Phoenix, and I'm not gonna lie to
you, it's damn hot here. Anyways, it seems that not a year goes by that
this doesn't happen. Then last year I read something in the paper that
made me think "WTF?". It said to leave your cell phone or purse in the
back seat so you would remember that there was something important back
there. You would think a human life would be important enough, but hey,
I'm not a parent...what do I know?

snopes 18 February 2007 01:10 AM

Comment: How unfortunate that the routine pandering to the deity of choice is NOT finally eliminated from a secular piece of lucre.

The National Motto selected by the Founders was "e pluribus unum"--"out of many, one" that summarized the essence of the US nicely. Fast forward to the ultra-paranoid anti-Commie 1950's when the determination to smoke out those godless Commies was the National Obsession, and to prove our bona fides we slathered "God" all over everything, perpetrated to this date.

Spare me.

snopes 18 February 2007 01:15 AM

Comment: So, God caused Tony Dungy to win the Super Bowl! That is just amazing! I did NOT know that God was a Colts fan. I wonder if God was a Colts fan when the name was in Baltimore?

In fact, I did not know that God watched the Super Bowl. He must have been really pissed off when Janet Jackson exposed her titty. I suspect she and Justin Timberlake are going to Hell for that.

Of course, we know that God is a Republican, so I guess he must be a football fan, too.

rockland6674 18 February 2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 66741)
Spare me.

My thoughts exactly, after reading your spiel.

snopes 21 February 2007 09:17 PM

Comment: Alameda, California

Dear Editor
I have just read your article Muslims out of Australia.
I am overwhelemed. It is the first article I have read that has addressed
the problem.

I, my family and friends all have the same agenda. We are tired of
apologizing for being Americans. The majority of our friends are either
first or second generation Americans and they are proud of that fact and
the realization that this country is almost the last bastion of freedom.

We have at various times voiced the same opinion. If anyone is so unhappy
with conditions in this country, than you are free to leave. We have been
too lienent with dissenters. Perhaps we should start exhibiting some
backbone and exact firmer and swifter punishment for the culprits that are
inciting these acts of terrorism and hate.

We hope that your message has reached all your countrymen and that it has
reached our shores. Something must be done before there is internal
conflict.

Ieuan ab Arthur 22 February 2007 04:38 PM

Hi All:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 71061)
... they are proud of that fact and the realization that this country is almost the last bastion of freedom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 71061)
We have been too lienent with dissenters.

This one is so wrong and so sad. Somewhere between "last bastion of freedom" and "dissent," the OP undergoes one major logic disconnect.

I could take a couple cheap shots at the content, but it really does speak for itself.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "You're only free if you agree with me" ab Arthur

snopes 25 February 2007 06:27 AM

Comment: For the last few months I have been receiving UNWANTED and
UNSOLICETED E_MAILs to my address captioned above> Theall have some
connection and content refering to UL. For the most part they seem to be
a forun for people interested in discussin some aspect of URBAN LEDGENDS;
They also seemt to be facilitated by some connection to YAHOO!! I want
this pracrice to cease forwith as my time does not permit the perusal of
such missives. I have tried to delete thes and even block the senders e
mail address. I resent this intrusion to my time and my computer!

snopes 25 February 2007 06:50 PM

Comment: re: Bank of America not requiring Soc. Sec. numbers:

Too bad for us, the American citizens, who have a congress of whores who
care more for their pockets than our security.
Yeah, and Bravo for B of A for taking advantage of our freedoms to make a
buck, while our congress cannot seem to close the back door. Had our
President or congress stepped up to bat years ago, this wouldn't/couldn't
have happened with the credit card issue. When will we, the real citizens
of this country, fire the incumbents, all of them.

Class Bravo 25 February 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 61772)
Comment: Enjoyed the renderings of the USS New York. But, instead of pride, I find it rediculous. To make a warship from Trade Center metal is simply another act of hostility and beligerence (in the manner of our
idiot president). Instead, it should be a floating clinic sent to provide medical care (to those who have none) around the world.
That is something we could be proud of.

Yeah, we could be proud of it -- at least until we realize that our highly-praised floating clinic can't help Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Chad, Niger, or any other landlocked country. Maybe we could use the leftover materials to make a floating blimp-clinic to get to the rest of the countries.

snopes 11 March 2007 06:57 AM

Comment: After learning that Target Corporation "out-sources" jobs to
India, I cancelled my account, something I think all Americans should know
about. Taking food out of the mouths of Americans is unconscionable!
When I called the "customer service" call center, I was greeted by someone
who could barely speak English and could hardly understand me. When I
asked him where he was, he told me he was in India. I immediately
requested to speak to someone in the United States. I was transferred to
a supervisor. When I commented on the fact that I was very disappointed
that Target Stores out-sourced jobs to India she said that they do have a
call center in the United States as well. I don't know about you, but
knowing that they purposely send jobs overseas is enough to convince me
that doing business with Target sends my money overseas. I suggest every
stop shopping there, I know I will!

snopes 12 March 2007 02:56 AM

Comment: I wonder who is running the U S Mint these days. This new
Washington dollar looks like it could have been drawn by a school kid with
crayon in contrast to most coins of the past which gave great stature to
our money and by inference the idea of America as an institution to be
looked up to by the rest of the world. This coin looks like money from
many newly formed third world countries.

The issue of the printing on the side is explained away as avoiding
"clutter". That didn't seem to be a problem in the past. No matter the
excuses given for the change, it does have the effect of deminishing the
effect of those pronouncments.Whether it was done through mendacity or
just wrongheadedness the result is the same. This coin may gain some tepid
acceptance mostly because it is to be part of a series like the quarter,
but I believe those making these changes do much damage to our collective
psyche by their heavy handed actions. I for one will fight on to stem the
tide of dumming down America every day in a thousand ways by not accepting
this coin as "coin of the realm" . I only hope that others will do the
same as they did with the last two "politically correct" excretions foist
upon us from the U S Mint;.

snopes 12 March 2007 02:57 AM

Quote:

Taking food out of the mouths of Americans is unconscionable!
Because, of course, Americans -- and only Americans -- have a God-given right to food.

- snopes

snopes 12 March 2007 03:06 AM

Comment: I just read the article about the $125 fine for not signing your
auto registration in the state of MI, and something else came to mind.
Also in MI, we have a tax on "nothing". Here is how it works: As an
example, let's say you need a new battery for your car. When you buy the
battery, there is a "core charge". This is like a deposit you pay to make
sure you bring the old battery back. You pay the core charge and then they
give it back to you when the old one is returned. It used to be that if
you had your "core" with you, you didn't need to pay the "core charge"
because you were already returning it. Not any more! Now, you are charged
the core charge regardless of if you have the old part or not, AND you pay
the 6% sales tax on it as well. BUT you do not get the sales tax back when
the core charge is "refunded" to you. So, lets say a new battery costs
$100 and the core charge is $10, and you have your old battery with you.
Here's your charges: $100 plus $6 sales tax plus $10 core charge plus 60
cents sales tax for a total of $116.60, then you get the $10 core charge
back, for an end cost of $106.60. You just paid 60 cents sales tax on
"nothing".
In this example, I suppose 60 cents is not a big deal, but there are
many parts which require a very much higher core charge. The point is,
this really is a tax on "nothing", and there is no way around it.
Originally, you didn't have to pay the core charge if you had the core
with you, but now it is charged to you (along with the sales tax)
regardless.

snopes 12 March 2007 03:14 AM

Comment: i think that is sick that people that animate movies have to
throw in sick jokes,like in the disney films that is inapropreate for
little childeren. i am disgusted

snopes 12 March 2007 03:43 AM

Comment: Dear Snopes.com, No matter what you say about Obama, I would
never vote for him because he is wet behind the ears. He has no
experience about governing or government. He also is a demorat! Hillary
is sure getting rid of her rivals hey?

snopes 12 March 2007 09:02 AM

Comment: I was viewing a LIFETIME MOVIE on the LTM channel Last night
(3-10-07). The name of this show was THE BENEFICERARY and at one point in
this movie which was made back in 1996, they edited out "CHRIST" when
saying for CHRIST SAKES during a dialog....

I could tell it was bleeped out because all I heard was SAKES when these
two actors were saying their dialog pertaining to this movie based on a
Crime.

Maybe I missheard it, but I don't I REALLY Do not think so since this
country is removing GOD, CHRIST or LORD from Schools, Business, and next
to come, our CHURCHES!!

Tarquin Farquart 12 March 2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopes (Post 93666)
Maybe I missheard it, but I don't I REALLY Do not think so since this country is removing GOD, CHRIST or LORD from Schools, Business, and next to come, our CHURCHES!!

There are other words that can proceed "sake" apart from Christ.

kitoboo 12 March 2007 09:44 AM

Oh, for Pete's sake.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.